315 vs. Venture\Legend

Guest TeamBuckster

All three are good quality units. If you only want to use them for geocaching I think any will do, but the 315 may have a slight edge under heavy tree cover (but I didn't notice any problems while hiking with a friend's Legend under foliage). However, I'd encourage you to go with a unit that can support maps, like the Legend or Mag 330 if there's any chance you'll also want to use it for normal travel activities. The basemaps provide about the same detail as state highway maps and are very useful alone, and you can add the detailed maps later.

Guest Tomebug

I have both a 315 and a venture. I really like the screen on the venture, it is more detailed and has more characters for naming waypoints, however, my 315 almost never loses reception, it is much better under tree cover and even in the car than my venture. Also, the 315 has a field for notes on each waypoint page that the venture does not have, so you can add an address or whatever. So, I guess I have to say I like the 315 better as far as usefulness. Now if it only had those cute litte geocaching icons!!

Yes. If you have the firmware update. If you are buying your unit new, it should not be a problem. If not, you can easily download the update from the magellangps web site. The 315 is a fantastic unit for the money. with the exception of maps, this unit has it all. I am hinting strong on the meridian gold as a Christmas gift but even if I get it my trusty 315 will still be on the active list.

geosign.gif

Guest jfitzpat

I'd probably lean towards the eTex Legend, I think they are all fine units, and I actually think that the front panel controls on the GPS 315 are easier to use than the little 'nipple' on the Garmin (especially when you are bundled up in shell gear!), but the shape and size of the eTex units is really nice for hiking.

I actually have a Vista, not a Legend, but the base map in both is pretty decent for road travel and the Garmin MapSource maps (add on) are not bad.

One thing nice about the Garmin is that it has gobs of units and map projection options. That can be handy if you are coordinating your GPS with a printed map.

Good Luck

-jjf

Guest rgerman95

I bought the Legend about 3 months ago - and have been very pleased. Compact and very rugged - at least my kids haven't been able to break it yet.

I did some basic research before purchase, including reading a lot of posts in this forum. There is tons of good information available here and the people are knowledgable and friendly.

I appreciate the mapping capabilities; the 8mb of memory allows a decent-sized download.

icon_biggrin.gif The supposed knock on this unit is its inability to hold a lock under heavy tree cover, but I have not had too many problems. It should be noted that I purchased mine in the fall, when the trees had already begun losing their leaves - so take that comment with a grain of salt.

------------------

Rich in Western Pennsylvania

N 40 33.029

W 079 59.408

Guest rgerman95

I bought the Legend about 3 months ago - and have been very pleased. Compact and very rugged - at least my kids haven't been able to break it yet.

I did some basic research before purchase, including reading a lot of posts in this forum. There is tons of good information available here and the people are knowledgable and friendly.

I appreciate the mapping capabilities; the 8mb of memory allows a decent-sized download.

icon_biggrin.gif The supposed knock on this unit is its inability to hold a lock under heavy tree cover, but I have not had too many problems. It should be noted that I purchased mine in the fall, when the trees had already begun losing their leaves - so take that comment with a grain of salt.

------------------

Rich in Western Pennsylvania

N 40 33.029

W 079 59.408