WARNING - GPX FILES CONTAINING VIRUS!

I have custom GPX files sent periodically and today I got the following message from my ISP.

"Yahoo! Mail Virus Protection detected a virus in the file '5584.gpx', attached to the enclosed email message. We scanned the file using Norton AntiVirus but were unable to clean it. Therefore, we removed the content of the attachment from the message. Please contact the message sender if you want to receive the attachment. They must clean the file and resend it before we can deliver it to you safely."

I've received two of these today.

Anybody else getting viruses with their GPX files?

paul_stratton

And to think that I once had trouble finding my own "@@@" with both hands...

Microsoft Outlook doesn't like GPX files either. I can't even download them! I have to get the .ZIP file

now I'm not saying a virus can't exist, but my first guess would be that Yahoo doesn't know what they are an in the name of 'caution' reports it as a virus.

I could be wrong. <smile> - JamesJM

This has also been occurring with the GPX files I have been getting lately. Yahoo has been saying they contain a virus.

I have been forwarding the emails as an attachment to my ISP email account and then rescanning them with Norton Antivirus and they have been coming up clean. There must be something within the GPX file that yahoo objects to as is metioned in the thread by GeoFool.

quote:
Originally posted by JamesJM:

Microsoft Outlook doesn't like GPX files either. I can't even download them!

I use Outlook and have never had a problem with GPX files.

I have also used MacAfee and now use Norton antivirus and have not had either one indicate my pocket query GPX file was infected.

DustyJacket

Not all those that wander are lost. But in my case... icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks Everyone!

I've changed my PQs to be in zipped format and that seems to work. I've been getting PQs in regular GPX and eBook formats for over 10 months, today they're being rejected by my ISP.

I'm sure there is a valid reason for the rejections, but as long as I continue getting my PQs, the reason doesn't matter... Even though the ISP scans for viruses, I always scan zipped files and everything else that is downloaded. McAfee works!

paul_stratton

And to think that I once had trouble finding my own "@@@" with both hands...

If you get a gpx file that's flagged as a virus, just open it in wordpad, notepad, or whatever and see if there's anything in there that doesn't look like waypoints and header info. gpx is really xml code which could be executed (by a browser). Since html/xml viruses do exist, they could be present in a gpx file. Just don't ever load the infected file into a browser and you should be fine. Better yet, just edit out the offending code. Somewhere on the topografix web site is a complete specification for the gpx format. You could go there if you really want to know everything that's legal in a file.

quote:

gpx is really xml code which could be executed (by a browser). Since html/xml viruses do exist, they could be present in a gpx file.

Now that's enough to scare the hell out of you. Someone injects some (javascript/vbscript/activex/etc...) code into a cache page. When you open with something like Watcher or browse on your local hard drive, you're running untrusted code in the "local" zone (or whatever IE calls it).

Hmm.. Now to figure out how to sneak a script into a cache page and make it self replicating... icon_wink.gif