Hack for opening screen of a GPSV ?

Centaur

quote:
Originally posted by durandall:

While talking about memap, why can't I edit my 2.08 firmware for my GPS V?

All I get, whatever I try, is the screen on the pic below:

http://homepage.swissonline.net/durandall/Pics/memap.jpg

Somone has an idea what the problem is?

Thanks! durandall

I haven't had a chance to try it yet but I'm almost willing to bet the notice given on the page...

NOTE: MeMap does not work with version 2.70 and above of the eMap firmware - messages in these versions are stored in a proprietary compressed format, which MeMap cannot handle. Since it works with the firmware of other devices (e.g. the new eTrex series), I've decided to keep MeMap available though.

...is talking about firmware version 2.07 and above, making the program useless for you and I.

Hope I'm wrong! I'd like to change my screen as well.

~Honest Value Never Fails~

You mean was there a preview in Emap after you entered your data? NO, I did not see it, but if you enter it all in then leave (save it) and then go back in again (searching with your new data that you entered and NOT: Do not attempt...) then it will show you what was entered and saved in the upper left box. I actually had to reload the ver 2.08 a few times to get my message right as it was cut off at the bottom, but eventually it came out the way I wanted it.

Sorry for the confusion

-UA icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

You mean was there a preview in Emap after you entered your data? NO, I did not see it, but if you enter it all in then leave (save it) and then go back in again (searching with your new data that you entered and NOT: Do not attempt...) then it will show you what was entered and saved in the upper left box. I actually had to reload the ver 2.08 a few times to get my message right as it was cut off at the bottom, but eventually it came out the way I wanted it.

Sorry for the confusion

-UA icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

There was a thread on how to hack the Meridian on "the other site" (n@vic@che).

Search for a thread called Info for Magellan Meridian users, How to change the "lawyer" screen in the Magellan GPS forum

Also, check out the Yahoo Group "Magellian Meridian"...there are a few files you can download there, too (editing icons, for example).

I have not tried these yet, if anyone has had success (or failure), please let us know about it.

homer.gif

"If you really want something in this life, you have to work for it. Now, quiet! The're about to announce the lottery numbers..."

[This message was edited by Stunod on October 01, 2002 at 12:07 PM.]

GPSr V mods.

The following assumes you are using the MeMap software (or something like it). Make sure MeMap is in the same directory as the Garmin firmware that you want to change - for me it was the file 015501000208.rgn, which is release 2.08. I made a copy of this file before changing it with MeMap. After making a back up copy - I proceeded with the following:

1. Start MeMap and do a search for WARNING - (this is case sensitive, so use all caps in the WARNING) the result will come back with "Gary P".

2. Replace Gary P with "Owner" - then save and exit MeMap.

3. Start MeMap a second time and do a search for "Do Not".

4. Replace the info with your name, email addr, etc. In doing this, I received an error from MeMap saying I had exceeded the number of characters I could replace. Since I had a back up of the file, I went ahead and saved the file with "too many characters" anyway. As it turns out, my changes though reported by MeMap as an error were just FINE - absolutely no problems in how the firmware has been running.

Once you have made the changes using MeMap, then you run the standard Garmin firmware upgrade process using the now-changed file. It works great.

If you enter too many characters all it does is cut off the ending of the text in one of the orientations. I don't remember if it was landscape or portrait. (GPS being vertical or horizontal, "push and hold page") I did the same, it was fine one way but the text was cut off the other.

[This message was edited by ProStreet on October 04, 2002 at 03:17 PM.]

I just hacked my GPSV program file before i uploaded the new version. I was going to use Memap, but I wanted to see if one of my hex file editors would work. And Yes, any good hex file editor should be able to open the program file, and then do a find on WARNING. This gets you to the text area of the program file, where you can use the hex editor to change the warning screen text. The trick is to NEVER alter the length of the file or overwrite the NUL (00 hex) characters between the text strings. If you dont know what im talking about or have never used a HEX file editor, then DO NOT ATTEMPT this. You are on your own if you corrupt your program file and break your GPS. There seems to be no error checking or checksum checks in the program upload routine. Again: You are on your own for whatever changes you make to the files. Don't look at me if you wreck your GPS. icon_smile.gif

-Centaur

logo_small.jpg

I just hacked my GPSV program file before i uploaded the new version. I was going to use Memap, but I wanted to see if one of my hex file editors would work. And Yes, any good hex file editor should be able to open the program file, and then do a find on WARNING. This gets you to the text area of the program file, where you can use the hex editor to change the warning screen text. The trick is to NEVER alter the length of the file or overwrite the NUL (00 hex) characters between the text strings. If you dont know what im talking about or have never used a HEX file editor, then DO NOT ATTEMPT this. You are on your own if you corrupt your program file and break your GPS. There seems to be no error checking or checksum checks in the program upload routine. Again: You are on your own for whatever changes you make to the files. Don't look at me if you wreck your GPS. icon_smile.gif

-Centaur

logo_small.jpg

OK, searched for WARNING and replaced it with the seven letters of my last name. Then I searched for "Do not attempt" and replaced it with my contact info. I then re-loaded 2.08 and I get nothing. What am I doing wrong?!!? icon_mad.gif

If your house catches afire, and there aint no water around,

Throw your jelly out the window; let the dog-gone shack burn down.

**Huddie Ledbetter**

OK, searched for WARNING and replaced it with the seven letters of my last name. Then I searched for "Do not attempt" and replaced it with my contact info. I then re-loaded 2.08 and I get nothing. What am I doing wrong?!!? icon_mad.gif

**Huddie Ledbetter**

Here is how I did it...I just did a search on Do not attempt (This is case sensitive) I did not even touch the search for Warning. Then when the edit screen pops up you should see all the text of the Warning screen...fill in with all the info that you want then exit. Now run the 2.08 update. Make sure that you have followed all the instructions from the Memap page regarding all of the files and the programs in the same folder prior to doing this. Also, remember that if the text does'nt come out right on the GPS screen you can go through the whole procedure again and edit the text as needed until you get it right (just edit and then re-load 2.08) Hope this helps.

-UA

Over and over I load it and get nothing. Then I realize that there are three files with the extenstion, because I still had the old updates in the file. I delted them all, re-unzipped the 2.08, and wah-la, it worked!

**Huddie Ledbetter**

There is always a reason why things do not work, but getting to it can be nerve wracking. This is especially true when messing with computers and devices that are built on them. As Will Rogers used to say: "There is a natural cussedness to all inanimate objects."

Congratulations for getting it figured out.