Topo Software and the PDA

Growley

I have been interested in switching to paperless geocaching and purchased a Dell Axim 5 a few months ago. I have uploaded National Geographic Topo (pocket edition) which is working alright for now. I was wondering if anyone else has tried other topographical software on their PDAs? I am interested in Maptechs Outdoor Navigator because for $99.95 for the first year you have unlimited topo map downloads from around the country. Once the subscription runs out you can still use the maps downloaded earlier. Has anyone else tried this or any other software? Thanks for your input.

Hey Growley,

I too have a Dell Axim X5 and relly like using it for caching. I use the BC307 CF slot gps and several software apps (mapopolis, cachedragon, navio etc). I am really interested in a topo program and tried the Maptech demo. I couldn't get it to work.....

.....So any input is welcome here...

Good luck with your search for good topos,

Safe caching,

Dave, Akron, Ohio

I just picked up a iPaq 2215 spec. because the mapping/GPS is so much better on the PPC side. I already have SSH2004. I actually prefer it on my Sony Palm OS unit esp. with Codediver getting the full 320x480 screen. Lots o' map!

I currently have tried on the iPaq: Navio (freezes the unit icon_frown.gif), SSH2004 (works very well, have the ability to use DeLorme Topo4 if I purchase it), Outdoor Navigator (very nice program, topo maps in 1/24 scale are gorgeous, I believe GPS Babel converts to the appropriate format), GPS dash (very slick looking interface), and a couple others I've forgotten already.

The one that really interests me is the Pocket Navigator line. It seems to be the full fledged version of ON. I really like the fact it shows you're track on the maps similiar to a mapping GPS. None of the others seem to do this. Almost a complete GPS replacement! Cons are it's cost AND you have to purchase a compatible map package.

The more I think about it and play with them I lean towards purchasing Topo4. Works on my Palm, PPC and on my laptop (if I get a Bluetooth card for it I can connect the GPS as well- TOTAL GPS geekdom!)

sranddboggny.us has posted a little howto somewhere in here on how to convert waypoints/caches into topo4 and load em on your PDA. Handy. Of course Mapopolis does the same , but only on street level maps.

Choices, choices, choices.... icon_eek.gif