long/lat readings on eTrex

biohzrd

Hi,

Novice question:

I just picked up an eTrex (the cheap one). I can only get it to display my current longitude and latitude by going to the sub-menu "mark waypoint".

Isn't there an easier way? So far, to find a cache by it's coordinates, I have to repeatedly hit this "mark waypoint" button, to see if I'm getting nearer or farther.

Does the Magellan 315 have a better display? Or is the longitude and latitude information totally buried in sub-menu's like the eTrex?

icon_confused.gif

biohzrd

Assuming the basic yellow is very similar in function to my Legend...

You WANT to enter the coordinates of the cache as a waypoint. Then, use the GOTO function to locate the cache. On the navigation (compass) page, the eTrex will point you toward the cache (as the crow flies). Also on that page, you SHOULD see some data fields that tell you the distance to the cache, as well as other things. On the Legend, you can customize what data fields are showing.

Have fun!

For CURRENT lat/lon on yellow eTrex, push the top right button until you get the screen with the compass on it. Then keep pressing top left button until coords are displayed at bottom of that screen. it will also cycle through MPH, top speed, average speed, trip time, and a few other things.

Save our forests, wipe your *** with a tree-hugger.