Are the Rino's able to talk to Motorola walkie talkies?

I did a bit of research on the Garmin rino's. There are 2 models- the 110 which is FRS and there is the 120 which is the FRS/GMRS. They are indeed compatable with any other FRS or GMRS radios.

FYI- the GPS unit on the 120 is similar to the Legend unit but with a better antenna.

Very cool gadgets.

-CrossRidgers

quote:
Originally posted by CrossRidgers:

I did a bit of research on the Garmin rino's. There are 2 models- the 110 which is FRS and there is the 120 which is the FRS/GMRS. They are indeed compatable with any other FRS or GMRS radios.

FYI- the GPS unit on the 120 is similar to the Legend unit but with a better antenna.

Very cool gadgets.

-CrossRidgers

Could you please point me to the source of your information that shows the 110 as FRS? And I seriously doubt that the 120 is truely a FRS/GMRS hybrid. I am far more inclined to believe that it is a GMRS radio. GMRS shares the bottom 7 channles with FRS.

Respectfully,

AtP

Since a GMRS enabled device runs at a higher wattage than an FRS device, thus the license requirments, the Rino will be able to talk to other FRS radios. If the other device is too far away for the lower wattage transmitter, the Rino may not get the signal back.

The frequency inversion that is used to "encrypt" communication between FRS devices is usually manufacturer specific so this would be something to be tested once the Rinos come out and probably avoided except with other Rinos.

Remember, the FCC license is required for any device with the capability to use GMRS, no matter if you are only using the FRS channels. Not getting the license is breaking the law and there are people who look for pirates as a hobby.

quote:
Originally posted by Atilla the Pun:

quote:
Originally posted by CrossRidgers:

Very cool gadgets.

-CrossRidgers

Could you please point me to the source of your information that shows the 110 as FRS? And I seriously doubt that the 120 is truely a FRS/GMRS hybrid. I am far more inclined to believe that it is a GMRS radio. GMRS shares the bottom 7 channles with FRS.

Respectfully,

AtP

Checkout http://www.garmin.com/products/rino/index.html

There are several FRS/GMRS radios on the market. The peer-to-peer functionality is only for the FRS band. I think I heard somewhere that GMRS prohibits data transfers on this band other than voice.

Hope this helps.

CrossRidgers