extracting waypoint list from saved tracks/Garmin-Mapsource

The Face

OK heres My problem,

I have a saved track that I made last year(not a route) on a boat trip out of a canadian lake. the track is 14 miles long and contains 110 points that My GPSr saved during the trip.

this year before I left again for my vacation I wanted to turn this track into a list of waypoints I could also load into my GPSr, thinking that I could share the list with a friend following me in another boat so he could also enter the waypoints into his GPSr manually since his is another brand.

I couldnt figure out a way to transform this saved track into a route or a loadable list of waypoints for My GPSr or a printable form for me to share.

I used both Mapsource and Easy gps and neither helped me out. Am I missing something here? is this possible to do even?

My GPSr is a GPSmap76S, (which i love) I also have a gps 12 that I tried to load the track into hoping it would just take the waypoints...no dice.

anyone have any clues?

I have 2 Legends and a 12XL

The trouble with the "new" models is the Tracbac function doesn't generate waypoints. The old models do...

So:

use Mapsource to load the track into the GPS12

Get the GPS12 to generate a tracbac. This will give you a route containing max 30 waypoints

download from GPS12 into Mapsource and you have your route and waypoints which you can then upload to any Garmin

BB

quote:
Originally posted by Bexy Bear & Tiger Tash:

I have 2 Legends and a 12XL

The trouble with the "new" models is the Tracbac function doesn't generate waypoints. The old models do...

So:

use Mapsource to load the track into the GPS12

Get the GPS12 to generate a tracbac. This will give you a route containing max 30 waypoints

download from GPS12 into Mapsource and you have your route and waypoints which you can then upload to any Garmin

That's completely unnecessary. While tracks aren't stored as "waypoints", they are stored as coordinates, and you can easily download them (all of them), and upload them to another GPS. I use G7ToWin to do this. Just tried it with the track that was in the unit from this weekend's caching - it downloaded all 678 track coordinates, with date/time stamp, altitude, total distance traveled, velocity (meters/second), etc. It will download the active track, as well as any saved tracks.

3608_2800.gif

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."

Hey thanks for the replys,

to answer your questions in order,

Prime, its a saved track on my GPSr although I also have it saved in Mapsource. I could get mapsource to show me a list of points that the track consisted of but I couldnt figure out how to move them anywhere else in mapsource,like say to a seperate waypoint list,I couldnt even print the list out,I'm guessing the print problem has somthing to do with the file type. I'm not up on all the file types and not much of a computer/program guru. I know enough to get around on the net and keep my machine running but not alot more.

In the meantime I'll check out G7toWin and see if that'll fix me up.

Bexy , you had the "track" right, it was a saved track/trackback route that My GPSr auto generated(kindda hard to edit a "real" route when your doin 35MPH in 3 foot waves).I set My GPSr to mark a "point" every 10 seconds I think when I first planned on marking that trail.

Maybe this will help,

I saved that track,and all the other info off My GPSr into its own file, when I needed it this year I opened the file. on the left side of the Mapsource screen it seperates routes,waypoints,tracks,maps,and GPS for live tracking,hit tracks tab, then if I click on the track it highlights all the info,then right click and choose track properties. it gives me all 110 points the GPSr auto save/marked.

Problem is I cant get that list moved anywhere else. whats up ?

quote:
Originally posted by The Face:

I saved that track,and all the other info off My GPSr into its own file, when I needed it this year I opened the file. on the left side of the Mapsource screen it seperates routes,waypoints,tracks,maps,and GPS for live tracking,hit tracks tab, then if I click on the track it highlights all the info,then right click and choose track properties. it gives me all 110 points the GPSr auto save/marked.

Problem is I cant get that list moved anywhere else. whats up ?

MapSource doesn't have any facility to export tracks. You can up/download them from your GPS, display them on the map, and do a little editing. But that's about it. EasyGPS doesn't handle tracks at all. G7ToWin does, it's freeware, and it works with Garmin, Magellan, and Lowrance/Eagle units, so you should be able to upload it to your friends GPS.

3608_2800.gif

I've come up with a very round-about way (my head is still spinning) of getting the track points from Mapsource to a CSV(comma-delimited) file so that the coords can be imported into various software other than Mapsource or EasyGPS. I have Fugawi which does allow importing of CSV waypoint files which can then be downloaded to a GPSR.

In a nutshell it involves a copy & paste of the Mapsource track points to Excel, deleting unnecessary columns, doing some editing "replace with", saving as a text(tab-delimited) file, then re-opening in Excel so that the import wizard gets involved and allows manipulation so that a CSV(comma-delimited) file can be created.

Someone please tell me there is an easier way. It is however a lot faster than inputting the coords manually one at a time.

Cheers, Olar

"You are only young once but you can stay immature forever"

quote:
Originally posted by Olar:

Someone please tell me there is an easier way.

G7ToWin could help. Upload the tracks from MapSource back to your GPS, then download them into G7ToWin. Then you can simply save them as a CSV file. It's one of the many output file types it supports.

3608_2800.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Olar:

In a nutshell it involves a copy & paste of the Mapsource track points to Excel, deleting unnecessary columns, doing some editing "replace with", saving as a text(tab-delimited) file, then re-opening in Excel so that the import wizard gets involved and allows manipulation so that a CSV(comma-delimited) file can be created.

Oh, my.

GPSBabel can read and write every format you cite AND even do the serial upload if you like.

It also (very) recently learned how to read tracks from Mapsource which may help the original poster. You don't say what the "other brand" is, but if it's Magellan, you're probably in luck and a

gpsbabel -t -i mapsource -f yourthingy.mps -o mapsend -F histhingy.wpt

will likely convert it. (And if it doesn't, submit a help request on the GPSBabel mailing list.)

http://gpsbabel.sourceforge.net

Once again thanks for the replys!

It looks to me ,after a quick glance at both G7 & Babel, that both should do what I need,Now the question Is will I be able the figure it out!Like I said earier I'm a bit of a ludyte..er half ludyte?I'm sure I'll get it after a few tries and some more reading of those sites.

I really dont know why Garmin/Mapsource doesnt allow that transfer in its own software. I thought after a bit of messing around that a cut&paste would have been able to do the trick...but heck that would be to easy.

my friends GPS is an OLD EagleNav somthinganother, probally 10 years old, and downloading to that is really out of the question since He doesnt have cable much less know how to use the thing, but their were 2-GPS12s in the group I was traveling in and I knew/hoped I could have created routes on those units once I got a simple watpoint list extracted from the track in mapsource.

Oh well our trip Is over and I have a year to figure all this out.I thought of(and may yet) simply eliminating a bunch of the points in the track to make a shorter list of waypoints to enter(somehow yet to be determined after more reading)into one of the 12s. but the lake I was on has 14000+ islands and LOTS of rock reefs and if I take out the wrong ones bad things could happen.

Thanks again for all the help,I'll see what I come up with after I mess around with those 2 programs.