the real skinny on importing maps into Mag.Mer.Gold/Plat...

hi, i'm in the market for my first GPSr, and I've narrowed the search to the Garmin Vista, V, 76s; Mag.Mer.Gold/Plat (don't worry, i won't ask which is *best* icon_wink.gif

But I'm confused about which maps can be imported into the Magellan GPSr's listed above. (one of my criteria)

According to this page (http://www.offroute.com/comparisons/gps-compare.html) the Meridians' "Downloadable Map Options" are the "MapSend CD-Roms" (from Magellan) but no mention of others....

And according to this page (http://www.gpsinformation.net/mgoldreview/mag-gold.htm)

"...Third-Party Software Compatibility

This version of the [Meridian] GOLD can exchange and store data with OziExplorer, Street Atlas (SA) 8 and 9, Delorme TOPO, MapSend, and possibly others...."

Anyone know if the Easy/ExpertGPS s.w. will work with the Meridian Units? What about other topo stuff you've used?

(I'm interested in it for caching and codifying all the hiking we've been/are doing)

quote:
Originally posted by hakalugi:

hi, i'm in the market for my first GPSr, and I've narrowed the search to the Garmin Vista, V, 76s; Mag.Mer.Gold/Plat (don't worry, i won't ask which is *best* icon_wink.gif

But I'm confused about which maps can be imported into the Magellan GPSr's listed above. (one of my criteria)

According to this page (http://www.offroute.com/comparisons/gps-compare.html) the Meridians' "Downloadable Map Options" are the "MapSend CD-Roms" (from Magellan) but no mention of others....

And according to this page (http://www.gpsinformation.net/mgoldreview/mag-gold.htm)

"...Third-Party Software Compatibility

This version of the [Meridian] GOLD can exchange and store data with OziExplorer, Street Atlas (SA) 8 and 9, Delorme TOPO, MapSend, and possibly others...."

Anyone know if the Easy/ExpertGPS s.w. will work with the Meridian Units? What about other topo stuff you've used?

(I'm interested in it for caching and codifying all the hiking we've been/are doing)

‘Exchanging data” and “loading maps” is NOT the same thing.

Garmin units can be loaded with Garmin MapSource maps.

Magellan units can be loaded with Magellan MapSend maps.

Many other software can exchange data with Garmin and Magellan and other units but the “exchange” is limited to waypoints, routes, tracks. NOT maps.

AFAIK Easy/ExpertGPS s.w. will work with the Magellan and Garmin units. Again, it will exchange data, not maps.

I'm using TTQV with QVN topo maps with Garmin, Magellan and Lowrance receivers. Naturally, it would be hard to expect me to use something else. After all I’m involved with TTQV and QVN

Andrew Kalinowski

www.GPSNuts.com Recreational GPS and mapping (hobby)

www.CanadianMaps.ca Raster topo (and some other) maps

quote:
Originally posted by gpsmapnut:

‘Exchanging data” and “loading maps” is NOT the same thing.

thanks for the response.

while you were typing this, I came across the following from Ranz:

"...Magellan Mapsend is the only application that will load maps to a Magellan GPS. Garmin Mapsource is the only application that will load maps to a Garmin GPS. I am not really familiar with Lawrence but I assume that the same applies...."

sorry for the confusion. I'll contact the Easy/ExpertGPS people regarding Meri. product compatibility...

I use ExpertGPS quite a bit and it works great on my Meridian Gold. I also use a GPS315 and two Garmin units (Emap and Vista) with no troubles.

There are no compatibilty issues with my MeriGold that I have found. In fact, the only problem (not really a problem) is that the waypoint icon for the airplane looked a little goofy to me. Topografix said he would even look at that minor detail. They have been very responsive and I can't say enough good about the program

geosign.gif