clinton unscrambled the satilite signals?

Guest Manuel casillas

Guest Manuel casillas

I have read that clinton ordered the military to stop scrambling the GPS signal so that personnel non military units will have a better "fix" on your actual location. My question is can my old Garmin 12 map take advantage of the better signal or do I need a new GPS to get the best "fix". Also how does my 12 map rate as fair as gps go I used it for backpacking where accuracy is not as much an issue as it is w/ geocaching, my new hobbie. Do I need a better unit for this?

Guest bob_renner

Your GPS12MAP will work great with the "unscrambled" signals. You don't need to buy a newer receiver unless you have so much money that it's burning a hole in your pocket. The only thing the 12MAP is missing is the new WAAS signal. This improves the accuracy but unless a geocache was hidden with a WAAS receiver, the posted coordinates could be off by up to 10 meters. The 12MAP is a better unit than my old Garmin GPS38 that I was using (now have an eTrex Legend). The 38 led me to over 20 caches with very little trouble. Your 12MAP should do as well or better.

Bob

[This message has been edited by bob_renner (edited 09 May 2001).]