Microsoft Streets & Trips, "Waypoints"

Ok so I got streets and trips mostly to try it out on the Pocket PC. Turns out everything cool about Streets and Trips doesn't really work on the pocket PC, I can work around the lack of routing (though if it does it and I just can't tell let me know)

However the real kicker is that I can take my EasyGPS file, converit to to a CSV file via Geobuddy and import that into the Desktop version of Streets and Trips. That gives you a nice set of push pins that marks all the waypoints you are interested in. The kicker is that I can't seem to dowload those into the Pocket PC version of Streets and Trips. the PPC version does support pushpins.

Does anyone have any enlightenment on this? I'd hate to see software with potential (better for urban caches than Topo due to road changes etc.) fizzle out.

Wherever you go there you are.

This looks promising. Reading through the descriptions we can only hope for universal GPX support. Until then it looks like the progrom will let me cut out both Geobuddy and S&T Desktop since my real goal is a Pocket PC file.

I'll check it out when I get some free time (lots of family on the holidays) and post back how it worked.

Wherever you go there you are.

Here's a method to get pushpins into your PPC:

In your main computer version of Streets & Trips, place the pushpins where you want them.

Select the map area you want for Pocket Streets, and download it to your PPC. The download will include both the map file and the pushpin file.

I have not found a way to create and download pushpins without doing the whole map.

We use S&T for geocaching and think it works great for all of the urban caches we hunt here in Portland. It will convert the pushpins (geocache points) you make in Easygps as CSV files then import into S&Trips. Then, when you highlight the area on the screen and export the map to a pocket pc version, it will make two files - one for the map (.psp) and one for the pushpin locations (.mps). You will have to move both files to your Pocket PC in the same directory. And I believe this is only possible in S&T 2002.

quote:

Until then it looks like the progrom will let me cut out both Geobuddy and S&T Desktop since my real goal is a Pocket PC file.

I'll check it out when I get some free time (lots of family on the holidays) and post back how it worked.

That's exactly what it was created for (the pushpin extensions in gpsbabel). I'm glad to see that I wasn't the only person on earth who really despises spending hours making new maps just to drop a few waypoints on it (I carry.. umm.. 14 maps in my PPC as of today). If you don't undestand how pocketstreets does what it does, getting the pins in can be quite confusing.

If you (or anyone else) needs a tutorial, examples, etc.. on getting it going with gpsbabel, I'm willing to help as much as I can, either in this thread or via private e-mail.

alex