Am I going to be ok with my 310?

Guest huntoften

Guest huntoften

Just got my Magellan 310 last week and have been roving all over the place plotting markers and routes. Seems to be working great for me.

I found this site and it seems like most everyone else has 315's or Garmins.

I plan on using my GPS for plotting locations in wooded as well as open areas for hunting and fishing purposes. Will the 310 be accurate enough for someone else or myself to find a particular tree or an underwater brush pile that I give coordinates for? I am willing to sell this thing on Ebay and go with the 315 if you folks think I will be dissapointed with this unit. Thanks in advance for your help!

Guest AZMark

For finding, you just have to search a bit larger area. It can make it tough or more fun depending on how you look at it. But with only 2 decimal places, if you hide a cache and are a bit off, you can make it pretty hard on those trying to find. You might want to have someone go out with you when placeing just to get a bit better accuracy when hiding.

Guest TeamCNJC

quote:
Originally posted by AZMark:

For finding, you just have to search a bit larger area. It can make it tough or more fun depending on how you look at it. But with only 2 decimal places, if you hide a cache and are a bit off, you can make it pretty hard on those trying to find. You might want to have someone go out with you when placeing just to get a bit better accuracy when hiding.

OTOH, I've found a half-dozen caches that were hidden with a 2 decimal point unit. If the clues are good, you're usually close enough. To me, a 3 foot accuracy would spoil the hunt, unless I'm looking for my car keys or cell phone icon_smile.gif

I may be wrong on this next part. If I am, I'm sure I'll be corrected icon_wink.gif

1/10th degree of latitude translates to about 60 feet or error. Latitude remains constant. 1/10th degree of longitide can vary, as the degree lines get closer together as you get closer to a pole. Here in MN, 1/10th of a degree of longitide is about 43 feet of error. -Craig

[This message has been edited by TeamCNJC (edited 08 October 2001).]

Guest TeamCNJC

quote:
Originally posted by AZMark:

OTOH, I've found a half-dozen caches that were hidden with a 2 decimal point unit. If the clues are good, you're usually close enough. To me, a 3 foot accuracy would spoil the hunt, unless I'm looking for my car keys or cell phone icon_smile.gif

I may be wrong on this next part. If I am, I'm sure I'll be corrected icon_wink.gif

1/10th degree of latitude translates to about 60 feet or error. Latitude remains constant. 1/10th degree of longitide can vary, as the degree lines get closer together as you get closer to a pole. Here in MN, 1/10th of a degree of longitide is about 43 feet of error. -Craig

[This message has been edited by TeamCNJC (edited 08 October 2001).]

Guest Prime Suspect

quote:
Originally posted by huntoften:

Just got my Magellan 310 last week and have been roving all over the place plotting markers and routes. Seems to be working great for me.

I plan on using my GPS for plotting locations in wooded as well as open areas for hunting and fishing purposes.

It may not be accurate enough for fishing (depending on what type you do). If you really want to nail a specific position on the water, you're better off with something that has WAAS capabilities.

Guest Moun10Bike

quote:
Originally posted by TeamCNJC:

Only with the best of intentions! icon_smile.gif

quote:
1/10th degree of latitude translates to about 60 feet or error.

1/10 of a degree of latitude is actually about 6.9 miles (25,000 mile circumference of the earth divided by 360 degrees around). One minute of latitude is about 6100 feet (a little more than a mile), so 1/100 of a minute is closer to the 60 feet you mention.

------------------

Jon (Moun10Bike)

29H/105F

N 47° 36.649', W 122° 3.616'

www.switchbacks.com/geocaching.html

Guest Moun10Bike

quote:
Originally posted by TeamCNJC:

Only with the best of intentions! icon_smile.gif

quote:
1/10th degree of latitude translates to about 60 feet or error.

1/10 of a degree of latitude is actually about 6.9 miles (25,000 mile circumference of the earth divided by 360 degrees around). One minute of latitude is about 6100 feet (a little more than a mile), so 1/100 of a minute is closer to the 60 feet you mention.

------------------

Jon (Moun10Bike)

29H/105F

N 47° 36.649', W 122° 3.616'

www.switchbacks.com/geocaching.html

Guest TeamCNJC

quote:
Originally posted by Moun10Bike:

There's not enough coffee in the world, not on a Monday after a 6-cache weekend! I did mean to say minute, not degree, and did mean to say 1/100th, not 1/10th. 1/100th of a minute is the level of resolution of the two-decimal-digit Magellans have. Good enough to find a slightly hidden, but not buried, cache. -Craig