Software for Magellan GPS Companion

jmccrane

I have the GPS COmpanion for my Visor, and I'm looking for generally any good software that anyone can recommend to add to it on the PDA. More specifically, I'd like to find software that can combine the features of the two separate prgrams Magellan provides- I want to be able to have waypoints, routes, backtracks, etc. right on a map. Can anyone help? Thanks!

i have the same gps but for the palm m515.

No solutions like that that i have seen yet. I prefer to use numbers rather than maps to get around(guess who LOVES math). I plot routes in my head based on distances and directions as indicated by the palm's apps

I have a palm m515 and the Magellan GPS Companion. This is a bit of a woop deee doooo setup at first but add some apps and you are ready to go.

For the Palm:

Cache Mate $7, thi program is a gpx file reader for the palm. it talks to your gps for figuring out which caches are closest to your current location, bearing and distance... etc You can sort your caches out into catagories read others log entries, hints are decryptable, and you can record you log there so you dont forget what you took/left etc... VERY USEFULL APP for the palm

Nav Campanion Free w/GPS basic gps appp for the palm and GPS Companion. It works well enough but the most GLARING missing features are UTM, a digital compass with the sun(like they have on the GPS 315) and Projections.

I have remapped my hard buttons to jump between these two apps.

CetusGPS just started playing with this one and it has some plusses and minuses... for the way i cache the negatives outweigh the plusses. A GREAT Program though I WILL be keeping it loaded for some features and for non caching GPS activities(bet you didn't know they existed did you?)

For the Mac:

GPS Babel... A gps file format tool... A MUST HAVE converts gpx to palm capabl files for different types of recievers and gps apps

MacCMConvert... Yes i use a mac. there is CMConvert for everybody else. this app takes your pocket query GPX files and makes them work for cachemate on the palm and makes them a palm type file. a MUST HAVE if you use cachemate.

bmgpx to gather gpx files on benchmarks from the NGS website. not as cool as maybe a pocket querry but still cool.

icon_wink.gif Now where did I set my GPS??? icon_wink.gifplanetrobert.net

GPSBabel will do that, with some caveats. Make sure to read the README.magnav file that should be included in the download; it tells you how to make Nav Companion recognize the new waypoints and how to merge new waypoints with existing waypoints should you wish to do so.

I will say, though, that even though I was responsible for the Nav Companion support in GPSBabel, I strongly recommend that you use Cetus GPS instead.

Actually, it works a little better with Cetus than it does with Nav Companion, because we've worked closely with the author of Cetus, whereas we had to guess about the function of some of the stuff that's in a Nav Companion database. The basic steps to create the PDB file are the same, but to use the resulting file you'll have to go into Cetus, go to the database screen, and pick "Select Database" from the menu.

By the way, something I forgot in my reply to your questions in the other two (!) threads: GSAK also uses GPSBabel under the hood, so it should be able to do this stuff as well, and it probably has a nice pointy-clicky interface like the kids today seem to be attracted to. You'll have to ask a GSAK guru for help with that, though; I've never used it myself.