New GPS Unveiled

Magellan unveiled new SporTrak Pro GPS Receiver at the CeBit Trade Show last week.

Pocket-sized, built-in 9 MB expandable to 23 MB. WAAS-enabled, larger, high-contrast, backlit display, front-facing, nine-key keypad. Just say this in a news release from Thales. Stand by.

quote:
Originally posted by phantom4099:

Well it does not sound like it will be replacing the meridian series. Or is it?

Wyatt W.

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.

The Meridian series is way too new to be replaced. It struck me more as an attempt at a Magellan version of the eTrex. The key phrase was "advanced mapping and navigation in a compact size." You can't really blame them for attempting to follow the eTrex line, which has been so successful for Garmin.

rdw

quote:
Originally posted by Kerry:

So what does it do that's different icon_confused.gif

What does a Ford truck to that's different from a Chevy truck. It does not necessarily have to be different.

I hope that they allow the memory to be increased well beyond 32K. If so, then they may have an eTrex killer after all.

I want to see a picture. Anybody seen one yet??

quote:
Originally posted by Kerry:

So what does it do that's different icon_confused.gif

What does a Ford truck to that's different from a Chevy truck. It does not necessarily have to be different.

I hope that they allow the memory to be increased well beyond 32K. If so, then they may have an eTrex killer after all.

I want to see a picture. Anybody seen one yet??

Would magellan have done somethin like garmin did, and use memory cards that only work for magellan GPS's? If so, then 23mb is as high as it goes, or the 23+9=32 is all that the top line can contain.

Wyatt W.

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.