Question about batteries and waypoints

Guest BigDoggie

Guest BigDoggie

Seeing some comments about short battery life leads me to ask this question:

When the batteries go dead and/or you pull them out to change them, does the GPS unit lose the waypoints that you stored in it?

I would hope not!

Guest c_oflynn

I think all GPS have a backup battery in them. However, try to keep batteries in it when possible. So when recharging batteries, throw another pair in while one set is recharging. A few mag 315's had a problem, however i think a software update fixed it.

Colin

I am not to sure about Magellan units but I know that older garmin unit have a small rechargable lithium type battery inside that keep the memory refreshed while changing betteries. It is a good idea to leave batteries in these older models to help keep that rechargable battery charged. If stored with out batteries this battery after many moons will go dead and take a day or two to recharge after putting new batteries in the unit. These older units include III+, III, II+, II, all the 12 series the older streetpilots and so on. All of Garmin's newer unit (since the yellow eTrex came out) use non-volatile flash memory that does not require a battery to maintain data storage. This includes the eMap and the entire eTrex series and the GPSMAP 76/GPS 76.

Later

mcb