What is the new Garmin V going to have?

Guest Big-Bird

Guest Big-Bird

Is it a III+ with more memory and bells & whistles? Are the specs. listed anywhere?

I want a III+ or the V if its better but who knows? The Map76 was suposed to be better but without the ext. antenna its not impressive in cover. Is the V going to have the same ability to receive in cover as the III+ or is it the new & improved 76's workings in the III's case?

Guest Iron Chef

I've been in contact with a guy at Garmin, they will have specs on the website next week supposedly. It is just a case of big company organization where one hand knows not what the other hand does, otherwise we'd have the info by now :~) I'm not bagging on Garmin, thats just what the webmaster guy told me.

------------------

-Iron Chef

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

agefive.com/geocache/ ~ Fe-26

Lets Drive Fast and Eat Cheese!

From what I have read and come conjecture of my own I assume that it is going to be a III+ receiver and antenna. Garmin used nearly the identical receiver circuit in all of there handled reciever. It will have a quadralilar antenna instead of the cheaper patch antenna. It will also support the new WAAS technology. I would expect reception and accuracy as good as the III+ if WAAS is turned off on the V. I believe it will support most of the MapSource products like R&R, TOPO, City Guide, Metro Guide and probably others. It does have a lot more memory that the III+. The old III+ has 1.44 MB and the V is suppost to have 19 MB. The V will have alot more bells and whistles. It will have onboard route planning and I would expect some other niffty features.

In defence of the GPSMAP 76. I have had very few problems with reception. It is not as good as my old III+ but I haven't had to many problems. Remember to hold the unit up vertically to make the antenna happy.

All the above about the V it just my assumption please read with that in mind.

mcb