GPS V doesn't have a digi compass or barometric altimeter?

After using a few other GPS units, reading reviews until my eyes watered, and then reading some more icon_wink.gif I've decided that I need to return the Magellan SporTrack Pro and grab one of these V's. They simply seem perfect what what I need.

However, it would seem the V doesn't have two features generally found in a unit of this price: a digital compass and barometric altimeter. What's even more surprising is that no one here seems to mind! Perhaps I'm overlooking something? Or does the V work in a way that provides these features without explicitly stating they are included? I'm still really new at this, so I've gotta believe I'm missing the boat here. Can anyone show me the light? icon_rolleyes.gif

CacheCreatures are spreading... They can hide, but they can't run!

They both need power, that's one thing. The V derives the direction from it's movement, which is sufficient most of the time (only when stationary it doesn;t know where N is). The altimeter I find useless... but I live in perhaps the flattest country on the planet (the Netherlands, all heights are in negative numbers... one hill exempt).

--

Robert Elsinga =8-)

geocaching (at) elsinga.org

The GPS V is designed for driving in a car. The autorouting features unique to the GPS V (and higher-priced Street Pilots) is useless for hiking and foot travel.

The eTrex Vista and Summit are designed for hiking where an electronic compass and the barometric altimeter are useful.

The GPSmap 76S also includes the electronic compass and barometer/altimeter is designed for marine applications. It includes tidal predicitons and the barometer is much more stand alone than the barometer in the Vista/Summit.

However, all these units share mapping (except for the Summit), routes, tracking, waypoint management and include navigational programs for routes, tracks and waypoints.

The non-electronic compass on the GPS V works just like a compass but you have to be moving to get a reading. It is a little more difficult to zero-in on a particular point but not impossible. I imagine that most geocachers get along fine without the electronic compass.

Ducks - Flying, great tasting, geocaches of meat

If you don't have an electronic compass you don't miss them at all.

If you do have one you do end up liking them.

The V when standing still can't tell which way you are moving so it can't tell you which way to go. The pointer bounces around as the position error bounces you around relative to where you were just a second ago. Walking even a snails pace gets the V back on track.

quote:
Originally posted by CacheCreatures:

...it would seem the V doesn't have two features generally found in a unit of this price: a digital compass and barometric altimeter. What's even more surprising is that no one here seems to mind! Perhaps I'm overlooking something? Or does the V work in a way that provides these features without explicitly stating they are included?

The vast majority of cache hunts don't involve using a compass or altimeter although these are definitely tools you want for serious backcountry navigation. I've got a digital compass and barometric altimeter on my watch, plus I carry a standard compass, so the lack of these on the Garmin does not bother me. Other posts have covered the V's compass. The elevation readout uses satellite signals and so can be rough but then so can a barometric altimeter if you don't calibrate it before each trip.

One thing that you will have to get use to with the compass is that it will generally point in the wrong direction when you are not moving. You can tell a Garmin V user because they will plug in the coordinates, start walking in the wrong direction, and after a few steps will turn around!