What is the best all around no frills GPS to buy

If you're just beginning, take a look at the Magellan Meridian Green or Yellow. These go for less than $150, but have the capability of expandable memory and detail maps if and when you want to spend a little more money. You also might be able to pick up a used one in the Garage Sale forum or on eBay.

Max

Often wrong but seldom in doubt

If you hurry, you can still get an eTrex Legend for $200 minus the $50 rebate available from Garmin through July 6th.

Here's a supplier selling Legends for $199:

http://www.chartedwaters.com/gpshandheld.html

If you get the basic yellow (around $100), you'll still want the data cable to download geocache coordinates, so you be up to around $120. You might as well spend the extra $30 for a much better unit.

quote:
Originally posted by EraSeek:

A Garmin V is not least expensive. An Etrex

yellow will do you fine.

I know. Just trying to skip the steps of upgrading and possibly doing it right the first time. Cause after a while they will want something better and better thus spending the $$ on the V the first time will save $$ in the long run.

icon911.gif

beerchug.gif

quote:
Originally posted by benjamin921:

I know. Just trying to skip the steps of upgrading and possibly doing it right the first time. Cause after a while they will want something better and better thus spending the $$ on the V the first time will save $$ in the long run.

Yes, quite true. If you skip the steps and go for the gold get the ''V'', (or my preference, the Map76).

If you do the progression, get:

Etrex yellow,

Legend,

Vista,

Garmin V (or maybe the Map76s)

4497_300.jpg

"See the wonderous works of Providence! The uncertainty of human things!" Geo.Washington

EraSeek has the right order of progression but I'd skip the yellow entirely.

Instead I'd go venture in it's place and if I'd get the venture right now I'd get the Legend with the rebate.

So my revised list is.

Legend

Vista/Map76S

V

The Map 76S isn't enough better than the Vista to justify the Price. For the price the V is better.

Well so much for agreeing exactly with EraSeek. Still we are on the same page.

I have done the bulk of my geocaching and benchmarking with two Garmin eTrex (Yellow) GPSr's. Before that I had a Magellan GPS2000, but I'd rather not think about those adventures (single channel receiver!). I use one for caching and keep it full of unlocated caches and benchmarks and the other I use when mapping hiking trails and other points of interest to me.

TxHiPowr

Folks seem to do fine with ol' yeller. What I don't understand is why there's so much talk of Legend and Vista, when you can get almost all the features (most importantly WAAS and the superior user interface, compared with ol' yeller) for a lot less with a Venture.

Poor reception under leaf cover, sticking joy sticks, and screen scrambles are ubiquitious problems across the Garmin line, as near as I can tell (except ol' yeller doesn't have a joy stick to stick). So that's not a deciding issue, among Garmin products. Of course, this does raise the question of whether Magellan is better. I've only seen them at cacher gatherings; don't know enough to say, myself.

You can get an eTrex Legend at Amazon.com for $99 effectively. Garmin has a $50 rebate running, and Amazon.com will give you a $50 coupon for future use with any electronics purchase of $250 or more. Pick up a copy of Mapsource with the Legend and you qualify.

I have a Garmin EMap and I love the thing. You can pick one up (base unit) for about $179. It comes with a base map of all the US major highways and it's easy to use. Check out http://www.gpsdiscount.com they have some good deals, and helped me out a lot. I went for the EMap Super Deluxe package, it came with the mapsource program ($80 on its own), it has all the local detailed maps for the US. The package also came with the computer cable and an 8mb memory card. The package only cost me $219.