eTrex Summit vs Vista ... which to buy

Guest fr

I am interested in getting a Summit or Vista for the electronic compass but am a little concerned about the clickstick on the Vista. Seems it could be a bit less rugged than the buttons on the Summit. I would use it only for caching so all the mapping features are't necessary (at least for now). Am I missing something. Is there something in the Vista I would really want ... more accurate, easier to use, future updates, newer model, etc?

Guest echo2000

Howdy fr,

I was in the same boat. It seems most people have a unit they like and stick to it. After much deliberation, I settled on the Vista because of the higher amount of RAM for maps.

I plan to use it mainly for geocaching but I also mountain bike and am planning on eventually hitting the trails so the mapping feature was more attractive to me.

As far as the clickstik goes... well, I'm still waiting on mine to arrive so I'll let you know if it pops right off the bat. icon_smile.gif

Though this is merely a self-validation for my own boisterous purchase, I hope it helps.

E2

Guest echo2000

Howdy fr,

I was in the same boat. It seems most people have a unit they like and stick to it. After much deliberation, I settled on the Vista because of the higher amount of RAM for maps.

I plan to use it mainly for geocaching but I also mountain bike and am planning on eventually hitting the trails so the mapping feature was more attractive to me.

As far as the clickstik goes... well, I'm still waiting on mine to arrive so I'll let you know if it pops right off the bat. icon_smile.gif

Though this is merely a self-validation for my own boisterous purchase, I hope it helps.

E2

Guest Prime Suspect

I think it comes down to how important the ability to load maps into the unit is to you. If it's worth the price difference (plus the significant cost of the Garmin map software), then go for it.

If you made up your mind that you really want an electronic compass then you can ignore this.

I personally don't like my compass and GPS in the same unit. If the unit dies or is lost then you have lost both unit. If they are seperate then if you break or lose one you still have the other to help navigate your way out. I also don't think that the electronic compass is any better than a good magnetic compass. I think that you would be better of putting your money into something else.

Just my opinion

mcb

Guest johnny42544

I bought a Vista several months ago for the super price of $275 and this included shipping. For this price, I am very pleased. The 24 meg of memory for me seems like overkill, but could not refuse it for the $$$. Mine was a fluke on the internet - seems like they posted the incorrect price, and ended up letting me "have" the unit for their cost, and threw in shipping also.

Guest echo2000

Johnny, I'm jealous!

Beat me by $15! How do you like the Vista? I'm waiting on mine and have been worried about some problems folks were having with losing sat tracking and the click stik probs.

Any input? Thanks,

E2

Guest HomeChicken

if i'm right the vista has everything the summit has but more, like the map uploading.

so the Vista is the better model. I like the idea of better resolution,compass,Altimeter,WAAS. Theres a BIG diffference

goto this link

http://www2.garmin.com/outdoor/compare.jsp

and compare the two by checking both Summit and Vista then click submit

------------------

Bought a eTrex Legend on 7/24/01

I was part of or placed these Caches

Sun rising over Mt.Rubidoux 3/3

Urban Jungle 3/3

Rising sun over Chicken Coop 5/5

Disneyland Geocaching 1/1

Can You C What I C? 2/3.5

Need to rate your own Cache?

Geocache Rating System

[This message has been edited by HomeChicken (edited 10 September 2001).]

I purchased a Vista a few months ago and have been happy with it. It is the only GPS that I have owned, so I can't compare it to anything else.

I bought the Vista because I was interested in the ability to download maps. I recently purchased the Garmin MapSource U.S. Roads and Recreation software. With it, I can download street level maps and point of interest information. I was disappointed that the software does not automatically plan routes based on starting point and destination. Oh well, guest I'll have to stick to other software for that feature.

In comparing the units, I beleive that the Vista has better screen resoultion than the Summit and more features. The Legend is similar to the Vista but it has less map memory and does not have the electronic compass or the barometric altimeter. I'm not a mountain climber, nor a bush-whacker, so I have rarely used the altimiter and I have adjusted the settings to have the Vista calculate North on the compass when I am moving at more than 1 mile per hour.

I purchased the Vista at Eastern Mountain Sports on a club day. They have a club day about once every six months. On these days, you can receive a 20% discount if you can show membership in an outdoor oriented club. (I volunteer with my son's Boy Scout Troop and am a registered adult). I paid about $279 (+ 5% MA Tax) instead of the regular price of $349. I bought the MapSource software from Amazon.com (best price I could find).

Regards,

GPSteve