Personalized Startup Message for GARMIN units...

shabbasuraj

quote:
Originally posted by submanager:

However, I am waiting for the Etrex Legend version to be "updated" for the 2.41 version I currently have loaded in my replacement Legend.

I put a personalized version of 2.41 on my Legend using MeMap. It replaces the warning message with text of your choosing. It works right now, no waiting necessary.

I'm not lost!

I just don't know where I am.

GpsWarn looks to be a very nice utility. It didn't support version 2.29c beta version I was using on my Vista so I used XVI32 byte editor to replace the characters in the warning message of the .RGN file.

It was fairly easy to do. I searched for WARNING and then noted the address range of the message to make sure I did not insert or remove any additional characters. I then replaced the characters with my info using the linefeed characters (0Ah) between lines, saved the file, and reloaded the .RGN file using the UPDATER.EXE.

I wouldn't suggest doing this unless you know what you are doing! icon_wink.gif

GpsWarn looks to be a very nice utility. It didn't support version 2.29c beta version I was using on my Vista so I used XVI32 byte editor to replace the characters in the warning message of the .RGN file.

It was fairly easy to do. I searched for WARNING and then noted the address range of the message to make sure I did not insert or remove any additional characters. I then replaced the characters with my info using the linefeed characters (0Ah) between lines, saved the file, and reloaded the .RGN file using the UPDATER.EXE.

I wouldn't suggest doing this unless you know what you are doing! icon_wink.gif

The Memap utility has worked for me, regardless of which version of the firmware I've been attacking.

Removing the other 13 languages would certainly free some memory, but for what good? What should you put there?

You'll have to rewrite the whole storage handling, to allow more waypoints or something, or the free memory would be of no use. In the first releases of the Vista firmware, the file was some 200 MB smaller, but that didn't increase the storage specifications for the unit.

Anders

quote:
Originally posted by Anders:

Notice that the warning message is different for every lanugage, so if you want your name to show up, even if some other user/finder/thief changes the language setting, you have to change all 14 languages.

Anders

Interesting tidbit.

Since I only speak English I hope that if I should ever lose my Vista the person that finds it can read English and is honest enough to return the unit.

Take a look at the startup screen of a non-updated unit (or just re-flash with the original firmware) and narrow down the "Do not" search. I think that it is something like "Do not attempt..", but I'm not sure because mine has already been updated. I do know that there is more than one message that begins with "Do not" and that it took some trial and error to find the right one. The message that constitutes the startup screen should have more than enough room for the necessary contact information.

Hope this helps.

quote:

The Memap utility has worked for me, regardless of which version of the firmware I've been attacking.

In the first releases of the Vista firmware, the file was some 200 MB smaller...

Anders

You mean 200 KB smaller, I assume icon_wink.gif

As 200 megabytes, or even 200 megabits, is much much larger than any firmware I've encountered.

MeMap is worked fine for me, as well, on several versions of Legend firmware.

df

quote:

In the first releases of the Vista firmware, the file was some 200 MB smaller...

Anders

You mean 200 KB smaller, I assume icon_wink.gif

As 200 megabytes, or even 200 megabits, is much much larger than any firmware I've encountered.

MeMap is worked fine for me, as well, on several versions of Legend firmware.

df