GEKO 101-Perfect for 80% of geocachers

dicox

After starting geocaching this summer I am totatly conviced that the average geocacher does not need anything more than A GEKO 101.Given the proper co-ordinates I have been able to find every cache I have searched for. Quite frankly I would find a WASS receiver as overkill. Its easy enough finding caches with a GEKO 101. Using a WASS receiver would be like using the ladies tee at the golf course. I like using my own obsevation skills in conjunction with using the receiver. Honestly, what sport is there, if the receiver does all the work for you?

Yes, a Geocacher doesn't NEAD anything more than a Geko 101. I have a etrex (yellow) and a Geko 201, and though the geko 201 has WAAS, I find it less sensitive, and more fiddly to hold than the etrex. Also the etrex display is much more easier to read (which can be helpfull in using traceback to find the car if we've just done a 5 stage multicache.)...

I find also, that using the Geko 201, with WAAS, I still find the co-ords often take me to a spot that is futher away from the actual cache than what the accuracy is quoting, maybe because the cache owner took the co-ords using a non wass GPS.

I started geocaching using nothing else than a (UK) ordanance survey map, and compass, which got me within, say 100 meters of the cache, so I suppose you could get away with even less.

quote:
Originally posted by Weston Wanderers:

I find also, that using the Geko 201, with WAAS, I still find the co-ords often take me to a spot that is futher away from the actual cache than what the accuracy is quoting,

You might want to update your firmware. The 201 was applying WAAS in areas where it didn't have a good correction factor. Now it doesn't use the WAAS if it's doesn't have any data for your area.

Weston Wanderers, thats really interesting that you tried it with a survey map and compass. No doubt in my mind there is alot more reward finding a cache that way as you use alot more of your own personal skills. Gekogeek, if you really feel that you you need WASS to locate a geocache, than I suggest you also might need a white cane or at least a very thick pair of glasses!

quote:
Originally posted by dicox:

Gekogeek, if you really feel that you you need WASS to locate a geocache, than I suggest you also might need a white cane or at least a very thick pair of glasses!

Sheesh! Just try to help some people! icon_rolleyes.gif

I still like the 201 for it's ability to talk to a computer. Unless you really like keying in a bunch of caches by hand....

After geocaching for the past little while I'm convinced that no matter what GPS you get you need a data cable.

That rules out the Gecko 101. It doesn't support a data cable. Type in one coordinate wrong though and the cable that would of saved you the 2 hour side track sounds pretty tempting. It's not if you will input a coordinate wrong. It's when. As far as WAAS. It won't help you find a cache at all. There is no control over the cache placer who could only be accurate to two decimals or not use WAAS.

That white cane though would be handy for a poking stick. And don't worry about finding all your caches, your turn being skunked will come.

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

After geocaching for the past little while I'm convinced that no matter what GPS you get you _need_ a data cable.

That rules out the Gecko 101. It doesn't support a data cable. Type in one coordinate wrong though and the cable that would of saved you the 2 hour side track sounds pretty tempting. It's not if you will input a coordinate wrong. It's when. As far as WAAS. It won't help you find a cache at all. There is no control over the cache placer who could only be accurate to two decimals or not use WAAS.

That white cane though would be handy for a poking stick. And don't worry about finding all your caches, your turn being skunked will come.

I totally agree...you should have a cable. I didn't say you HAD to have one, but it sure makes life easy when you are downloading 12 caches. Click, click, BOOM! Done! I made the mistake of switching 2 digits when entering a coord, and had a hella time trying to find something that was not there...

Well, there is a difference between what you "need" and what makes for being "perfect for use."

I'm of an opinion that you don't "need" a GPS to geocache. There are others that will concur.

On the other hand, being "perfect for geocachers," I'm not sure that even exists. For me, the SPMap does a mightly fine job. Upgrading to the STColor will be better. But "perfect?" I don't think so. Not until a bullet-proof unit comes along also that will never loss lock, can carry my PQs, has detailed road and trail maps that are accurate, doubles as my cell phone and FRS radio, and let me voice record cache notes will it even come close to being perfect for me.

But that's okay, I can still dream.

CR

72057_2000.gif

GekoGeek, Just so you know my comments to you were not meant to be personal, im just a very honest straight shooter. Renegade a data cable a necessity??!! You got to be kidding. Its dirt easy to punch in co-ordinates manually. As for errors you wont make any if you take a couple of seconds to recheck what you punched in. I can enter a whole day of geocache co-ordinates in less than 5 minutes. Sissy, I understand what your saying, but I don't agree. Personally, I dont want a device that takes me unfailingly to every exact spot. Where is the sport in this? I like to have a chance to use some of my own search skills in finding caches. To me perfect just implies giving a reliable starting point for the search. Team 360, your absolutely right, my time will come (but not yet :'> ) Thanks to all, your a very good bunch!!

The I agree with RK, the Geko101 may be fine for caching, but the PC connection opens up a lot more options.

Heres a few:

1. You can connect it to a laptop for on screen navigation.

2. After a long day of caching, you can download your tracklog and observe everywhere you were.

3. You can upload/download as many waypoints as you wish with the click of a button.

4. Makes backing up your data easy as pie.

5. Allows you to install new upgrades to firmware as they are released (I take it the Geko101 can never have its firmware upgraded?)

6. Upload/Download routes with the click of a button

7. Upload maps and POI's (if your unit supports them)

This list goes on.....

So as you can see, if you spend the extra $30 it goes a long way....Get a 201 at the very least or any GPS that supports PC connectivity.

Kar

As for what you "Need" for geocaching, you actually don't even need a GPS with the quality of the maps available today.

That said, I've got to say over half the caches I've found I would never had looked for if I didn't have the ability to download waypoints via data cable. I use queries, and download the caches for my local area, and areas I may be heading into. More than half the time I've gone after a cache, it's been because it popped up on the GPS screen when I was driving or hiking in the area. I then just detour off to find it, then carry on with whatever I was doing. If you decide to cache in this manner, a mapping receiver is also a plus, although you can get by with paper maps or even no maps at all if the cache isn't in an area where you have to worry about getting lost. If you're in an area where the cache might be a virtual, you might want pocket queries in some sort of PDA as well, being as how it can be quite a pain to look around for an object that doesn't exist. (I'm not basing that on personal experience, just stories I've read of course icon_rolleyes.gif )

Then again, you don't need any of that sort of stuff, as you can also pre-plan, study aerial photos and maps, then go right to the spot, but that takes half the fun out of trying to find the cache for me.

I'll chime in and agree that downloadability is a good thing. I always have a couple hundred benchmarks and lots of cache waypoints in my GPS just in case I happen to be driving by and -POP- there it is. I wouldn't want to have keyed those in. And re-keyed when I head to a new area.

That said, it's not necessary. Also, I think the assertion in the original post that WAAS is overkill is kind of silly. The times when I have had a good WAAS lock, AND it actually helped are few and far between. It's nice once in a while, but certainly not a magic feather.

Now what is necessary is a color screen PDA, so you can have all the cache pages and benchmark datasheets available as you hunt. And the voice activated recorder for logging. And the mil-spec hydration pack. And...well there are a few more things, but I won't go into them now.

Hi all. Your points are all well taken. It seems to come down to a matter of personal taste. Quite frankly, I don't miss the computer features you all mention for a second. I just want a unit that gets me from point A to point B as quickly and simply as possible. That being said, alot of you clearly like the extra computer features and if do, your money is well spent. The main point of my thread is to let beginners know you can do top quality geocaching with a standard base model gps.

When I've been looking for caches, I've found that my Vista, thanks to its maps, means I pretty often need nothing more to get me both near and then to the cache.

Caching is usually a fair deal more driving than walking. Being able to see the road network on the display really helps, although it's of course by no means necessary.

Anders

Being the geek that I am, I wouldn't have as much fun with the geko 101. Not enough bells and whistles. I love the maps on my Sportrak Color, especially the topo maps. You owe it to yourself to see how nice a job the Sportrak Color does with topo maps. I've not seen a handheld GPS that does topo maps better. Can you tell I like topo maps? icon_wink.gif

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

Unless you want the small size, I think an eTrex would be a better choice. It's about $20 more, has larger display and runs something like 20 hours on AA rather then 12 on AAA. It also has computer connection ability. No WAAS.

Yes, you don't need a full-on unit for geocaching, but I think the eTrex or Gecko 201 is the "sweet spot" for low-end units. The price for the 101 isn't quite low enough for what you loose.

I feel that a basemap is very important, either the Full Highways or pacific or atlantic - I don't even need to have a map with me anymore when travelling. Having the Metroguide/City Streets loaded into your unit for the area your'e visiting makes it so much more useful. Caching without a base map in my home town is easy, finding your way through one-ways in an unfamiliar town tends to frustrate.

In my Rino, I can keep up to 500 waypoints. I usually have that maxed with 'all geocaches within 75 miles of my home'. I do leave a few open in case of a multi or perfect spot to place. It's easier to have the data cable if you want to back up your important waypoints or plan a trip and cache while you're there.

Cadence

(OddTodd and CheleBell)

FRS2,12GMRS22(WPXD965)

Hi again. Gekogeek, I appreciate what your saying. As I said above, it all comes down to personal preference. Im just a "meat and potatoes" type of guy, that wants simple reliable gps. Small size is the only other factor that matters to me. Its nice you can easily turn off a geko and shove it in your pocket if your a km or 2 from your destination. For me battery life is not a big factor. I use alkeline rechargables and replace them before I go out on a day of geocaching. To date, I have not had any low battery problems. As Marky says above, he likes that added bells and whistles that a 201 provides. All the power to him and you. If you truly enjoy them, its money well spent. For me, why spend extra for features I really dont want. In any case Im right, your right. Lets all enjoy geocaching!

Hi Kar: Your absolutely right about me being fairly new to geocaching. I am however a quick learner and a very critical thinker. The one thing that has stood out in my days of geocaching is that a standard 12 channel gps is truly a remarkable device. Ive been simply amazed how close I am getting to caches. I then had to ask my self a question: Do I really want something more accurate than this? To me the best part of geocaching is the search and the ability to use my own personal skills. I hope your right that things get more difficult as I move out. It would however take a drastic upturn in difficulty, before I would consider a more powerful GPS-Thx Dave

I think you would not want to go back to a cable less unit once you tried one one with a cable.

I know thats how I was when I bought my first GPSr (magellan 315- Jun 2000). But after I recieved a cable as a x-mas present I wondered how I ever survived with out one (this was even before I became intrested in geocaching). It just opens up so many doors.

Wyatt W.

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.

quote:

Hi again. Gekogeek, I appreciate what your saying. As I said above, it all comes down to personal preference.

Exactly. Being a geek, I want a unit that connects to a computer or to be able to do APRS. There are times I'd like a compass in the unit so I can better follow directions, so I may want to step up a bit. Yes, the GPS can give you compass directions - but only if you move. In some areas you quickly run out of space for movement.

quote:

After starting geocaching this summer I am totatly conviced that the average geocacher does not need anything more than A GEKO 101.Given the proper co-ordinates I have been able to find every cache I have searched for. Quite frankly I would find a WASS receiver as overkill. Its easy enough finding caches with a GEKO 101. Using a WASS receiver would be like using the ladies tee at the golf course. I like using my own obsevation skills in conjunction with using the receiver. Honestly, what sport is there, if the receiver does all the work for you?

What is an average geocacher? What was the sampling (survey) size? icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

I have only one thing to add to this thread.

quote:

Hi Kar: Your absolutely right about me being fairly new to geocaching. I am however a quick learner and a very critical thinker. The one thing that has stood out in my days of geocaching is that a standard 12 channel gps is truly a remarkable device. Ive been simply amazed how close I am getting to caches. I then had to ask my self a question: Do I really want something more accurate than this? To me the best part of geocaching is the search and the ability to use my own personal skills. I hope your right that things get more difficult as I move out. It would however take a drastic upturn in difficulty, before I would consider a more powerful GPS-Thx Dave

Nobody can be so amusingly arrogant as a young man who has just discovered an old idea and thinks it is his own.

Sydney J. Harris

quote:

Worst case of WAAS envy I've ever seen. icon_razz.gif

3608_2800.gif

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."

quote:

...I just want a unit that gets me from point A to point B as quickly and simply as possible...The main point of my thread is to let beginners know you can do top quality geocaching with a standard base model gps.

As a critical thinker you should recognize that the one thing that 90% or more of everyone agrees on is probably a good idea. That's the cable. You are right in that any GPS found anywere will work for geocaching. However work and work well are two different things. The fastest way between point A and point B with a GPS is to make sure your coords are ok. Which as it happens is easiest to input without error while you are reading them at your computer via that cable.

You have a lot to learn. When you do you will realize that not only was I not kidding but that the advice was good and I was shooting straight.