what gps units do you own?

I am a huge Garmin fan, own a GPSV which I have a mount setup in my truck, including aux antanae and power supply for indefinite use, the extra antanae makes a huge difference in sattelite aquisition, and for this new hobby of mine, I use my Etrex Vista, I like the internal compass and the added map memory, usualy keep topo maps in the vista and city select in the GV. As all others, wish the GV had more memory.

Currently Garmin GPS-V, Etrex Legend and Etrex Venture. Just sold a Vista. Previously also had a GPS III+ and want another one some day soon. Also had a Lowrance I-Finder. Pretty good unit, not waterproof so not too suitable for caching or any other outdoor activities.

quote:
Originally posted by wickedsprint:

nice nice...why did ya'll sell your Vistas, I love mine...

Up here in my neck of the woods, anything with a patch antenna doesn't fare real well under heavy tree cover. Vista is a great little unit, but wasn't fitting my needs.

"Gimpy"

--N2GLS--

quote:
Originally posted by Gimpy:

quote:
Originally posted by wickedsprint:

nice nice...why did ya'll sell your Vistas, I love mine...

Up here in my neck of the woods, anything with a patch antenna doesn't fare real well under heavy tree cover. Vista is a great little unit, but wasn't fitting my needs.

"Gimpy"

--N2GLS--

Ahhh ok, luckily have not ran into any recieveing issues under tree cover yet, granted florida woods do not get as thick as ya'lls I imagine.

Was initially using my Lowrance AirMap300 for GCing, but even though it is an excellent GPS for flying, it is too bulky and valuable to be carting through the woods. I like the Lowrance products, so I got an iFinder. It's nice not having to worry about the screen or case getting beat up - just buy a new face plate for under $20.

[This message was edited by alfredpr on June 15, 2003 at 12:53 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by True Grid:

Here in the Pacific Northwet I use an Garmin Etrex Vista. Tree cover don't bother me none. By the time it loses lock - I'm ready to sit down on a stump an take a break anyway.

True Grid

"True Grid"

In the Pacific Northwet

Yah... that's what I like about my MeriPlat (w/128MB RAM). I've lost lost lock only once. Looking up was the heaviest cover of broadleaf I have had the pleasure to encounter.

Also in the PNW...

Cheers!

TL

Did you see the new airmap 500 based on the ifinder.

Must be brand new cause there's none on ebay yet. I loved my airmap 100 (I have a GPS V now) but miss all my lowrance specific features.

(not that my garmin unit isn't great).

Todd Snyder

quote:
Originally posted by alfredpr:

Was initially using my Lowrance AirMap300 for GCing, but even though it is an excellent GPS for flying, it is too bulky and valuable to be carting through the woods. I like the Lowrance products, so I got an iFinder. It's nice not having to worry about the screen or case getting beat up - just buy a new face plate for under $20.

[This message was edited by alfredpr on June 15, 2003 at 12:53 PM.]

I'm using my Garmin GPSmap 195. I bought the unit several years ago for use while flying. I just recently got in caching, and rather than buy a new unit, I use the trusty 195. So far it seems to work well under tree cover most of the time I see EPEs of 20 feet or less.

Good enough... Never is!!

If you want ease of use and great computer compatability then go with Garmin.

In my view there is nothing better.

I have owned a Magellan and it works well but the interface sucks!!!

I also use National Geograph Topo map program and it works so well with the Garmin that there is truely no need to look any futher.

TeamFord

I'm new to 'caching, so I only have 1 so far, the Etrex Legend. I plan to get a Meridian Platinum for the quad-helix antenna (have lost signal for a short bit under trees a couple times w/ my Garmin), and for its expandability via CF cards. The main drawback I see in the Magellans is the low screen resolution; people say the interface sucks, but at least it's ambidextrous; I can have my Legend in the left hand and the MeriPlat in the right. icon_smile.gif

Nyarlotep

"God was my copilot, but we crashed in the mountains and I ate him"

I have a Vista which I use in the Jeep, on the motorcycle, and on foot. Also using a DeLorme TripMate with the ThinkPad for long trips, and an ICOM GP-22. The GP-22 will probably be up for sale soon as I rarely use it.

The Vista has some advantages over the TripMate (especially on two wheels), but the mapping on the Delorme stuff is still the best for travel.

I Roger your vector, Victor...... Over.

Garmin 12XL used with Garmin magnetic antenna on mounted to the roof of my truck, plugged into laptop and Delorme Topo Quads to plot my route and location on the PC screen. Use this to find NGS Bench Marks. I had a custom file on all control in my state that I could load into Topo Quads and drive right to the marks.

Garmin GPSIII mounted on the Honda 4X4 ATV

Garmin E-trex Vista for when I am on foot.

The wife and I own, two Garmin Legends, One GPS V, One GPS Map 176, One GPSMAP 76S, and One Garmin Street Pilot III. We use the different units for different applications such as routing with a car, boating, Geocaching and one for mapping our property and timber etc.

On the other hand, you have different fingers.

15777_2200.gif

Baloo: GPS V Used in truck and on Motorcycle as well as Caching and camping.

BD: GPS III+ Used in car and on Motorcycle as well as GC and camping.

Snap: eTrex (Yellow) Used on bike as well as GC and camping.

Crackle: eTrex (Yellow) Used on bike as well as GC and camping.

Pop: eTrex (Yellow) Used on bike as well as GC and camping.

Just bought the Scoutmaster as a going away present a GPS III+. Got him hooked on GC

I hate Garmins! icon_biggrin.gif