Getting started with an etrex?

Guest ycfssoya

Guest ycfssoya

As a neophyte to Geocaching, I have a questions regarding how to load a cache's location into my etrex... Do I just enter the Waypoint given for the cache in question, and then use the "Go To" function? If not that easy, how does one enter the location into the etrex unit? (The user manual was not very clear). Thanks.

Guest Markwell

Actually, with the little yellow eTrex (I presume that's what ycfssoya is using) - I use the "Mark" feature, and then alter the coordinates to match the cache, change the name so it's not 001, and then use the goto feature. If you need more details on how I do it (which may not be the best way), you can e-mail me for more details.

MarkLent60544@aol.com

Guest ycfssoya

quote:
Originally posted by Peter Scholtz:

Press and hold the Enter button. It will then create a new waypoint and you can then change the coordinates.

Dear Peter, thanks for the tip and the quick response.

Guest ycfssoya

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

Actually, with the little yellow eTrex (I presume that's what ycfssoya is using) - I use the "Mark" feature, and then alter the coordinates to match the cache, change the name so it's not 001, and then use the goto feature. If you need more details on how I do it (which may not be the best way), you can e-mail me for more details.

Dear Mark, I will give it a try--sounds easy. thanks for the tip!

MarkLent60544@aol.com

Guest Chris Juricich

After I figured out how to enter the coords of the site I sought and name it, I've already entered three local cache sites for future reference.

One fun thing to do I hadn't realized is to turn on the GOTO feature even if you're miles from the spot-- you get to see the miles dwindle down and get closer-- even though it kills the batteries faster.

Guest PneumaticDeath

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Juricich:

One fun thing to do I hadn't realized is to turn on the GOTO feature even if you're miles from the spot-- you get to see the miles dwindle down and get closer-- even though it kills the batteries faster.

It does? I didn't think using "GOTO" kills the batteries any faster than just leaving the unit on. Certainly it eats the batteries faster than leaving th unit off. The backlight is the real battery hog. (At least on the legend).

You can switch some units into a "battery saver" mode, but it really hurts performance, and doesn't lead to a significant battery life extention.

-- Mitch