Legend falling apart :(

wavydave

I've got a Garmin Legend that I've had for about 2 years. I haven't used it rough, been pretty nice to it, but it's starting to fall apart.

The flap that covers the dataport ripped partway, and this summer the rubber strip started coming loose. It's loose across the top, and around the left side. I've tried super gluing and using shoe goo to no avail.

Has anyone else had this problem - and do you have any suggestions to fix it?

Also, the joystick is getting finicky now. From time to time, it will only work in certain directions (i.e. only left and down) or it won't recognize when you push in to "select" and will behave that way for 5 min, then work fine.

It's also started getting the graphic glitch, where lines will be missing, or it'll have weird static lines across the whole display. Usually, I just give it squeeze on the sides to make that stop.

I really like the unit, but it seems like 2 years is a short amount of time for it to start acting up this way.

You might try black silicon rubber to fix the band.

All the other problems are probably due to a loose ribbon connector. There is a website that show you step-by-step how to fix it yourself. You should be able to google it. That's if you don't want to spend the bucks to send it in to Garmin.

And I'd like to put in a plug for using a carrying case. I've had my Vista as long as you've had your Legend, and I bet if you put it alongside one just out of the box, you couldn't tell them apart. Mine stays inside the case at all times, unless it's in the RAM auto mount (or occasionally on my bike).

3608_2800.gif

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."