Upgrading?

Guest TNRonin

Guest TNRonin

I just got introduced to this site and am looking forward to doing some of this stuff!! I have some questions... I have a 315 that I would love to update. I'm questioning the worth of buying the cable and doing it.

Is it worth it?

Do I need special software to do the upgrade?

How is the upgrade done?

Can I upgrade to make it map capable like the 330 (visual)?

If I get the cable and select a route on topoUSA how do I upload THAT information?

I'm afraid I'm going to get into a money pit. Your assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all.

Guest Iron Chef

quote:
Originally posted by TNRonin:

I just got introduced to this site and am looking forward to doing some of this stuff!! I have some questions... I have a 315 that I would love to update. I'm questioning the worth of buying the cable and doing it.

Is it worth it?

Do I need special software to do the upgrade?

How is the upgrade done?

Can I upgrade to make it map capable like the 330 (visual)?

If I get the cable and select a route on topoUSA how do I upload THAT information?

I'm afraid I'm going to get into a money pit. Your assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all.

I don't know if you can update the 315 to do maps, but usually the firmware updates are a good idea. The actual GPSR software updates are free from Magellan, its just the cable that costs. Usually you just plug in the unit and run the small utility that you downloaded from Mag and that erases the current operating system on the 315 and then replaces it with the newer one. Basicaly what they do is tweak and update the already existing software to correct for errors that have been detected in previous versions. Usually it is a good idea to update... although your milage may vary.

------------------

-Iron Chef

_ _ _ _ _ _____ _ _ _ _ _

agefive.com/geocache/ ~ Fe-26

Lets Drive Fast and Eat Cheese!

[This message has been edited by Iron Chef (edited 18 July 2001).]

Guest TNRonin

Thanks, I was curious about the update process. I was asking bout the other just in case it was possible. Having a little more sensitivity would be nice.

Hawkeye

Guest emrldjetta

If you can afford to get the computer cable it is worth it. The firmware updates are very worth installing because they correct bugs and add functionality (add new features or modify or enhance current features). A nice protective case is handy too for protecting your investment/toy. GL....Kyle

------------------

It's always something.............