walkie talkie/GPS combo

I received this response when I inquired about release date for the Rinos.

"GARMIN plans to start shipping small quantities to dealers by late July and larger quantities in August. You would have to check with a local dealer as far as when to expect them there. I am including the link to our dealer locater for your convenience."

Garmin dealer locater

My translation is don't expect to see them in stores before Aug.

[This message was edited by st_richardson on June 26, 2002 at 06:14 AM.]

I was really interested in the Rino when I first heard of them. On second thought When could I use them? Not to mention you have to have two of them.

I have a FRS radio that scrambles the transmissions. I had to buy two of them in order to use the scramble feature. I was reluctant to do that. I don't see my self buying two $200 GPS units to get a novel feature. Like seeing another users position on your screen.

I don't know the specs and their exact abilities, but are you losing some sensativity or functionallity by mating a GPSr with FRS/GMRS?

Preperation, the first law to survival.

39197_400.jpg

how big are the screens now on the e-trexes?? these would be great for camping (espescially with kids, if they get lost just have them keep talking till you track them down.) or for paintball, or for many many things i could think of. you shouldnt lose any performance.. 2 different receivers for 2 different kinds of signals. though, i cant say a one inch screen does anyone any good, i say make a larger screen and im there, 2 1/4 inches maybe...

I was in a store yesterday and saw what appears to be an Audiovox version of the Garmin Rhino. Now, I was in a rush and did not the model# however, on the box it said "GMRS/FRS GPS combo" or words to that effect. They were selling for $199.00. Has anyone else seen these? I thought Garmin was the first with this type of "toy".

quote:
Originally posted by Growley:

I was in a store yesterday and saw what appears to be an Audiovox version of the Garmin Rhino. Now, I was in a rush and did not the model# however, on the box it said "GMRS/FRS GPS combo" or words to that effect. They were selling for $199.00. Has anyone else seen these? I thought Garmin was the first with this type of "toy".

I don't think Audiovox will send coordinates.