Magellan Meridian GPS vs. Garmin GPS 72

I know this may turn into a heated topic due to brand loyalty. I'm wanting to buy a GPS unit, but having a really hard time deciding between these two. I'm not all about fancy things like mapping, but I DO want a reliable unit that doesn't have problems with tree cover and such.

In the past I have owned GPS units, but was never happy with them due to the fact they wouldn't lock onto a satellite even when in a wide open area. The ones I have owned are Garmin GPS 12, Magellan Pioneer.

I'm not willing to spend anymore over what these two(Meridian GPS and Garmin 72) cost on a GPS unit at this point because mapping isn't a required feature for me, although I would like to be able to put the purchased unit in my vehicle and get info on my travels. Between these two which one performs the best in your opinion? I really want to try geocaching.

Thanks in advance.

I searched all over locally for a Magellan Meridian GPS. The only model the "locals" had were the GOLD or PLatinum and they wanted an arm and leg for it. So, off to Wal-Mart I went and picked up a Garmin GPS 72. It seems to be a very good unit so far. Complains about lost satellites every now and then, but I was indoors so can't complain. Time will tell.

I have already entered about 5 geocache locations into the GPS72, and like the fact you can label the point as "geocache" and also has a geocache found label too. It's a good unit function-wise from what I can tell. It's really a shame out of all the reading on this thread NO ONE even OFFERED an opinion at all. That really disappointed me. Life is full of disappointments though, isn't it? hahaha

quote:
Originally posted by ppcrusa:

I searched all over locally for a Magellan Meridian GPS. The only model the "locals" had were the GOLD or PLatinum and they wanted an arm and leg for it. So, off to Wal-Mart I went and picked up a Garmin GPS 72. It seems to be a very good unit so far. Complains about lost satellites every now and then, but I was indoors so can't complain. Time will tell.

I have already entered about 5 geocache locations into the GPS72, and like the fact you can label the point as "geocache" and also has a geocache found label too. It's a good unit function-wise from what I can tell. It's really a shame out of all the reading on this thread NO ONE even OFFERED an opinion at all. That really disappointed me. Life is full of disappointments though, isn't it? hahaha

Well let's see... you post June 6 in the morning, and you purchase June 7 and complain June 8?

Bear in mind, you did ask for comparison of specific GPS's. Not everybody is going to have both of those. If you were looking for opinions of one or the other, there were certainly plenty of threads that you came in on the heels of that you could have just as easily read versus expecting folks to repeat themselves yet again. Before you whine, feel free to use the Find.

Life can be full of disappointments, until you treat them as a cache to be found. icon_wink.gif

Cheers!

TL

I have the Meridian GPS - bought it at Costco as a package that included GPS, map CD, Car Power adaptor, PC Data Cable, and suction cup car window mount. As I recall I paid something like $189 after a $50 rebate from Magellan. I have also seen the 'bare' unit at Fry's (here in the Portland, OR area) for $99. Costco is currently selling the 'sports' version in the same package deal I got.

I have been very happy with the unit & its accuracy and features. Only one caution... the maps CD is way out of date. It fails to show some major streets that have been in existance at least 7 years (maybe longer). I have talked to technical support at Magellan and they are apparently negotiating with a new third party vendor to produce updated maps, but they won't talk about time frame.

I also own a Garmin (GPS45 I think) which is an older unit with no maps. It doesn't seem to be as accurate as the Magellan, but then it is several years older, so its not a good comparrison.