Zoom in closer on SporTrak

Does anyone know a way to zoom in closer than the "100 ft" scale on a Magellan SporTrak Pro (or any other Magellan models)?

I think I've found one way to do it, but it involves an ugly hack. Was hoping someone else has already gone done this road before and found a better way...

---

LDR.

Okay, here are the basics -- but until I find a clean and supportable way to do it, you're on your own. Technically oriented users might be able use this little bit of info. But don't blame me if you screw up your GPS trying to make this work icon_smile.gif

The short version: Find the "ZOOM_TBL" in the basemap code, and insert a new multiplier value at the low end. The lowest (supported) value is 50, which gives the 100ft zoom level. But 25 works and gives a 50ft zoom level.

That's the short version. The long version would have to include instructions for decompiling, editing, and recompiling the basemap; OR how to hack it with a hex editor while keeping the rest of the ZOOM_TBL text the same length. I'm not ready to post those kind of detailed instructions yet, but I might if there's enough interest.

There are other "gotchas" I've found since playing with this that make me wonder if it's really worthwhile to do, or just a hacker's curiosity.

First: It only works if you have no detail map active (either not loaded, or switched off via the Map Utilities menu). When a detail map is loaded, the closest zoom level is still 100ft. At least until I find where they hide the ZOOM_TBL in the detail maps.

Second, and more importantly: The 50ft zoom level isn't very useful. If you COULD use it with the detail map, it would intensify your realization of how bad the detail maps are at lining with your actual position. Also, consider that the GPS will typically only have your position accurate to 10-30 feet, under most conditions. Even at a walking speed, the GPS is hard pressed to keep up with screen updates at that zoom level.

Just pacing my neighborhood this morning made me realize the 100ft zoom level shields you from seeing these limitations. Sometimes a bt of fuzziness is a good thing!

---

LDR.