Lowrance iFinder???

Guest reginaldp

Guest reginaldp

Does anyone have any idea when the ifinder is going to be released? First it was late 2000, then March, July, Sept, Nov, and God knows what from there. Lowrance is being very tight lipped about it. Now I see they made a design change to it and it's going to support an MMC card, which is nice.

At any rate, I am interested in one. I had a GM100, and really liked it, except for the form factor and battery consumption. So when the ifinder finally does come out, it'll be a shootout between it and the Meridian for me.

Rod

This doesn't answer your question, but I too am interested in the release of this product. Can't wait to see some reviews...

Is the MMC card similier to the Meridian's SD card in purpose?

Guest reginaldp

well, I spoke to lowrance yesterday, and when I asked when can we expect to see them in stores, he said "I don't know". Flat out, that's it. I pushed him for some info, but all I got out of him was maybe by next spring! Screw them. I've been waiting forever, but no more. Meridian here I come.

Rod

Guest phantom4099

Yo may just be happyer with the meridian anyways. I saw that the Ifinder is only IPX2 rated, the meridian has WAAS, a bigger basemap, more software to choose from, and I also think(not sure if I am right) that SD card are faster than MMC.

Wyatt

Guest Iron Chef

With Lowrance pushing back the release date so much, I would have a hard time as a consumer taking them seriously. I mean one delay is almost to be expected, but from the sounds of it they are having serious issues bringing this product to the shelves. Whether this is Lowrance's traditional stance of having their GPS products be second in priority to everything else that they make or just that they wanted to wait until they got everything right we'll probably never know. Or at least we'll all have to wait for a while to find out. One thing is for certain though, they are falling father behind in the game, so when the ifinder does come out it had better be a unit that makes people say "wowie!" or they'll have problems.

------------------

-Iron Chef

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

agefive.com/geocache/ ~ Fe-26

Lets Drive Fast and Eat Cheese!

Even as a die-hard GM100 user, I decided to stay away from the iFinder. They seemed to go backwards on some features like durability, voltage requirements, and non-user editable map format. Lowrance is keeping their tradition of ignoring the handheld market.

I'll stick with my GM100. I like tough little units. That way I'm less likely to rely on it too much and be really lost when it goes off.

Just to flip the coin, we don't truely know if Lowrance is guilty of pushing a product back more than other manufacturers, or if they are guilt of mentioning a new product too soon.

For all we know, the Meridian line and the Garmin V could have been pushed back just as much as the iFinder, but they may have smarter marketing departments that won't let word of new models leak out untill right before (read 2-3 months) product launch.

Lowrance may have announced this new product when it was still being designed...

Guest Iron Chef

quote:
Originally posted by arffer:

Just to flip the coin, we don't truely know if Lowrance is guilty of pushing a product back more than other manufacturers, or if they are guilt of mentioning a new product too soon.

For all we know, the Meridian line and the Garmin V could have been pushed back just as much as the iFinder, but they may have smarter marketing departments that won't let word of new models leak out untill right before (read 2-3 months) product launch.

Lowrance may have announced this new product when it was still being designed...

Good for Garmin and Magellan/Thales then. Lowrance could learn from them if they really wanted to increase their sales. Teasing loyal Lowrance fans for what seems like more than a year is just silly. Both Magellan and Garmin announced their products about 4 months before they were due to come out. And 4 months later they were in the hands of the people that wanted them.

------------------

-Iron Chef

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

agefive.com/geocache/ ~ Fe-26

Lets Drive Fast and Eat Cheese!