Where's WAAS?

Guest Mullen

Guest Mullen

I got my Vista about a week ago and I have constantly using it, exploring every usage and thing about it. However, there is one thing I did notice, my Vista does not pick up WAAS at all. I looked up this feature in the manual and it's there, it's just my Vista is not getting it.

Now I know all about WAAS (Or so I think) and from what I can tell, WAAS should be availible in my area (Seattle, WA).

Anyone have any idea what is up?

Guest bob_renner

Before your GPS receiver will use any of the WAAS satellites you need to have it download the almanac data from them. There's a good explanation of this by Dale DePriest at

http://celia.mehaffey.com/dale/dgps.htm

The procedure you should follow is listed about half way into the article. You have to enable WAAS and also run in the normal mode - not battery saver mode.

Bob

Guest Mullen

Looks like that page helped.

There seem to be 4 of the WAAS satilites but it seems too low in the sky to get any of them in Seattle.

Oh well, I am heading to SF soon, so I can check it out then.

Guest Moun10Bike

quote:
Originally posted by Mullen:

Looks like that page helped.

There seem to be 4 of the WAAS satilites but it seems too low in the sky to get any of them in Seattle.

I have successfully received WAAS signal in Seattle and throughout Washington state. The satellites are pretty low on the horizon, though, so you need a relatively clear spot to see them.

I thought that there were only two WAAS birds up in the air -- 35 and 47?

Guest c.mathis

quote:
Originally posted by Moun10Bike:

I thought that there were only two WAAS birds up in the air -- 35 and 47?

I believe you are correct.

Guest Quinnow

He is absolutely correct...there are only two up in the sky with a third being planned. so if he is getting four then he has one heck of a GPS and I want one of them icon_biggrin.gif I think what he see's is the regular sats along with the one or unlikey two waas from that area. icon_smile.gif

------------------

Quinn Stone

Rochester, NY.14616

www.Navicache.com

Guest Quinnow

He is absolutely correct...there are only two up in the sky with a third being planned. so if he is getting four then he has one heck of a GPS and I want one of them icon_biggrin.gif I think what he see's is the regular sats along with the one or unlikey two waas from that area. icon_smile.gif

------------------

Quinn Stone

Rochester, NY.14616

www.Navicache.com

Guest bob_renner

There are 4 satellites providing the service. In the US they are referred to as WAAS and their numbers are 47 and 35. In Europe it is called EGNOS while in Asia the Japanese sytems is called MSAS. The EGNOS satellite is number 33 and I'm not sure of the number for the MSAS satellite. Only 47 and 35 are visible on the west coast. On the east coast 35 and 33 are visible. The map in Dale DePriest's article

http://celia.mehaffey.com/dale/dgps.htm

shows the coverage areas for the 4 satellites.

Bob

Guest Mullen

Good news!

I finally got a WAAS satilite lock today!

I was really amazed to see it show up on Vista, but man, it was a good feeling.

Anyways, my GPS lock was within 9 feet with WAAS. Pretty good in a city (Seattle).

Thanks to everyone who helped.

Guest WaylandersMA

I want to thank you all for this great thread on WAAAS. I had my Etrex Legend for a week and and wondered why the WAAS wasn't working. Hmmm, first "enable" it. OK. twenty minutes later on top of a bridge and the almanac was all loaded. Since then I have been getting "D"'s on the top of my signal strength bars about 90% of the time.

Cool. From 42 lat the east coast "35" bird is around 40-43 degrees up.

Paul

Guest Mullen

I was San Fransisco this weekend and I would get both WAAS satilites in the city.

It's funny to barely get one in Seattle, but then get two when in San Fransisco.

However, the unfunny thing was that once I got a single WAAS satilite, my accurateness would be really bad; it would tell me where I was within 250 feet. Not as good as my usual 20-40 feet.

Anyone have any clues?

I turned on WAAS today on my eTrex Vista (and turned off the battery save mode) and got differental data for all active satellites from satellite #35 in about 5 minutes.

After another 5 minutes it was showing the average accuracy around 8-10 feet. Pretty cool!

has anyone noticed if their GPS will attempt to locate more than just one WAAS satellite? I can receive 35 without problems on my eTrex Vista but it never tries to locate 33.. i'm using v2.15 software in the unit.

Guest Hard Slate

Is my GPS12 waas capable?Will it hook-up with the GBR21?Or am I left out?

[This message has been edited by Hard Slate (edited 18 June 2001).]

Guest martinp13

I was out yesterday scouting for cache-hiding places and my Magellan 330 hooked up with the one WAAS bird I can see here in Texas. It even said it was "WAAS Avging" instead of just "Averaging". Woohoo!

------------------

> Martin

Magellan 330 (1.56/WAAS enabled!)

Don't have time to program and record your shows while geocaching? Get a TiVo !

Guest Miles678

The other day I was out on a flat island with absolutely no obstruction to the sky.

My GPSMAP 76 picked up both WAAS satellites and got a differential lock on all 12 birds!! My accuracy was around 7 feet!!!

Guest davis513

While we're on the subject of satellites...I was looking for info on the GPS satellites today and ran across the following web site:

http://sirius.chinalake.navy.mil/satpred/satpred_query.cgi?dl

It lets you put in your Lat/Lon and a date and time and it will then return a list of satellites that should be within your range.

I thought it was kind of neat. I should have my new Etrex Legend tomorrow. I thought it would be neat to compare the list with the satellites that I can actually lock on to.

[This message has been edited by davis513 (edited 19 June 2001).]

Guest martinp13

Cool site! But isn't it just easier to turn on your GPS and thumb to the satellite page and count? icon_biggrin.gif

------------------

> Martin

Guest martinp13

Cool site! But isn't it just easier to turn on your GPS and thumb to the satellite page and count? icon_biggrin.gif

------------------

> Martin