Screen protector

If someone already thought of this and posted it, I apologize.

I got a new Garmin GPS V this week and I was concerned about trying to keep the screen from getting scratched.

I had some extra clear screen protectors for my PDA and I used that on my GPS V and trimmed the excess with a razor. It worked great.

It does not hamper the visibility of the screen at all especially since these protectors are made for PDA's.

I know the Street Pilot III has some kind of coating on the screen so I personally would not try it on that unit. The GPS V just has a clear plastic screen covering the LCD.

I picked up some Micro writeguards at Fry's (cheap) and cut one to fit my Merigreen. It probably resulted in a 50% degradation of the image readability. In addition, it took a lot of work to get the screen clean after removing the film. I would suggest avoiding this brand.

What brands have others found that work well?

There are companies that make a screen protector for the GPS V and others. They are inexpsive. I just found the ones I got for christmas. Look on the net for them. Alas I can't post a link since I don't have the package handy.

One other thing. These last longer than PDA since I don't bang on my screen like I do wiht a PDA. One protector has lasted me since christmas and will probably last all summer.

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.

I also heartily endore the protectors from Strong Engineering. They're cheap, they fit well, and they have shown great responsiveness to their customers. I thought the protector I put on my Meridian would last forever, but after about 6 months I did see it was scuffed up enough to replace (I think it got that way from my chucking it into the top of my daypack cover pocket with some other loose junk). Now if I could just find the package with the rest of 'em. icon_rolleyes.gif

Max

Often wrong but seldom in doubt

This past weekend was my first outing with my GPS V screen covered with the protectors from Strong Engineering. It is adhering well and withstood the hike just fine. Cut down on the glare while driving, too. They're similar to the "WriteRight" PDA protectors you can find in electronics stores, but are a bit smoother (which is fine since you're not writing on the GPS screen). They're also cost a lot less, even after shipping.