Shopping for a GPS unit - Soliciting Recommendations

Guest Criketystx

Guest Criketystx

I've been interested in purchasing a GPS for a some time. I would like to find a unit that performs well not only hiking in the woods, but in the car and on a boat in the middle of a lake. Any recommendations would be appreciated, Thanks!

Guest malates2

Get the plain-old Garmin etrex. I've had mine for some time (just discovered geocaching though)

If you hate it... it's only $110 bucks. No big loss. It's better than buying a $350 gps and hating that one!

Guest bikerdj

I have a Garmin 38 and it works good on water but it will not work in the woods or where there is any surrounding buildings or trees. I am planning on buying a Garmin 12XL. I heard it works in most cover.

Guest Lasivian

I also bought a Magellan 315, I was able to go to "Wide World of Maps" in Phoenix and they allowed me to try out different units.

it came down to the 315 or the Garmin 150$ unit, the garmin documentation showed it to be a little less accurate, and the external mounts/cables were not in stock at the time.. so I took the magellan icon_smile.gif

I have to say i'm pretty happy with it, my next unit will have maps tho

------------------

Lasivian@usa.net - ICQ 3619356 - www.fastq.com/~lasivian

Guest Lasivian

I also bought a Magellan 315, I was able to go to "Wide World of Maps" in Phoenix and they allowed me to try out different units.

it came down to the 315 or the Garmin 150$ unit, the garmin documentation showed it to be a little less accurate, and the external mounts/cables were not in stock at the time.. so I took the magellan icon_smile.gif

I have to say i'm pretty happy with it, my next unit will have maps tho

------------------

Lasivian@usa.net - ICQ 3619356 - www.fastq.com/~lasivian

I got an etrex summit, since I want to use the altimeter and compass when mountain climbing and hiking, but I think the simple etrex or one of the two others lower cost than the summit would be great too. I used a 315 for a while and liked it enough, but I like the etex interface, more friendly, less technical. My only concern of the etex is that there is no message area. So you have 5 chararcters for a name, but no text messsage like the 315. I liked that feature. I think the GPS with maps is ok for the car, but not very useful for woods travel.

quote:
Originally posted by Criketystx:

I've been interested in purchasing a GPS for a some time. I would like to find a unit that performs well not only hiking in the woods, but in the car and on a boat in the middle of a lake.

If you're not looking for a budget GPS, I'd strongly recommend the Garmin III+. Because it allows a horizontal or vertical display, it is perfect for plunking it on any flat surface (ie: your car's dashboard). It is easy to read in that position or can be used in a vertical format when hiking and being hand-held. It accepts an external antenna if you are driving under a tree canopy or if you want your GPS in a position where it doesn't have a decent view of the sky. And best of all, the maps that you can upload into it are absolutely great for driving. In fact, I've also found them very helpful for navigating unknown streets even on foot. The accuracy of the streets was absolutely amazing. The downside? It's bigger than an eTrex and it costs at least twice as much.

...lars