Newbie Needs Some Feedback!

So this past weekend I was introduced to GeoCaching. All I can say is I have not been able to shake the thought of going out for my first Cache. I have spent a good amount of time reading the threads, and have researched GPS units to death.

Here is where I can use some help. I have narrowed down my selection to two units, the Garmin Summit and the Legend. Could anyone speak about any experience with either unit?

I plan to make my purchase this weekend so I can get started. I have already begun to watch a number of Caches in my area as well as in the Cayman Islands where I will be going in a few weeks.

All help and comments is much appreciated!

Thanks all! icon_confused.gif

The Summit has a megnetic compass. Very handy when you are close to a cache, especially if reception isn't terrific.

The Legend can load maps. Very handy to find a reasonable way to drive to the vicinity of the cache.

The Vista has both, but eats more out of your wallet.

Anders

This isn't a direct answer to your question, but have you looked at the Magellan SporTrak Pro? I purchased mine a few weeks ago and have done some geoching since.

The SporTrak Pro has never lost a signal even in heavy tree cover. Many threads speak of the Garmin units having patchy reception under the trees.

It has 23 meg of memory for uploading maps, and has a larger screen than the small Garmin units. The screen resolution isn't as fine as the Garmins, but I haven't found this to be a problem in the field.

The SporTrak doesn't have a built in magnetic compass, but I use a seperate compass. In some ways this is better. If your GPS batteries die, you still have an old fashioned compass to use for navigation, if necessary.

Just some thoughts. I'm sure you will have fun geocaching regardless of what unit you buy. If you are going to use your GPSr for geocaching only, then you only need the most basic features.

Titanium

"Some people see the glass as half empty, some see it as half full. I see a glass that's twice as big as it needs to be."

I have a Sportrak Pro and find this unit very accurate, but if you are set on a Garmin I would suggest that you look at the GPS V. It has a better antenna than some of the other Garmin units and it can download maps which is a definate advantage when you are unfamiliar with the territory.

Lost? Keep Going. Youre making good time anyway!!!

Nyc1969-

I have used eBay quite a bit (my eTrex and eMap came from there). Be sure and check the feedback rating on the person you are buying from. Pay special attention to their recent feedback. Occaissionaly, one of the big feedback sellers gets in trouble and goes bad, but their feedback should reflect this financial tailspin. Using your credit card (via Paypal or Bid Pay) is a good idea on big ticket items. It gives you additional recourse against a bad transaction, of which I've only had one (succesfully taken care of by eBay). All-in-all, it's a great place to get stuff if you exercise a litte care. : icon_biggrin.gif

icon_eek.gif Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son!

Thank you everyone for your help. I am on my way. Just purchsed a new Garmin Vista on Ebay for $290.00. Not bad considering retail is $399. I can't wait to start my hunting! I am sure I will need some further help. In any event I am on my way!

Dan icon_wink.gif

"Obstacles are what you see when you lose sight of your goals!"