76S vs Platinum vs. GPSV or? - Suggestions for 1st Timer....

Hello,

We've decided to purchase our 1st GPS and would like your suggestions.

I'm considering the new 76S, the Magellan Platinum or the GPS V.

Our uses will include: Canoeing, fun, car road trips (no NEED for turn by turn), fun, hiking, snowmobiling, etc.

I have not seen any of these models 1st hand as we live in a rural area. I've seen the Gold and e-trex line so I'v seen the difference in sizes, but have yet to see a 76(s) or a GPSV.

Your comments on the likes/dislikes of each unit are appreciated.

I have looked at the archive and am just looking for the latest opinions....

Thanks!

Greetings,

the wife has family up near that area as well as cold spring, to which we try and make it back 2x per year, yaa, you-betcha!! Now on to the units. I just picked up a gps V last friday and took it out geocaching this weekend. I was previously using a garmin 12xl. The differences are like night and day. the gps V is the same size as a gps III, and can be viewed either in portrait or landscape position. I am still getting used to all the new features, but have been very happy thus far. The turn by turn feature is pretty cool, although you need to download maps to it for more accuracy. However, from what I have seen the mapping software that comes with the gps V does have some limitations on some of the rural/urban areas. Best Buy does carry the gps V if you have a store nearby. Not sure what Gander Mountain carries, I know there is a store in St. Cloud you could probably call to check thier selection. I picked mine off Ebay for $408.00 including shipping and had it in one week. Good luck with your search.....

Meridian(s) advertized to float, also. Have been using Garmin Etrex Venture, and just ordered Magellan Meridian Platinum. If I remember & have time, I'll give you my opinion on them. I got the Magellan (daughter #2 gets the Garmin) because I wanted averaging when not moving, and the electronic compass. Both were lacking on the Garmin, and (I think) will be very useful in Geocaching & hiking.

- Klemmer

i've been using the gpsIII+, which is almost the gpsV but doesn't have some features such as turn-by-turn auto-routing. not sure if it floats though! anyhow, the gpsIII+ is about $280 on some internet sites (for the life of me i can't remember where i got mine) but remember that if you buy from offroute.com then the commission goes to geocaching.com, and the really have good prices too. i just ordered a gpsV from them. =) it was just too cool to pass up, so i'm giving up the III... anyhow, that's my unorganized 2 cents.

My friend just bought a Vista and I just bought a Platinum and here's our read on them so far. We found that we prefer the Platinum for the larger screen size and ease of buttons. The Vista's toggle joystick is hard on the fingers to use and most of the buttons are on the side of the unit and you find yourself constantly flicking it side to side to see what your pushing. The Platinum has all the controls right in Front of you so it's easy to see what you're going for. I paid $ 292 thru "online Marine" and was very satisfied. s

As for bluerock's comments on the Vista, you will soon memorize the buttons and will not have to flip it side to side. I could get through the menus and different screens on my old Legend faster than I can on my new V.

I've had the V for about two months now and have been very happy with it. The auto routing works great. I don't use as much for directions as I do for very accurate distance and ETA measurements. The directions with the City Select maps are very convenient in unfamiliar territory and I'm considering upgrading to MetroGuide for more complete coverage in rural areas. The reception is great even in the toughest conditions. It comes with an auto mount and the lighter adapter for in car power. The screen is very crisp and easy to read, which is very important when it is showing a compex street level map in cities. It can auto average when you want it to. Receives WAAS differential corrections. Etc, etc, etc... If you have the money to spend, I recommend it without reservation.

Happy caching with whatever you get.

rdw

I own a Platinum, and am mostly happy with it. I do have a couple of complains:

1) The screen resolution is a little to small.

2) No lanyard hole

3) On a map screen, it does not show a course line, only a route line.

4) Finding POI data returns at most 25 hits.

The advantages:

1) Buy a 128MB card: boatloads of room. I can store about 1/3 of the whole US. 24MB seems a little anemic.

2) My Celeron 466 with 256MB can compile and download 92MB of data in a little more than an hour (about one hour for compile, 5 minutes for download). Download 24MB of data to a Vista would take about that long. If you have a faster machine, you will get better results. The Vista and GPS V are limited by serial UART speeds.

If I were a hiker or backpacker, I might choose the Vista for its miniscule size.

The GPS V is great for driving, but be certain that you have the maps loaded for the data that you need. If you travel with a laptop so that you can re-download new maps, the GPS V would be an ideal choice. To me, the shape and size of the GPS V are not ideal for serious outdoor use, though. I will say that if the GPS V came with 64MB, I would have gotten one of those in a hearbeat instead of the Meridian.