eTrex auto mount opinions/ do you have one

Guest HomeChicken

Guest HomeChicken

I need an auto mount and want it now! LOL

But it is the weekend so I can get some opinions before the order will go through anyway. I was and am leaning towards the eTrex series suction cup mount that RAM makes for the eTrex which is

pictured HERE at this link.

etrexsuction.jpg

But Garmin makes a mean mount for the eTrex

HERE at this link

etrexauto2_tmb.jpg

The reason I am wanting the suction cup mount is that I can move it beteew our cars easily without gummy adhesives or shifting sand bags. Will the suction cup mount extend out alot and will it hold

Any of you have a eTrex mount,either one and do you like it? (getting one anyway but would like to here from you's)

------------------

Bought a eTrex Legend on 7/24/01

placed one cache Here

--HomeChicken

[This message has been edited by HomeChicken (edited 11 August 2001).]

Guest makaio

In my Jeep I use a generic cell phone mount I purchased at radio shack for $14. It uses spring loaded padded clamps to contain the unit. Just insert the phone (or GPSR) and close the clamps. It works great. This partiuclar one attaches either permanently (with screws) or with velcro (which requires one strip be applied to your dash), but I believe they come with a suction type as well.

I've also got my old GPS 12XL mount in my PU which happens to hold the eTrex quite well.

Guest rbrown3rd

I have used the RAM suction cup mount for about a year now. It is about as close to perfect as can be. I use my Emap in many various vehicles and it provides the versatility for proper positioning in all of them. I would not even consider any other type of mount. Not that I have an opinion or anything. :-)

Guest Gliderguy

I have the RAM system for a Garmin III+. both the suction cup for my car and a ball mount for my motorcycle. They probably cant be improved apon. you cant tell from the picture, but most of the parts of the RAM arent cheesy plastic, they are painted aluminum. strong as heck. The plastic parts that RAM does use (mainly the cage around the GPS itself) are probably at least twice as strong as the equivilant parts on the official Garmin bicycle mount.

[This message has been edited by Gliderguy (edited 12 August 2001).]

Guest Hawk-eye

What's the old saying about free advise ... it's worth what you paid for it ....

Well here's nothing ... I have a Vista ... and I've found that on my Suzuki G.Vitara ... you can place the unit directly in front of you at an angle and using the rubber bumper around the Vista you can very easily ... brace it between the windshield and dash ... stays in place ... visible ... and gets good reception ... oh, and it's free. Works on all our cars ... except the Intrepid.

Guest gnbrotz

I too, have the same model holder as Hawk-Eye. It works great, I never forget to bring it along and it is unbreakable!

------------------

Greg

N39°54.705'

W077°33.137'

Guest HomeChicken

rbrown3rd,Gliderguy

you guys are awesome! thanks for your reply and that will finalize it..going to the web page now to order. awesome, awesome, awesome!!

------------------

placed one cache Here

--HomeChicken

Guest Markwell

My wife still marvels at my ingenuity sometimes. I have a new Olds Intrigue, and the vertical space between the hoizontal portion of the steering wheel and the top crest of the curve is slightly taller than my eTrex. I have a rather bulky and sturdy lanyard that I've attached. I fold it three times under the eTrex and wedge the GPS into that vertical space.

Here's how it looks:

3fUCy1KxTHRlhBuSXR0kNYEHaU0WiPyP00BF.jpg

With the spedometer setting, I've got all I need in my regular driving line of site!

[This message has been edited by Markwell (edited 13 August 2001).]

Guest ecbaatz

quote:
Originally posted by HomeChicken:

I need an auto mount and want it now! LOL

But it is the weekend so I can get some opinions before the order will go through anyway. I was and am leaning towards the eTrex series suction cup mount that RAM makes for the eTrex which is

pictured HERE at this link.

etrexsuction.jpg

But Garmin makes a mean mount for the eTrex

HERE at this link

etrexauto2_tmb.jpg

The reason I am wanting the suction cup mount is that I can move it beteew our cars easily without gummy adhesives or shifting sand bags. Will the suction cup mount extend out alot and will it hold

Any of you have a eTrex mount,either one and do you like it? (getting one anyway but would like to here from you's)

I have the ram mount with for my vista, have had no problem with the suction mount. Highly recommend it. I did modify it so I could tie wrap the top tabs together when I mount it on my quad using the u-bolt mount. It wasn't quite as tight as I would like for the quad, but for the car it was fine.

------------------

Eric

Guest HomeChicken

you know I tried the wedging the eTrex between the window and the dash and it works well. I have not the best far away vision so I will have to get the mount and did order it. the wedge method worked well with my GMC truck but the PT Cruiser the window and dash meet pretty far away icon_frown.gif

I like the idea of on the sterring wheel alot and also never thought of it, might try it tomorrow. Glad everyone was happy with the RAM mount. Don't know why Garmin wouldn't make one of those, or also averaging version software or mapsource with mapblast downloan capabilites. It baffles me!

------------------

placed one cache Here

--HomeChicken

Guest HomeChicken

you know I tried the wedging the eTrex between the window and the dash and it works well. I have not the best far away vision so I will have to get the mount and did order it. the wedge method worked well with my GMC truck but the PT Cruiser the window and dash meet pretty far away icon_frown.gif

I like the idea of on the sterring wheel alot and also never thought of it, might try it tomorrow. Glad everyone was happy with the RAM mount. Don't know why Garmin wouldn't make one of those, or also averaging version software or mapsource with mapblast downloan capabilites. It baffles me!

------------------

placed one cache Here

--HomeChicken

Guest Pat in Louisiana

I found a universal cellphone holder at K-mart with an expandable base that fits in your cup holder. Didn't really care for the way it fit in mine so I just removed the base and stick the post between the split bench seats in my ram pu. that way it's right next to my right leg and very reachable and visable.

------------------

Pat in Louisiana

30:27:13.392N

91:02:55.054W

"I just want to live happily ever after every now and then"

Jimmy Buffet

[This message has been edited by Pat in Louisiana (edited 15 August 2001).]

Guest LoCache

Similar to someone who posted above, mine is in a Body Glove case and I just wedge it loosely in to the angle of the dash and windshield above my steering wheel. It's not jammed in so it doesn't hurt anything, and it is tight enough that it stays there...never fallen yet. Since it is right above my steering wheel I don't have to take my eyes off the road to see it and it works like a champ!

Geo

http://www.geopolitan.net/geotrex

Guest Pat in Louisiana

markwell, I guess you don't use external power cable :-)

AND DO NOT VELCRO TO THE AIRBAG IN THE MIDDLE OF THE WHEEL!

------------------

Pat in Louisiana

30:27:13.392N

91:02:55.054W

"I just want to live happily ever after every now and then"

Jimmy Buffet

Guest Raedwulf

It's probably to late, you've already got the mount

But... I got to thinking and sent a message to Garmin about a mount that was both cigarette lighter adapter as well as mount... might be available sometine in the future

but for now, I'm either just 'jamming' my Vista between the corner of the windshield and dash, or placing it in a cup holder

Guest HomeChicken

quote:
Originally posted by Raedwulf:

It's probably to late, you've already got the mount

But... I got to thinking and sent a message to Garmin about a mount that was both cigarette lighter adapter as well as mount... might be available sometine in the future

but for now, I'm either just 'jamming' my Vista between the corner of the windshield and dash, or placing it in a cup holder

Your right I did get it and am very happy with the materials it's made with.

rammount.jpg

------------------

I was part of or placed these Caches

Sun rising over Mt.Rubidoux

Urban Jungle

Rising sun over Chicken Coop

Guest dubblbubbl

Just went out yesterday and bought this

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F001%5F004%5F009%5F000&product%5Fid=17%2D535

at Radio Shack. Works like a charm for my etrex Venture. Needed to get away from wedging the unit between dash and glass because of use of the cigarette lighter power cord. I didn't want to damage the plug by putting it under pressure.

Guest HomeChicken

quote:
Originally posted by LuvGuppy:

Hi HomeChicken, glad to hear you like the mount. It?s hard to tell from the picture, can you use the external power cable with this mount?

Guppy

yep I did notice you could use the power cord with this mount..even the lanyard could be left on. Nice mount!

dubblbubbl, That looks like it will work fine also and only $20!

------------------

I was part of or placed these Caches

Sun rising over Mt.Rubidoux

Urban Jungle

Rising sun over Chicken Coop

Guest Chris Juricich

I found that my Map 76 easily fits into the space wedged between my windshield and dashboard. Of course, I don't think of sharing this notion with my significant other because she would worry about the distractions it would cause.