Garmin Legend... Is this normal

Hi,

I just got a new Legend yesterday, and I have a small problem with it. The zoom out button is much more difficult to push than the zoom in button. It's like the button underneath the rubber covering is not close enough to the side of the unit.

Is this normal for a Legend?

Another thing I've noticed is that when I push a button, I can feel the insides of the unit move around a bit.

My legend zoom buttons push the same. I can feel a click as I push them but the inside stuff does not move around.

I would return yours, you should not be feeling anything moving inside when you push a button.

Did you know that the base of my wine glass fits perfectly into a family size tomato soup can?

I have a Vista.... same exact case.

The buttons are hard to press. They are much harder to press than the click stick and find button. They are like that because they arent supposed to be hit accidentally. But, if you are feeling the guts of the unit moving around its probably broke. Does it make a rattle if you shake the unit? It shouldnt.

Ok, I exchanged it. The insides of this one do not move around at all. So, it's all good. I have another question though.

Is it common for the basemap to be off on these? I was driving down a road, and it showed me being about 200 feet to the east of the road that I was on. I did not drive down the road with the one that I just returned, so I have nothing to compare it to. So, I don't know if it is just this unit.

The GPS unit said that it was currently accurate to seven feet.

??

Thanks,

Scott

I just did a cache the other day that all topo's showed the road North of the cache. After pulling up the aerial view you can clearly see that the road was re-aligned once and now is to the South of the cache.

Maybe that's what you ran into??

Did you know that the base of my wine glass fits perfectly into a family size tomato soup can?

No, this road's always been there. Ever since anyone around here can remember, anyway.

For instance, I was out driving today, and I crossed some train tracks. According to the basemap, I never did cross those tracks.

I got mapsource today, loaded up my county, and took a drive. There are times when I'm right on according to the map, and then there are times when I'm driving off the road and into a ditch, at least according to the map.

Is this normal? I'm wondering if I'm going to need to take this GPS back as well. How much should I trust the maps to be right on. How much should I trust myself to be right on the maps?

You guys are the experts, so I'll trust what you say. icon_smile.gif

The maps aren't always that accurate, and your GPS isn't always that precise. In other words, if you blacken all your car windows and expect to navigate soley the GPS, you're gonna run off the road real quick.

I think there is a "lock on road" function or something like that that may make it look like you're not driving in a ditch, but I'm not sure what good that really is. I've never messed with it.

Chances are, there is nothing wrong with your GPS receiver. Not always being exact on the map is pretty common. Even if you get more detailed maps, you'll still find some errors from time to time. It happens with paper maps, too.

George

If you load maps from the MetroGuide pack, your Legend can use a feature called "Lock on road". This means that it will position you on a nearby road, if any, when you are travelling at a speed that makes it probable that you are going by some kind of vehicle (above 10 knots), even if it measures your position to be a few meters off the road.

It's no better, but it looks better that way.

The basemap can be off several hundred meters, occasionally, without anything being wrong with your unit. Don't zoom in beyond the scale where you get the "overzoom" warning. If you do, you'll get a scale, which the accuracy of the basemap can't match.

Anders

quote:
Originally posted by Usmaak:

Is it common for the basemap to be off on these? I was driving down a road, and it showed me being about 200 feet to the east of the road that I was on. I did not drive down the road with the one that I just returned, so I have nothing to compare it to. So, I don't know if it is just this unit.

The GPS unit said that it was currently accurate to seven feet.

Scott

Sure it happens on my e-Trex legend all the time. I keep telling my wife she is going to have to improve her driving. The car has to stay on the road, not in the ditch! I don't know why it happens, but Garmin is off the hook because the first screen that comes up when you turn it on says "you assume total risk and responsibility in using this device". So if you want to drive in the ditch, it's not their fault. Even scarier is driving over a bridge and find you are driving in the water....

Ar

quote:
Originally posted by Anders:

If you load maps from the MetroGuide pack, your Legend can use a feature called "Lock on road". This means that it will position you on a nearby road, if any, when you are travelling at a speed that makes it probable that you are going by some kind of vehicle (above 10 knots), even if it measures your position to be a few meters off the road.

It's no better, but it looks better that way.

The basemap can be off several hundred meters, occasionally, without anything being wrong with your unit. Don't zoom in beyond the scale where you get the "overzoom" warning. If you do, you'll get a scale, which the accuracy of the basemap can't match.

Anders

ok, first i dont know much about the mapping units and less about the garmins, but is this feature similar to a 'error' correction in so much as it assumes the map to be accurate and then 'corrects' it tracklog position to fit the road?

i see this feature would have an advantage to municipal engineers tracking their service trucks...but i notice the same thing using ozi is that my tracklogs will often be off the road due to gps errors. so how would the gps calculate milage, by the 'actual' route it would have recorded of the route 'corrected' to fit the mapped road?

'Get to the point---speak English!!!!'

When you have the "lock to road" function selected, it appears that everything computed, and saved by receiver is based on the "Corrected" position. Trip computer, tracklogs etc. I don't use lock to road much as the maps in my area for the older metroguide are so bad that it often locks to the wrong road fairly often. If you download and look at the tracks afterwards on ExpertGPS aerial photo maps, you'll find the lock to road actually made your track record in the wrong place.

The latest Metroguide USA eliminates this problem in most areas. If you look at it in various areas, it tends to be considerably more accurate. On the downside, there are a few areas where the company hasn't recorded their own data, so there might not be any roads shown for some rural areas you're interested in. Far from perfect, but getting better slowly.

I'm using the Roads & Recreation software with my Legend. The maps are off. The lock on road feature is available, but has no effect. Two of my coworkers have the same setup with the same results.

We also have the latest firmware loaded into our GPSs.

Not a big deal, but it's a shame this feature isn't working with this software. Also a shame that the software isn't near as detailed as Street Atlas!

For what it's worth, if I log my trip to a location and back, my tracks are almost on top of one another... both of which may be off the road according to the map. Easy to tell where I'm going, but would have liked better accuracy. The GPS typically gives me 20' or better resolution and the track is more than that off the road.

Robert

http://www.2manytoyz.com/

I, too, have a Legend and the insides move. Not enough to really see, but I can feel as the friction gives up and it shifts about 1mm to the side away from the button I'm pressing.

Also... with the batteries out, I can see the board moving by focussing on the backup battery.

Like I say, it's only a tiny movement, but I don't think the eTrex yellow did this. Am I overreacting, or should I have a word with Garmin when we see them at the next event?