Who has 2 identical GPS units now???

GOT GPS?

Just wondering what GPS that you have 2 of ??

I bought a second GPS V today, the Deluxe version with 2 CD-Roms, and now I will be able to compare Firmware, Antennas, Signal reception or whatever. I can use each one with different mapping, or Hike with one, and drive using the other one.

My old GPS V had only one CD-Rom with 450 megabytes on it, so there is a big difference now.

------------------------

5_Rubik.gifMy home page about GPS units and information

i wish i personally owned several units, but alas the wife would have a fit.

i do get to test several recreational units (mine, dads, brothers and a couple of friend) against gis gear, dgps, etc. the results generally are quite good, the recreational units are normally right on and if used as intended (ie a safety device while outdoors) would always get you where you were going.

quote:
Originally posted by GOT GPS?:

Just wondering what GPS that you have 2 of ??

I have two eMaps, one being a newer model with "MARK" printed in white just below the "ENT" key. The older model does not have "MARK" printed on it and has a slightly differently shaped clear plastic window with a sharper bevel on it as compared to the newer unit.

I also have two GPS V's, one being an older unit with the older version of City Select, the other being a GPS V Deluxe with the newer version. These two units differ from each other in that the available map memory is slightly different. the newer unit has approx 28k *less* memory (or something very close to that) that prevents me from loading the exact same mapset that I can load into the older unit. I have to select a different smaller region or MapSource returns a "not enough memory to load mapset" error message.

Serg

I have two GPS v's and two streetpilot III's. Whenever I geocache sole, I take both units. As soon as I get out of the car, I mark the car's location on both units and then put one unit back into my backpack. (turned of of course) I figure if the unit I am walking with malfunctions, I could use the other unit to get back to the car. I have been out on cloudy days and I do night caches also and I have there have been times when I had no idea which way the car was after I found the cache.

I use the Streetpilot III to get me to the closest parking area to the cache site. The large color screen and the vocal directions make it real easy to follow while driving.

I have two sportrak maps (One is actually my daughters, but she lets me play with it since I gave it to her.) I still have 3.03 loaded in one and 4.03 in the other. I've only carried both on a few occasions, mostly to compare firware, and to verify something I learned from someone on the newsgroup, namely, that the position error my sportrak tracks suffer can be affected by what side of a pack or my body they are carried on.

As for comparing side by side, I mostly have just compared the sportrak and my legend. The sportrak gets less and less actual use the more I run them side by side however. I just prefer the legend overall for most uses.

For what it's worth

Jeff

Thank God for this thread! It's nice to hear that there are a few other people who own way more than they really need to. At last count here is the story; 1 StreetPilot III, 2 Vs, 2 eMaps, 3 III Plus, 1 12Map, 1 Map76S, with another 12Map, III Plus, and eMap on the way.

Except for the SteeetPilot III and one of the Vs everything is for sale.

Holy COW, Rocky!!

Hey, why dont you go set some more caches around the Dansville area, an use them as geo-swag?... icon_smile.gif

As a matter of fact, I might be going over there and doing Jacobs Jest today. Just waiting to see if a friend of mine from West Sparta wants to go....

I have a Merigreen, a SportTrak Map, a 315 and Mom has a Map330. I've compared them all, except for the 315.

Art

www.yankeetoys.org

www.BudBuilt.com

http://www.ttora-ne.mainpage.net/

WOW, this is almost like a brag session at a GEO-anon meeting!! Just kidding, I have peaked at 4 so far but no twins. A Vista, Legend, Yellow Etrex and a Eagle Explorer. Down the the Vista and Yellow, for now.

It's not a sport unless there is something dead in the back of the truck when you get home.

With 2 kids, how can you geocache as a family with one GPSR? I bought the second Vista when my wife asked to borrow mine for a girls getaway road trip. I wanted her to take it, but I didn't want to be without one myself. I doubt she would have taken it if she had known I would find out just how fast her girlfriend was driving on the highway through the mountains. Sure, she could have deleted the tracklog, but that never ocurred to her.