Mag 315 accuracy

Bud/Liz

I have just started geocaching and am having a lot of trouble. I have the Mag 315 and I don't understand how you guys have been getting so close to the treasure, like 4 or 5 feet. I have found 2 now and only by luck. My gps was way off and it seems like it jumps a lot. I will start walking toward the right coord. and then I will be past it. My Mag 315 will only get me as close as .01 miles. Is this normal? how do you get withing a few feet.

I am also having a lot of trouble with the whole averaging thing. I will walk a little ways in the right direction and stop and eith the map won't move or it won't stop moving and I will go right past my stoping point?

Can anyone help me and give me some advice. I have just downloaded the new firmware V3.15 and installed it.

Thanks,

Bud and Liz icon_confused.gif

You say "I have just downloaded the new firmware V3.15 and installed it." Does that mean you haven't tried your 315 with the new, improved firmware? If so, try it, and call back. But if your problems occurred with the new firmware (3.15), then sorry, I can't help (and come to think of it, I can't help if the first condition exists, either). But otherwise, sure, there's probably a solution.

aaaah... Why on the map mode???

I have Magellan Meridian GPS and use compass screen... Furthest it has been in my five finds has been 8 feet, closes was 3 feet ...With compass screen, the "needle" swings wildly within a few feet of location is you "wander" around.... I find that if I walk out 15 feet or so, and come back in on spot (triangulate) its pretty close...

I cheated, when to school grounds, picked a landmark (spot in grass) and made it a way point and worked with different options and techniques to get me to "that" specific spot. I wanted to understand what the unit was telling me before I adventured out into the "wilds".

Dale

--------------------------------------------------------

I'm Diagonally Parked, In A Parallel Universe.

--------------------------------------------------------

I have used the 315 since Jan 2001 when I found geocaching. I have NEVER felt the need to upgrade till recently. I stay on the "TO: waypoint screen most of the time. I track in watching the bearings and my distance. YOU HAVE TO KEEP moving in order the unit to update. And if you loose signal when you are close to the cache, you could walk right by it and not know it until your unit picks up signal again and shows you past it. I have only run into this in HEAVY tree cover. Otherwise, I have had no other problems. When finding a cache, I get in to 0.0 miles and I know I am in the area close. I then began to use a caching-sense and look where I would hide one. If all else fails, there is the clue.

The only reason I sold my 315 recently is b/c I won a free copy of S&D and I need to upgrade to use it. That software is so expensive, that I would hate to not take advantage of it.

Good luck!

Phil

LaGeocaching

Bud/Liz,

Your .01 distance works out to 52 feet, which is pretty good. I found my first few caches with a borrowed MAP330 and was usually within 2-12 feet.

Are you arriving at the .01 distance because this is where the unit says the cache is, and you're finding it elsewhere? Or does the distance never go below this number? These are two completely different problems. One can be remedied by the solution below, the other is a matter for Magellan to correct.

It's possible that the unit isn't using the correct data format, i.e., dd mm.mmm, maybe your unit is set to dd mm ss. Using the wrong data format will always place you in the wrong spot.

Good luck.

there have been some good points made here.

i have had my mag 315 for about 3 years mow and use it regularly (3-4 times a week) and have never had any trouble like you are.

i can "goto" my mob and walk across my house and get the distance indicator to count dawn to 0m. the coordinate format will affect this somewhat as will the satellite lock. try using you gps and take note of the quality of satalite lock on the status screen. my unit regularly gets a solid lock on 6-8 satellites. if your unit is not gaining solid lock you could get these problems, another thing to consider is the way you hold the unit, you should hold it vertical.

another thought, try to reinstall your firmware again. the install probably went ok but with computer chips you never know.

try these suggestions and if no success post back and well see what we can do to help.