I'm think I'm going to throw in the towel

Hi:

I am thinking about throwing in the towel and selling my Magellan Meridian Platinum and the accessories and software. I will post it in the For Sale forum here.

I just can't not seem to "get" all the things that I want to do with it. For example, I still haven't figured out how to download waypoints from MapSend to the GPSr. I still haven't figured out how to use EasyGPS. The list goes on but I do have some dignity left and don't wish to publicly humiliate myself. hahahahahahahahahahahaha

So, do you think asking $250 would be a fair aslomg price for;

* Magellan Meridian Platinum - v4.02 firmware update. (V4.06 on a CD as well)

* Magellan PC Data Cable – SporTrak/Meridian

* Magellan Meridian Vehicle Mounting Bracket

* Magellan Power Cable w/Cigarette Lighter Adapter SporTrak/Meridian

* 64MB Secure Digital Memory Card

* MapSend Streets and Destinations U.S.A. V4.o0F

* Duracell Rechargeable AA Batteries (4) with One Hour charger NiMH/1.2V/1800mAh

I don't want to sell each item individually. I thought I'd offer all items here before heading to eBay.

Thanks,

Skippy2

Skippy2~

Hang in there BUD.....you have all the GOOD tools, you just need time to learn how to use them. You dont pick up a violin and the next day play at the Metropolitan Opera House.

You are among friends here...so just ask your questions.

I would hate to see you loose so much money on your purchase because $250 is to cheep a price for all that stuff.

Garmin GPS V units are much better:

*Better Tracklogging

*Better Mapping

*Better Trip Computer Info Page.

*Easier to upgrade the Firmware.

BUT, the Platinum is still the best Cache seeking device.

Another thing is that your computer may have problems with your ports.

With EasyGPS, and the Platinum, heres what you have to do:

Put GPS on comm 1 or 2, then set EasyGPS to the same port that you plugged your GPS into.

Set the Platinum to 4800 baud, and your EasyGPS to 4800 baud(Platinum is best at this speed)

Make sure that you go to the PDA's HotSync icon in the SysTray, and exit it, before trying to get the comm ports working.

I use the GPS V for most things now, it is just a better device. I don't use the Platinum much anymore, now that I have 2 GPS V's.

When you set EasyGPS to Garmin, it should work the first time. For me It was hard to get the Magellan working, but the Garmin was easy, I had to set the Baud Rate for the Meridian to 4800 Baud in the GPS and all my programs, this is one reason I like Garmin better.

--------------------------------------------------

My Old posts as Geoffrey

My Current Post as GOT GPS?

My profile

My Home Page about what is GPS

[This message was edited by GOT GPS? on June 29, 2003 at 10:55 AM.]

I have Mapsend Topo, but just use it for the maps themselves and don't even bother trying to interface between the gps and the puter for putting in waypoints. I download/upload waypoints the digital way... using the digits on my hands. icon_wink.gif

Hang in there. Figure out each element one at a time. And the biggest thing is to just go out and have fun, not get drowned in technical issues. Hand-plug-in some coordinates on your gps and go find some caches, that's what it's really all about. The rest will come in time as you get to know the technology icon_smile.gif

Team Kender - "The Sun is coming up!" "No, the horizon is going down."

I agree w/ Kender. I got fed up trying to manage all my waypoints, tracks, routes, etc. on my MeriPlat. I mean, you need like 3-4 diferent programs to do it effectively and it just got to be too much of a hassle. But hand plugging in coordinates, ignoring tracks and routes - now it's fun again!

-eremite

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." -Galileo Galilei.

"The indoor life is the next best thing to premature burial." -Edward Abbey

This is my first post and I am new to GPS Units but my wife just got me the Magellan Platinum and I have added Mapsend Topo. Please consider this with the spirit it is given. While I had some problem at first, I was to cheap to buy an SD card. Once I did that, I haven't had any more problems.

When you connect to the GPS unit does the unit say that it has found the magellan?

Have you gone into the menu, card utilities and tested the memory card?

As others have suggested check the baud rate settings. I use 57600 and I haven't had any problems yet and I downloaded all the topo data for Colorado and a couple of simple waypoints.

I would be happy to try to help work you through the problems you are having. I can't help you with Easy GPS as I haven't gotten that far yet. Only hit my first cache yesterday.

The elder buttsadraggin

George

I've been using my MeriPlat for nine months now and it is an awesome device for finding geocaches! It will usually place me within peeing distance of every cache I hunt. Magellan's service and support are excellent, possibly the best in my experience and opinion. You have all the tools to enjoy this new sport of ours. May I suggest you solicit some help and give things a chance to gel for you? YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED!

What has happened here? It's simple: too much crap! Get rid of the TOPO and the SD card and the computer programs and all that connect-to-your-computer add-on automatic waypoint BS stuff...you don't really need EVERY friggin street in North America loaded onto the thing! Are you gonna get THAT lost?

Wanna go caching? Just enter the cache coords and go find it.

I am always reading about "Oh, I can't get the new software to load", "My Platinum went dead after I tampered with the internal program", "I have to go into the basemap and change it all around, and now it won't work".

Gee, I wonder why.

Just keep it simple, and go have fun, like when you did your first cache. Remember?

Less IS better. Don't give up, Skippy, just get back to the basics for a bit.

[This message was edited by TEAM 360 on July 01, 2003 at 04:46 PM.]

Hey,

I'm all new to this, but I have been researching for days now. If you want to get back to basics, I have got an offer for you. I have a 1992 Sony Pyxis complete set up with hard case, 12v adapter, and all manuals. Like I said, I am new to this, but this unit hasn't missed yet and I still have to plug in the co=ordinates with up/down side/side arrows. And it's an eye catching unit as well. I think that I could handle your Magellan, would you consider a partial trade?