Legend vs Meridian Gold

beebin

I am new to GPS. Will use for geocaching and hiking and navagation in the car. I have researched as much as I can and have narrowed what I want down to a mapping GPS.

The Legend and Meridian Gold seem to be my two top contenders. I know all the features and the pros and cons according to a spec sheet.

Can anyone provide real-world experience or information on them?

Thanks

I recently purchased a Legend after researching ALL of the mapping units including all Magellan brands. I actually got to try the Legend, Meridian, and Sportrax series before buying. My deciding factor for getting the Legend was the size factor, no difference in reception signal (even under tree cover), and ultimately more detailed maps on the Legend, IMHO.

Very pleased with my Legend. One of the things that I really like is the fact that it is designed for one-hand operation. Makes it very easy to use when bushwhacking. As for the expansion card issue, if you intend to load huge chunks of map data, you might think about it, but I have yet to find that eight Mb is too little (ok, admitedly, I do have to upload and delete the odd map, but I don't find that a huge inconveince). icon_smile.gif

I am in a similar situation as you are, except that I had the benefit of having a Palm 505 with a Magellan companion that I have been using for about a year. I finally settled on the gold and went to gpsplanet.com and found the price so good I ordered the platinum. Size at first was a consideration, but the expandability of the SD card really over shadowed the size issue. With my Palm I have a 64 K SD card that is nearly full with maps. With all the traveling, both professionally and personal, that I do I hate to delete and reinstall maps all the time. Either way you decide you will have fun toy that soon will be outdated with new technology.

Fathergoose

The truth is though, the Magellans with their Quad Helix Antennas, are going to get better reception over the patch antennas under tree cover. Also, for car use, the magellans are better because of the biggers screen and much bigger mapping memory. But if you dont have a problem with your Legend, why switch right?

I do what I gotta do, when I GOTTA do it.

Legend and Meridian

I have had a Legend for several months after 5 years with a Garmin II. A couple of weeks ago I found a Mapsend CD in a cache, and then I saw the Meridian Greens for $99.99, so I got one. Here is my comparison:

Legend:

Great small size (is mistaken for a cell phone) and best screen resolution in a handheld. Great for using one-handed while walking. It has a better base map and a good, intuitive interface. It is extremely accurate, and seems to process changes in direction/bearing quickly. Very good tracking features.

Meridian Green/Yellow: (If you get a card and map--same usablility as Gold model.) Bigger screen (but worse resolution) and best when used in a car or boat, because it works best when vertical--because it has a helix antenna. It gets a lock better under heavy cover/trees/in vehicle. It has some nice features like a comment field for waypoints, that EasyGPS will fill with the cache name.

The versatility of the SD card is impressive. You can load topo, road and marine maps all on card and switch between them. I have a 128MB card which is much bigger than the Legend's 8MB, and you can use a card reader. The proximity/anchor alarms are nice.

I like and am keeping both. Make your decision based on where/how you will use and if you are using maps and traveling over a big area. They are both great units and so much better than the old GPSrs. (Anyone want a II?)

I know this fella already decided on what he wanted, but dont forget about the Lowrance Ifinder. I use a Garmin Rino in ruff conditions and times where I dont need roads or detailed mapping since I cant use it in the car due to the small screen(I use it for skiing and backpacking but thats about it w/topo of course).

But the Lowrance Ifinder is a very very good unit for the price you can get it. I got mine brand new over EBAY for 90$ and it has super detailed tracking and more advanced options for us "smart" people. It does not have that fancy OS that garmins have but it does the job. I got the mapping on a burned CD from someone over ebay for only 40$ and it seems the LOWRANCE is every thing the Meridian w/ mapping and SD card is because it has the 128mb mapping by MMC/SD cards, SUPER SENSITIVE ANTENNA, and way more memory for things you really need---event markers are more usefull then you think. Ok im done-just dont forget about those Ifinders if your low on money and want an excellent "do it all and more" GPS.

I do what I gotta do, when I GOTTA do it.