GPS III slow to react

Guest raptorrider2001

Guest raptorrider2001

Recently purchased a III. Still getting used to the changes from my Vista. Noticed yesterday that when walking and changing directions, it takes from 20 to 30 steps for the "North" pointer to go to the north position on the screen. Even the small pointer is slow. In the car, it seems to change fairly rapidly but have not really used it but a few minutes either way. Is this common to the III?

Guest Gliderguy

Kinda depends on how fast you walk and how many sats you have locked. At a brisk pace with good reception it should only take 10 steps or so to be pointing the right direction.

Guest raptorrider2001

Thanks. I felt like it should not take as long as it does. the Vista does not hesitate at all. I had a good strong lock on 7 satellites. I had decided that I had some settings wrong. Walking down my street at a good pace, it would take a couple of houses before it would change directions. Everything else was reading ok. I will have more time toplay with it in a day or so. Am disappointed in it so far. Hope it gets better. Just wish the Vista has the same reception under cover.

[This message has been edited by raptorrider2001 (edited 27 November 2001).]

Another thing to check: is the battery save mode turned on? My III+ seems to track better with the battery save turned off. I think it's becuse in b-save mode the receiver is only turned on occasionally to update the position, and b-save off keeps the receiver turned on all the time.

Jerry.