FREE eval MapAdvisor PDA software for geocachers

Free edition of QuakeMap will hide some tiles on a map after evaluation period.

However free edition of QuakeMap will generate all necessary images for MapAdvisor including hidden images which you cannot see on QuakeMap screen.

IMPORTANT:The output file from QuakeMap has all images for MapAdvisor!

So don't affraid to use free edition of QuakeMap. If you want to see hiddien tiles in free edition of QuakeMap, just restart it and hidden tiles will be moved.

If you do not want to use QuakeMap, you can order maps by e-mail from MapAdvisor. Check our website www.mapadvisor.com how to do it.

For example, you plan to find geocache and know its coordinates from graundspeak.com. Send e-mail with coordinates to us and we will prepare map for you.

If for some reason you cannot see some images on MapAdvisor screen, it can be

1. low memory situation on PDA.

Solution: Move some programs to your storage card to free up RAM and try again.

2. some old PDA with slow CPU (33Mhz) on Palm 4.1 can show black tiles sometimes.

Solution: Free up memory in RAM for MapAdvisor (need 2-3Mb) and try again.

Hope it helps.

If any questions, please send e-mail to mapadvisor@cox.net.

The grey cells (registration reminder) are just an overlay on the screen, they don't impact QuakeMap's ability to export completely useable tile sets to MapAdvisor. This ability is not going to terminate in free trial (trial is not limited in time). The cells cover about 8% of the screen surface, leaving the map quite useable (at least for MapAdvisor purposes).

Screenshots on website http://www.mapadvisor.com updated to show last changes in release version of MapAdvisor.

Website also shows new links to internet stores (Handango, PalmGear, PocketGear) where you can buy MapAdvisor for Palm or for PocketPC.

FAQ updated to reflect the usage of new features like reading GPX files and easy entering GPS coordinates without typing digits.

Guys, the MapAdvisor team needs your help in beta-testing NEW

MapAdvisor v.2.2 GPS Edition for iQue 3600

The main features of the new edition are

• reading data from iQue GPS in real-time and displaying current location and track on MapAdvisor Aerial and Topo maps
  • automatically recording a track to MapAdvisor database based on data coming from GPS
  • checking GPS status without interrupting track recording
  • setting minimum time/distance between trackpoints
  • displaying real-time GPS data such as velocity, compass/heading, GPS geo coordinates and altitude, accuracy of GPS location data, traveled distance and elapsed time

In addition to GPS features, this edition has very FAST map loading and navigation (several times faster than regular edition MapAdvisor 2.0.1).

If you are interested in testing new "MapAdvisor GPS Edition", please e-mail us at mapadvisor@cox.net

Additional information and Screenshots will be available in a couple days on www.mapadvisor.com

mapadvisor

I too was annoyed with the random tiles that appear over the sat imagery, but ended up paying the $9.95 for a registered version. It is sometimes an invaluable tool for me to plot out certain caching days, especially when they involve mountains and I can gauge better in some cases using sat photos vs. topo maps.

I learned of some access points for a cache I will be placing that wouldn't have been known prior to the hike, and may have otherwise been missed.

For anyone who doesn't know what an iQue is, it is a PDA handheld with a built-in GPS.

MapAdvisor GPS Edition v.2.2 can use the iQue's GPS unit to locate you on an aerial/satellite or topo map, combining the usefulness of these maps with real-time GPS data and letting you see your location much more precisely than when using an unclear, simple map like that on a standalone GPS device.

The previous version of MapAdvisor allowed only manual entering of new tracks, while MapAdvisor GPS Edition can record tracks automatically and display them in real time on a satellite map.

mapadvisor

Be wiser, use MapAdvisor!

Edited by mapadvisor

Screenshots of NEW beta version of MapAdvisor 2.2 GPS Edition for GARMIN iQue 3600 are on mapadvisor website www.mapadvisor.com. See section Screenshots and look at the bottom of a page for new features of MapAdvisor 2.2 GPS Edition.

Attention Beta testers:

Who has Garmin iQue 3600 (Palm and GPS all in one) and wants to help in testing of MapAdvisor 2.2, please send request to mapadvisor@cox.net

We issue free licenses for beta testers.

mapadvisor

Be wise, use MapAdvisor !

MapAdvisor works on a PDA, or handheld. With MapAdvisor, you can record tracks and see them on the PDA.

Also, a PDA is much more portable than a laptop and can be carried when hiking, etc.

USAPhotoMaps may be a good program, but it works on a laptop and not a PDA.

MapAdvisor GPS Edition is the only program to combine aerial maps with GPS data and tracks on a PDA.

MapAdvisor v.2.2 GPS Edition for iQue 3600 and MapAdvisor v.2.2 Standard Edition have been released.

The common features of the new editions are

• Displays satellite (aerial) photo maps (up to 3 zoom levels) (NEW)
  • Displays color topo maps (up to 3 zoom levels) (NEW)
  • Displays landmarks on a map
  • Displays waypoints (geocaches, user-defined, etc.)
  • Displays a description of waypoints and landmarks
  • Create/Save user-defined waypoints in waypoint database
  • Create/Save user-defined trackpoints in trackpoint database
  • Allows deletion of a waypoint or trackpoint from screen and/or database (NEW)
  • Displays saved and imported waypoints and tracks
  • Measure distances on a map
  • Find specified geo coordinates on a map
  • Find waypoints such as geocaches on a map
  • Find landmarks on a map
  • Import LOC files with geocache information via storage card (NEW)
  • Import GPX files with geocache information via storage card
  • Import GPX files with geocache information via QuakeMap program
  • Export waypoints and tracks to GPX file on storage card (NEW)
  • Accelerated refreshing a screen during browsing maps (fast browsing) (NEW)

Additional Features unique to GPS Edition:

• Displays your current location on a map in real time based on GPS data (NEW)
  • Displays current coordinates, altitude, velocity based on GPS data (NEW)
  • Displays current direction (heading), distance, elapsed time based on GPS data (NEW)
  • Displays how close you are to destination waypoint based on GPS data (NEW)
  • Displays current growing track on a map and store it automatically in track database(NEW)
  • Customize time period and distance settings between consecutive track points in real time (NEW)
  • Display GPS status, accuracy in vertical and horizontal position (NEW)
  • Allow to Import waypoints created by built-in iQue program (NEW)

Check out our new website www.mapadvisor.com for details.

Evaluation version for both editions is available for 15 days.

MapAdvisor 2.2 Standard Edition for Pocket PC will be released tomorrow.

mapadvisor

We are continue beta-testing a new MapAdvisor 2.3 GPS Edition of for Palm and PocketPC that allows a cable serial connection to an external GPS for reading data in real time.

MapAdvisor 2.3 can work with any external GPSs that support NMEA protocol. such as

• Garmin eTrex,...
  • Magellan Sportrack,...
  • NAVMAN,...
  • others

If somebody is interested in beta-testing, please contact us at mapadvisor@cox.net.

Bete-tester will get a free license for MapAdvisor.

mapadvisor

www.mapadvisor.com

Screenshots

We successfully tested a new MapAdvisor 2.3 GPS Edition of for Palm and PocketPC that allows a cable serial connection to an external GPS (Garmins, Magellans, Navmans) for reading data in real time.

Now we need your help to test Bluetooth GPS connections.

If somebody is interested in beta-testing, please contact us at mapadvisor@cox.net.

Bete-tester will get a free license for MapAdvisor.

mapadvisor

www.mapadvisor.com

Screenshots

We would like to invite beta testers who have

1. Pocket PC and CF GPS

2. Palm Sony NX and CF GPS

3. PDA with bluetooth GPS

to test a new MapAdvisor 2.3 GPS Edition. It is working well for these models now, but we need more tests on different models.

Please contact us at mapadvisor@cox.net.

MapAdvisor displays your location on a satellite aerial map in real time.

Beta testers will get a free license for MapAdvisor.

mapadvisor

www.mapadvisor.com

Screenshots

• MapAdvisor v.2.3 GPS Edition for iQue 3600
  • MapAdvisor v.2.3 GPS Edition for Palm
  • MapAdvisor v.2.3 GPS Edition for Pocket PC

have been released

Note: MapAdvisor 2.3 GPS Edition for Palm and Pocket PC replaces previous MapAdvisor 2.2 Standard Edition. Owners of Mapadvisor 2.2 Standard Edition can download MapAdvisor 2.3 GPS Edition for Palm and Pocket PC and gain all new features without needing a new license

Basically now all editions support GPS and display your position on aerial map in real-time. New version adds better track handling, additional track display options, storing user preferences (port number, baud rate, track color, display options, etc.) , support navigation and zoom with hardware buttons.

MapAdvisor v.2.3 GPS Edition for iQue 3600 uses the built-in GPS

MapAdvisor v.2.3 GPS Edition for Palm and Pocket PC use external GPS such as serial GPS, card flash CF GPS, bluetooth GPS.

Check out the full list of MapAdvisor 2.3 features on our website

www.mapadvisor.com

Screenshots are here

Free 15 day evaluation is available via our website, PalmGear, PocketGear and Handango.

Owners of Mapadvisor 2.2 and our beta-testers can upgrade MapAdvisor for free.

mapadvisor

We updated our FAQ topic GPS Configuration and Track Recording to include examples how to configurate port/baudrate to use MapAdvisor with an external GPS (serial cable connection and card flash CF GPS).

Examples include some popular PDA and GPS combinations

• Serial connection Palm with eTrex, Sportrak, Navtech...
  • Pocket PC with Pharos CF GPS
  • Sony Clie NX, NZ with Globsat CF GPS

mapadvisor

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>
  • MapAdvisor v.2.3 GPS Edition for iQue 3600
  • MapAdvisor v.2.3 GPS Edition for Palm
  • MapAdvisor v.2.3 GPS Edition for Pocket PC

have been released </span>

USA AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Watch out for this program, I just loaded Mapadvisor Trial Version (From the website) on my Palm Tungsten E and received a message, 'Fatal Alert', nmpalm._bridge.c, bla, bla, bla....The device will now be resetted (great language?) then a Reset Button appeared.

Well, my Palm is locked up, hitting the reset button does nothing, can't power off, it is hosed. Of course when I hit reset, on the back, to reset the WHOLE PALM, I will lose all my cachemate finds that I haven't logged on geocaching.com. SO MUCH FOR THIS COMPANY AND TRIAL SOFTWARE, Fool me twice, shame on me!!!!!

The Fatal Alert message can appear on the Palm for various reasons.

• Incomplete installation of SuperWaba or MapAdvisor. Some files may be missing. This is the most common problem.
  • Insufficient memory on the PDA. This is also a fairly common reason.
  • Problem with external GPS connection - Wrong cable type or usage.
  • Improper memory usage by a previous program.
  • Faulty Palm OS update in the past.
  • Generic hardware problem on device.
  • Bug in SuperWaba or MapAdvisor.

Usually, the situation can be resolved with a soft reset which is similar to a reboot operation on a PC. Rarely, in the case of hardware or memory problems, the Palm may require a hard reset. In general, it is good practice to HotSync frequently to keep data intact.

Since you didn't give us any details, it's hard to identify which one is the case. If you are willing to solve the problem, please contact us at mapadvisor@cox.net.

• MapAdvisor v2.4 GPS Edition for iQue 3200 and iQue 3600
  • MapAdvisor v2.4 GPS Edition for Palm
  • MapAdvisor v2.4 GPS Edition for Pocket PC

have been released!

New MapAdvisor 2.4 comes equipped with a built-in map manager that lets you rapidly organize and access all of your maps by directly opening, renaming, and deleting them in RAM or on a memory card.

Full feature list:

• Displays satellite (aerial) photo maps (up to 3 zoom levels)
  • Displays color topo maps (up to 3 zoom levels)
  • Displays landmarks and waypoints (geocaches, user-defined, etc.) on a map
  • Create/Save/Delete user-defined waypoints in waypoint database
  • Create/Save/Delete user-defined trackpoints in trackpoint database
  • Displays saved and imported waypoints and tracks
  • Measure distances on a map
  • Find geo coordinates on a map
  • Find landmarks and waypoints such as geocaches on a map
  • Import LOC and GPX files with geocache information via storage card
  • Import GPX files with geocache information via QuakeMap program
  • Export waypoints and tracks to GPX file on storage card
  • Displays your current location on a map in real time based on GPS data
  • Displays current coordinates, altitude, velocity, based on GPS data
  • Displays current direction (heading), distance, elapsed time based on GPS data
  • Displays how close you are to destination waypoint based on GPS data yes yes
  • Displays current growing track on a map and stores it automatically in track database
  • Customize/Save display settings and time period/distance between consecutive track points
  • Display GPS status, accuracy in vertical and horizontal position
  • Support navigation and zoom with hardware buttons
  • Use external serial GPS, CF GPS, and Bluetooth GPS (GPS Edition)
  • Use built-in iQue GPS (iQue Edition)
  • Allow to Import waypoints created by built-in iQue program (iQue Edition)
  • NEW! Built-in map file manager.
  • NEW! Open maps directly from card (Secure Digital card, Memory Stick, etc.)
  • NEW! Rename/delete maps in RAM or on card.

Check out the full list of MapAdvisor 2.4 features on our website at:

mapadvisor.com

Screenshots

Free 15 day evaluation is available via our website, PalmGear, PocketGear and Handango.

Owners of Mapadvisor 2.3 and our beta-testers can upgrade MapAdvisor for free.

mapadvisor

Edited by mapadvisor

Wornout, I didn't see your post the first time, but I have a couple of comments.

First, the reset button on the back does not remove all your data. A soft reset maintains everything in RAM. Only a hard reset, accomplished by holding the power button while you depress the reset button, and then confirming this by pushing the 'up' button when asked, will remove everything from memory. And your Palm should be backed up, just like any other computer, because it will eventually require a hard reset. I use a backup program and have my Palm backed up to my SD card every morning before I wake up. I've needed it several times. Some software doesn't play nice with other software, and usually the only way to find out is to install both of them. No developer can test against every other program out there. Sometimes the fatal exception is caused by something else, not necessarily what was running at the time. In this case, I can't say.

As for MapAdvisor, I downloaded it some time back, installed it, and took a very quick look, then had to go on a business trip, and by the time I thought about it again, the trial had expired. I deleted it and decided to pass, but it looks interesting again. Is there any chance the new version will run, or will it still detect the expired trial data? I could get rid of that with a hard reset, I suppose, but that's pretty drastic for just the chance to try some more software.

MapAdvisor v2.4 GPS Edition for Palm was updated yesterday (December 23) to fix a problem on some devices with resolutions 320x480 and 480x320 (landscape).

Practical Advice (FAQ):

Q: I have installation problems on my Palm. The program doesn't start. What do I do?

A: Some versions of HotSync cannot send several files with long and similar names to the Palm. Because Superwaba has several files with names stating with XPlat..., HotSync only sends the first file to the Palm and skips sending the rest. As a result, MapAdvisor has an incomplete set of required libraries on PDA. The workaround is to install all of the XPlat...pdb files separately. If you install just one such file at a time, it will work.

To parents:

When you choose a program for traveling, hiking, and geocaching, you often consider only how this program fits your needs.

Geocaching is one of the best games to get kids involved in the process of making decisions. For example they can actively participate in (1) travel planning (2) finding your current location and deciding where you're going, and (3) recording tracks for memory.

When using MapAdvisor, you

• obtain aerial maps by making your own maps OR ordering free maps via the MapAdvisor website.
  • use aerial maps for orientation and record a track in the field.
  • copy the track to a PC to analyze your trip and keep it for memory.

Teenagers can really participate in any of these steps and it can often be more fun for them than for you because they actually play with it.

Our observations show that kids like to find their own home on an aerial map and see how it looks from the sky. They like finding a geocache's location and finding the right map before a geocaching trip.

Today many teenagers are more familiar with PCs than their parents. If you doubt whether you can do something, give your kid a try.

In real life, it is very important to make one's own decisions and geocaching is a great way for all family members to contribute.

Happy New Year and best wishes to you and your family!

mapadvisor

www.mapadvisor.com

Screenshots

We have a stable beta version of new MapAdvisor GPS v3.0 for Palm and PocketPC which supports 8-level-zoom aerial and topo maps with easy switching between the two types.

Supported platforms now include old and new Treo smartphones with resolutions of 320x320 and 160x160.

If anyone wants to beta test MapAdvisor 3.0, please send an email to mapadvisor@cox.net.

Beta testers will receive a FREE license for MapAdvisor and FREE 8-level-zoom maps.

mapadvisor

www.mapadvisor.com

Edited by mapadvisor

Downloaded the two files (MapAdvisor & Maps), sent them to the PDA, started up MapAdvisor, received error saying to run the other program first, did so, got ERROR and had to do a hard reset on the Palm.

Then purged the programs on the Palm and also the downloads. Thanks but no thanks. This is the second time I have tried this program.

BTW, if one cannot install a program after following the read me, something is wrong. You really should make the software a little more user friendly to install or document it a little better. It is a $20 dollar program and should not be that difficult. If I am able to download OZI, SID Maps, calibrate the maps, download geocache waypoints to those maps, add tracks, create routes, upload and download to my GPS's, load non-Mapsource maps of Baja Mexico into my Garmin60cs, I should be able to install this program correctly at least once out of the last two times I tried it.

Edited by wornout

It is quite possible you do wrong just a little thing, i.e. the use of unsupported PDA or the program installation on a card instead RAM.

What you describe is the typical picture of program behavior if files are missing on PDA. Delete some files from any other programs and you'll see the same result. As we mentioned before HotSync on some computers cannot sync several files with long names. Because Superwaba has a couple files XPlat... such files sometimes missing. The solution is simple. Hotsync those files one by one.

Some people understand a new feature about the loading maps from a card like the loading of the whole program from a card. Superwaba and MapAdvisor should be installed in RAM! But the maps can be loaded from a card.

We invite people who have a trouble with installation, send e-mail to mapadvisor@cox.net and briefly describe a situation. We reply at the same day.

The important is that this will save your time.

Don't install 1-99% of MapAdvisor, install 100%.

Thanks for feedback. We will include a troubleshooting topic in readme file.

mapadvisor

• MapAdvisor v3.0 GPS Edition for iQue 3200 and iQue 3600
  • MapAdvisor v3.0 GPS Edition for Palm
  • MapAdvisor v3.0 GPS Edition for Pocket PC

have been released!

New MapAdvisor 3.0 comes with support for 8-level zoom maps which possess a huge advantage in the form of very low free RAM requirements. It is also easy to switch between viewing black/white and color aerial and color topo maps.

Full feature list:

• NEW! 8-level zoom black/white aerial and color topo maps for entire USA
  • NEW! 8-level zoom color aerial maps available for some regions of the USA
  • NEW! Extremely low free RAM requirements for 8-level zoom maps loaded from a card
  • Displays aerial and topo maps
  • Displays landmarks and waypoints (geocaches, user-defined waypoints, etc.) on a map
  • Allows to save user-defined waypoints and tracks in database
  • Evaluate distances on a map
  • Find geo coordinates on a map
  • Find waypoints such as geocaches on a map
  • Import LOC and GPX files with geocache information via storage card (SD card, Memory stick, etc.)
  • Displays your current location on a map in real time based on GPS data
  • Displays current coordinates, altitude, velocity based on GPS data
  • Displays current direction (heading), distance, elapsed time based on GPS data
  • Displays current growing track on a map and store it automatically in track database
  • Export recorded tracks as GPX files to a card for viewing on a PC using QuakeMap
  • Allow to Import waypoints created by built-in iQue program
  • Built-in map file manager
  • Use maps directly from card
  • NEW! MapManager supports new 8-level zoom maps in folders and old 2-level zoom single file maps
  • NEW! Supports separate folders for 8-level zoom maps on card for your favorite places
  • NEW! New "Select" and "SelectTile" functions to simplify zooming in selected area and deleting
  • NEW! New "FollowGPS" and "Navigate" modes to easily find other places while recording a track
  • NEW! New concept of Zoom Centers to optimize map size on a card
  • NEW! Supports hardware buttons for Navigation and ZoomIn/ZoomOut operations
  • NEW! Bigger spots on screen for navigation arrows (if you like to use a finger instead of a stylus)
  • Open/rename/delete functions for 2-level zoom maps in RAM or on card

Check out the full list of MapAdvisor 3.0 features on our website at:

mapadvisor.com

Screenshots

Owners of earlier versions of MapAdvisor and our beta-testers can upgrade MapAdvisor for free.

mapadvisor

Please notice that recently released Quakemap 3.5 includes a simple Map Wizard for the creation of 8-level-zoom maps for MapAdvisor 3.0.

Please check our updated FAQ page on the MapAdvisor website for details on using it.

Free edition Quakemap can be used to prepare 8-level-zoom maps.

==========

8-level-zoom maps can be ordered via MapAdvisor support. Check our support page.

mapadvisor

www.mapadvisor.com

Screenshots

Q:

I cannot find menu->help->registration to find my device number and get my key. Please help.

A:

If MapAdvisor is installed correctly, you need to load a map to get a screen with Menu. The are to ways how to do it.

There is an example map "pmapdata.pdb" that is installed in RAM. Start MapAdvisor, click on RAM tab, select pmapdata, and click on the button "OpenPdbMap". You will see a map on the screen. You will see Menu word on the top-left corner of the screen. Click on Menu->Help->Registration. You will see a device number. If you get message "License is expired", click on Registration button to see the same registration dialog.

2. If you have 8-level zoom maps on a card, start MapAdvisor, click on mamaps8 folder, select folder with zoom8 map and click on button "Open zoom8 map directory". The map will be loaded and you will see Menu word on the top-left corner of the screen. Click on Menu->Help->Registration. You will see a device number. If you get message "License is expired", click on Registration button to see the same registration dialog.

Send "device" number to mapadvisor@cox.net to get a permanent license if you purchased a program.

mapadvisor

Screenshots

Let me know if you need an IrDA tester...I am working on an IrDA link between my Palm and GPS...hope to have it running soon.

*Also, it would be nice to have support for Garmin .img map files. Currently, I do not know of any PDA apps that support this.