FREE eval MapAdvisor PDA software for geocachers

Guys,

Free eval (60 days) MapAdvisor program is available at http://www.earthquakemap.com/pda

We are not selling this program yet. This is beta version. I think it will be fun to try it for people who have the appropriate PDA.

Idea in getting data on PDA is simple:

1. maps

TerraServer->QuakeMap program on PC -> MapAdvisor program on Palm PDA

2. tracks

GPS->QuakeMap program on PC -> MapAdvisor program on Palm PDA

3. user-defined waypoints

directly enter into MapAdvisor

4. geocaches

import geocache files into QuakeMap->send data to PDA

You can use QuakeMap free edition (see http://www.earthquakemap.com) to bring data to MapAdvisor on PDA.

What can MapAdvisor do?

1. displays your aerial/topo maps (Zoom in/out views)

2. displays landmarks on a map

3. displays waypoints on a map (geocaches, user-defined waypoints, etc.)

4. show description of waypoints and landmarks

5. display tracks

6. evaluate distances on a map

7. find geo coordinates on a map

See more information on http://www.earthquakemap.com/pda

MapAdvisor program for PDA is new. I'll be happy to hear any opinions about it.

We are working on PocketPC version too. It is coming very soon after support Palm 5.x. So MapAdvisor will support both PDA, Palm and PocketPC.

quote:
Originally posted by Team Lightfoot:

quote:
It might be worth mentioning that the link takes you to a PalmOS-only application.

You mean there is another OS for PDA's? icon_biggrin.gif

Like we promised above MapAdvisor Pocket PC edition is ready for alpha testing.

It supports Pocket PC with resolution 240x320, color display.

We will do packaging tomorrow. You can get a MapAdvisor,Pocket PC edition, if you send a request to mapadvisor@cox.net

In a week we plan to put PocketPC version of MapAdvisor for beta testing on website www.quakemap.com/pda

We also continue alpha testing MapAdvisor on Palm 5.x. We plan to put MapAdvisor Palm5.xfor beta testing on website in couple days.

We did not published MapAdvisor PocketPC edition because today new version of Superwaba 4.01 becomes available. For this reason we decide first to update MapAdvisor v.2.01 for Palm OS 4.x on website to include new Superwaba version.

We plan to publish PocketPC edition tomorrow after testing with new Superwaba.

Pocket PC edition of MapAdvisor is on website www.quakemap.com/pda.

This is FREE evaluation version for WindowsCE and PocketPC with color display and resolution 240x320. The edition for the other possible resolutions is coming.

If you cannot find your CPU type in a list during installation, please send e-mail with device type to mapadvisor@cox.net. I'll tell you what to use. I.e. for iPaq 3640,3650 use CPU type ARM, etc.

Pocket PC edition of MapAdvisor was updated on website http://www.quakemap.com/pda to simplify installation process. Now user needs 1 click to do installation Superwaba and 1 more click to install MapAdvisor itself. Installation program will automatically recognize CPU type on Pocket PC. Downloadable file has detail instructions what you can do with this program.

Because it is easy to install now, I hope some of people can enjoi a program this weekend.

This is FREE...

You can import GPX files via QuakeMap.

Enjoi and let me know if any problems.

If you have opinion how this program looks like in comparison with the rest GPS soft, please let us know. It will help us to improve our stuff.

Not being the brightest bulb, I figured I would come in here and ask this question. I am sure I am missing something really silly which will answer my question. I am very curious to try quakemap and the palm part of the program, so i downloaded the "free" version of quakemap. I interpreted the website to mean that, there were two versions of the program. A free version that lacked some extra, sophisticated functionality and a paid for program that had all the bells and whistles. Well, after using quakemap free program for a few days, i noticed the program began to block out parts of the map, and these blocked out sections of the map had a "register" nag in them. Now, correct me if i am wrong here, but bare with me for a second. The "free" version looses its main functionality (e.g. display of maps) after time if you don't register or did i download the wrong version. I could really use some guidance this. I would figure that the "free" version would be usable in a "basic" form for free, but this is not usable in its basic form for free very long. Thanks again for any help.

danny

SR and dboggny.

SMLlogo.gif

There is only one version of QuakeMap, which can be unlocked with a License Key ($9.99 on-line purchase). The list of features being unlocked and the behavior of the program after the 20-day evaluation period are described in the Support section of quakemap.com web site. The basic functionality (every aspect of using GPS, working with tracks/routes/waypoints, seeing relief maps, viewing earthquakes, using PDA) is available after 20 days, there is no time limit there. I hope this answers your question.

Thank you for trying QuakeMap,

http://www.quakemap.com - redefining Easy...

After 20 days it starts to display the "spoiler" information on the aerial/topo maps and on the printouts (the shaded squares will turn darker with time, but will not cover more of the screen (from the support section of quakemap)

So then, obviously, the "free" program is not "free". seems like you need a lesson in comprehension of language or a class about truth in advertising.

SR and dboggny.

SMLlogo.gif

[This message was edited by sranddboggny.us on September 19, 2003 at 08:14 PM.]

I want to clarify that even when some tiles are covered in QuakeMap, 100% complete frames with all visible tiles can still be transferred to MapAdvisor.

That is precisely what I meant when I said "you can use free edition of QuakeMap to transfer images to PDA" when I started this topic.

Use QuakeMap frames as a reference to the area you want to see on PDA. You will see the whole area on PDA.

Folks,

I have a bad news and good news for people who is trying MapAdvisor:

1. Bad news

We found that MapAdvisor displays an error during open/delete db on some Pocket PCs.

There is a bug in Superwaba VM that courses this MapAdvisor error. Superwaba folks will send update on October, 1.

Until then you can use work around: transfer from QuakeMap data file only with name "pmapdata.pdb". This pdb will be opened when MapAdvisor starts. Please temporary do not use menu functions Open/delete db.

We will fix it when we get update from Superwaba.

2. Good news

We have now a stable version on Palm 5.2.1 for iQue 3600 devices. Tomorrow I will put it on website.

My advice to everyone would be to steer clear of this software and of Quakemap. Companies that release software with misleading promises (free trial), spam the forums, and require other non-free programs to function tend to be snake-oil outfits. I'm quite picky about the software I put on my computer, since once you install it it can do anything, and I'd advise you to be, also.

And I get a really, really bad feeling about MapAdviser and Quakemap.

fizzymagic,

Let's cool down a little bit and consider how and what I am talking in this topic. Maybe I am wrong but that is what I am thinking.

I think there is a common practice today for very big and small companies to ask kind people for help in beta testing.

There are many forums around world where beta testing is discussing a lot.

I hope many people here are really interested in new software. In fact this forum is about it, about software.

I am trying to keep alive just ONE topic about new MapAdvisor. And I guess this is quite appropriate in forum about software. Am I wrong?

I understand a word "spam" as sending the information about your product to many, many topics to sell it.

I am not selling MapAdvisor, I giving it for free for beta testing. This is should be clear!

If I implement word "release" on website, it means I put it there. Nothing more.

Real release will be later in 2 months. We will sell it later. Today it is free for beta testing. I am giving also free license keys to some beta testers who really provide valuable feedback.

If you are not sure or you are not feel strong about Palm or PocketPC, do not try any beta. I guess everybody understand this. But don't forget that many guys like to test something for fun. You like coffee, I like beer...

BTW, our experience shows that the most dangerous thing that can happen on Palm during our beta testing is a soft reset. So you do soft reset and PDA is recovered. Soft is not hard...

Please don't blame us for some words, because if you worked 20/7 last months, sometimes you can make mistakes in messages.

If you have a problem with MapAdvisor, ask me, I will be more than happy to help.

----

Common guys, we have great country where people can talk. Shut up was very popular 100y ago...

Correct me, if I am wrong.

Folks,

The following is important ONLY for MapAdvisor Pocket PC edition:

I found a solution and fixed a bug about open/delete pdb via File menu. Updated version of MapAdvisor Pocket PC edition is ready for beta testing on website. With updated version you can use any file names. This MapAdvisor version also includes the latest version of Superwaba 402.

Palm editions had no this problem.

quote:
Originally posted by mapadvisor:

fizzymagic,

Let's cool down a little bit and consider how and what I am talking in this topic. Maybe I am wrong but that is what I am thinking.

what you are thinking and what you are advertising are two different things. What i am thinking is telling people the truth. The truth shall set you free. am i wrong?

quote:
I think there is a common practice today for very big and small companies to ask kind people for help in beta testing.

true

quote:

There are many forums around world where beta testing is discussing a lot.

does that mean that when you start selling you will stop talking?

quote:

I hope many people here are really interested in new software. In fact this forum is about it, about software.

I am trying to keep alive just ONE topic about new MapAdvisor. And I guess this is quite appropriate in forum about software. Am I wrong?

It is appropriate for the people that use it to talk about it, not the guy selling it to constantly talk about it. start your own forum for that.

quote:

I am not selling MapAdvisor, I giving it for free for beta testing. This is should be clear!

you are giving a FREE 60 DAY EVALUATION, and the associated software, quakemap is not being given away. so what? then what?

quote:

Real release will be later in 2 months. We will sell it later. Today it is free for beta testing. I am giving also free license keys to some beta testers who really provide valuable feedback.

how can i test it and know things are working correctly when quakemap blocks out map sections? am i wrong?

quote:

You like coffee, I like beer...

you should really stop caffine and alchohol, it makes you incoherent.

quote:
Soft is not hard...

who are you? yogi bera?

quote:

Please don't blame us for some words, because if you worked 20/7 last months, sometimes you can make mistakes in messages.

yes, but there is something called truth in advertising. i believe you have been less then truthfull in what you say on the website or you just can't express your ideas properly. in either case, you are responsible.

quote:

If you have a problem with MapAdvisor, ask me, I will be more than happy to help.

i am afraid to, i might get an answer like this, which i can barely understand.

quote:
Shut up was very popular 100y ago...

Correct me, if I am wrong.

no, its still very popular.

SR and dboggny.

SMLlogo.gif

I see that you did not read my previous message about sending 100% map data from QuakeMap to MapAdvisor.

You can definitely select a frame on QuakeMap in spite of hiding some tiles there after 20 days QuakeMap evaluation.

When you select a frame and send it, then ALL TILES INCLUDING HIDDEN WILL GO TO MapAdvisor.

So on MapAdvisor you will see 100% whole image.

If you cannot select a frame for some reasons just because it has couple black tiles, you can open the same place again and hidden tiles will be in different positions. Many peoples can handle this pretty good.

===

Don't forget that many people already have QuakeMap and they are also very interested how to use PDA. So I am giving updates about MapAdvisor for them too.

===

BTW thank you for reply, because I see better

which parts of information must be more clear.

===

I saw many other topics on this forum about other interesting programs. So what is the problem to have ONE topic about MapAdvisor?

===

I need this forum now ONLY to share bug fix progress, new editions progress. And I am getting very good technical feedback via e-mail after publishing here this progress reports. For this reason I think having this forum is a very nice opportunity for all developers.

===

I would like to see mostly technical talking in this topic, so any problems, tech suggestions, questions, welcome...

Fer crying out loud, one thread in a SOFTWARE forum is spamming?

Actually, no, now that I think about it, this looks more like the work of a professional troll.

If I had a handheld, I would love to beta test your software - I don't though. icon_frown.gif

Just ingnore the doofs and keep talking about your software.

BTW, it seems they are implying QuakeMap & MapAdvisor and being created by the same group. For the sake of shutting them up (not likely) could you clarify this?

Thanks, and good luck.

---------------------

16x16_smiley-mad.gif Don't hurt me. I'm new here.

Mapadvisor,

After visiting both referenced sites, it appears that your offer is only for new generation Palm os..that is just the newer Tungestin and Clie.

Is that correct or am I missing something in your offer that would work for previous (4.x) models?

tjej icon_confused.gif

We support color divices with 320x320, 320x480 for Palm 4.x, 5.x and 240x320 for PocketPC.

My Sony Clie 615 with color display and 33Mhz CPU is already old (Sony switched to new devices) but still working very good for MapAdvisor.

My Compaq PocketPC 3640 is also old, but works good for MapAdvisor too.

So now I am using iQue 3600...

Market changes dramatically fast. We do not support very old models for 3 reasons.Usually they have 1. slow CPU 2. low resolution. 3. maybe they will be gone in 1 year.

This is not first priority for us to make support older devices this month. Maybe later we can take a look.

What is exactly your model? Is it color device with 4.x ?

If you like to do experiments you can try to setup MapAdvisor Palm edition 4.x for color display on your gray scale device. It is not dangerous. If you will see a black screen on first load (with default data), it means we need to do something coding here to make it works. However there is possibility that everything will work. One my emulator shows the appropriate color mapping to gray scale, another simulator shows a black screen. There is no principal problem to make it work on gray devices. There is only time factor. I hope I will help people with gray PDAs later.

Last time I told that there is a possibility that color edition of MapAdvisor will work on gray scale devices with Palm OS 4.x.

Today I got some feedback about it. Based on test results I think people with gray screen should wait until we find time to make available special gray scale version instead of trying a color edition on gray screen devices.

Just to remind you, all versions on our website have a color display as prerequisite. Trying it on gray scale device was only a test.

Thanks for help in testing.

If somebody keeps trying MapAdvisor on monochrome (gray screen) devices, be sure you have resolution 320x320. For example SONY PEG SL-10 or SONY PEG SL-20 with screen resolution 320x320 maybe will work. Palm monochrome devices have low resolution 160x160. Don't try it, tests show it will not work. We will take care about low resolution devices later.

New build MapAdvisor for Palm 5.x has been published on website www.quakemap.com/pda This build should solve known problem on Zire 7.1 device during operation Zoom out (FrameView) in MapAdvisor.

If somebody has a problem with zoom out (or any other problems) please send me (mapadvisor@cox.net) Superwaba Debug Console output from your MemoPad on Palm or from folder MapAdvisor on PocketPC. It helps me quickly fix your problems.

Steve,

Please describe exactly which Sony you have (color or gray model) and what you tried to do.

I did not get bad news about any color Sony with resolution 320x320 or 320x480.

You can always do installation step by step.

Be sure you have a color device with resolution 320x320 or 320x480 (Palm) or 240x320 PocketPC.

Before installing Superwaba and MapAdvisor check available memory on device. If free memory is less than 2mb, do not install programs.

First try to install Superwaba. On Palm use HotSync to send ALL pdb and prc to device. After sync operation you will see icon Superwaba on device. Click on icon and Superwaba dialog will popup. If you see Superwaba dialog, it means Superwaba installed correctly.

Now you can install MapAdvisor. Send ALL pdb and prc to device the same way. After sync, you will see MapAdvisor icon.

Troubles mostly happen for 2 reasons:

1. People do no check prerequisites: display's colors, resolution and how much FREE memory on device. I.e., if you have 16Mb in total, it does not mean you have free available 2Mb.

2. Sometimes you forget to send some pdb or prc to device.

I hope it helps. Let me know how each step above works on your device.

If you think you installed everything correctly and MapAdvisor cannot start for some reason, then do the following. Do sync. Copy Superwaba DebugConsole info from Memo on your PC PalmDesktop program and send it to mapadvisor@cox.net I will analyze it and help you ASAP. Do not forget to describe your device model.

I am pretty comfortable about color Sony devices.

If you tested a monochrome (gray) Sony with resolution 320x320, let's make them work too.

MapAdvisor was updated on website http://www.quakemap.com/pda

This version MapAdvisor includes 2 new features:

Two new options for browsing mode on Pocket PC. If you have more than 1 Mb free memory, the program gives you two different loading options, "slow loading, fast browsing" and "fast loading, slow browsing". The first option allows for very fast browsing of the map but takes more time to open the pdb. The second option opens the pdb quickly but takes more time to load images when you are browsing the map. If any tiles become blank while using the first option, you should instead use the "fast loading, slow browsing" option.

There is a refresh button ("R") in the top right of the screen. This button is useful on Pocket PC. If you switch from MapAdvisor to another program and later switch back, the screen may become blank in which case you should click refresh button.

Please, send comments and/or questions to mapadvisor@cox.net

Good news: MapAdvisor has own web site www.mapadvisor.com. Site has been totally updated.

Old link via www.quakemap.com/pda is also available.

For people who want to get a local map file for MapAdvisor we have a NEW SERVICE:

you can order for FREE MapAdvisor map file via e-mail, if you know your geo coordinates.

For example you want to go for geocache on weekend. Find geocache coordinates from Groundspeak.com and send us by e-mail. You will be instructed how to download map file for MapAdvisor in 24h.

Feedback, questions -> mapadvisor@cox.net

Next week a couple power features will be included in MapAdvisor:

1. easy GPS data management

2. track management

mapadvisor

Even thought its YAPA I like the screen shots. The dots are too large though. Can you shrink them? Does it inport MS S&T pushpin files for the dots? (Inporting a GPX file would work too)

You did say a PocketPC version was coming out? Ok found it downloaded it then read I had to have Quakemap to import a GPX file and topos.

I have NGS for topo on my PDA but it can't handle waypoints.

All in all two programs for one function seems cumbersome. Will this be addressed?

Edited by Renegade Knight

We can provide 2 solutions:

1. We can make import GPX via ActiveSync for PocketPC. Need some coding here for MapAdvisor. We already discussed this in company. Will do it this month.

2. Send us e-mail with (1) geo coordinates (2)your GPX as attachment.

You will get map file for MapAdvsior with waypoints plus geo caches info.

MapAdvisor 2.0.1 has been released.

Final feature set:

1. displays your aerial and topo maps

2. displays landmarks on a map

3. displays waypoints on a map (geocaches, user-defined waypoints, etc.)

4. displays a description of waypoints and landmarks

5. allows to save user-defined waypoints in waypoint database

6. allows to save user-defined trackpoints in trackpoint database

7. displays saved waypoints and tracks

8. evaluate distances on a map

9. find geo coordinates on a map

10. find waypoints such as geocaches on a map

11. import GPX files with geocache information via storage card (Secured Digital card, Memory stick, etc.)

12. import GPX files with geocache information via QuakeMap program

The most important last added feature is importing GPX files via storage card (Secured Digital Card, Memory Stick, etc.). Importing GPX files allows you to get complete information about a geocache, including short/long descriptions and logs.

A cool feature added recently is accurately placing trackpoints based on GPS information without typing coordinates to show your current location on the map.

Our FAQ at http://www.mapadvisor.com was also updated to include descriptions of the new features.

Purchasing and trial download is available at Handango.com for MapAdvisor for Palm and MapAdvisor for PocketPC. See the MapAdvisor website for details.

I downloaded both Mapadvisor and Quakemap (free) some time ago, but have not had time to utilize them. Now with your notice, I attempted and, of course, can not use Quake map because there are blank cells all over demanding registration. I just tried to update Quakemap (at the prompt to do so) and I still have many blank cells everywhere,,unuseable. I fear that Mapadvisor will generate the same mess on my PDA and so hesitate to install it. Short of coughing up your fees...any suggestions.