what should I do

Guest hoyt

I have had a Garmin GPS II for about 3 years but only started to use it about a week ago. I have had a problem with my unit just turnig off for no reason. When this happens it will erase all of my memory. I thought it was the batteries so I changed them, but this did not fix the problem. Also when I changed the batteries it erased all of my memory. Most of the time I go to turn the unit on and nothing happens, just the light will turn on, or a black screen will apear. Since I have had it for a while it is no longer under warranty, and Garmin will charge me about a hundred bucks to fix it and that does not include shipping. should I cut my losses and take the hundred dollars and put it towards a new unit or should I have it fixed. The unit has the compass, and moving map features wich I like. Im not really into the downloading maps into them, but I have never tried it. So I quess Im asking for help on what I should do, if I should buy a new one, get mine fixed. Also I need a review for the current gps that are out on the market. I use it for the geocaching game and for marking hunting, hiking and other locations. Please help Im in a bind My email is dhuntsman@metalcraft.net fell free to email me with any suggestions

Guest Quinnow

Actually I think I might know what your problem is. How old is your unit?

it comes with an Internal memory Battery that should last for 10 years, but there have been some that have lasted only a few (defective) this seems like it would be the problem as far as losing all data you had stored. But also there is a shim kit that is made for the Battery compartment which fixes a problem of the unit shutting down due to a jolt or sudden fast movemnet of the unit.

I would say to contact Garmin tech on this issue and see what they have to say. The Garmin site is very Informative and might answer you question without having to speak with them. But even so, I would say the unit is worth fixing anyways. icon_smile.gif

------------------

Quinn Stone

Rochester, NY.14616

www.Navicache.com

Guest Quinnow

Actually I think I might know what your problem is. How old is your unit?

it comes with an Internal memory Battery that should last for 10 years, but there have been some that have lasted only a few (defective) this seems like it would be the problem as far as losing all data you had stored. But also there is a shim kit that is made for the Battery compartment which fixes a problem of the unit shutting down due to a jolt or sudden fast movemnet of the unit.

I would say to contact Garmin tech on this issue and see what they have to say. The Garmin site is very Informative and might answer you question without having to speak with them. But even so, I would say the unit is worth fixing anyways. icon_smile.gif

------------------

Quinn Stone

Rochester, NY.14616

www.Navicache.com

my unit was new in 98. I like the moving map screen, and it also has the compass. What im worried about is that now that im getting into the use of my unit heavily is my unit outdated.

Guest Quinnow

By the way...you can always fix it for 100.00 and then sell it on e-bay for more. Then use that towards a new garmin.

I own both the garmin IIIPlus and the new Garmin Vista. Both are great units and if you look in the gps section of this forum you will see I did a write-up comparing both units feature to feature. But if you decide to go with either of the ones I have mentioned, you can't go wrong. they are both top shelf if you ask me. you can find the IIIPlus for around 279.00 if you look well, and the Vista for around 300.00 , A nice feature on the Vista is the WAAS and the Compass. But there are several things I could sit and write about all day on this Unit. Just check out the other thread for more details! There are many great places to buy a gps, but I have found www.advancedgps.com to be one of the better places. But check around first and be sure you get the prices you want and expect to pay.

good Luck in your choices! icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

------------------

Quinn Stone

Rochester, NY.14616

www.Navicache.com

Guest Quinnow

By the way...you can always fix it for 100.00 and then sell it on e-bay for more. Then use that towards a new garmin.

I own both the garmin IIIPlus and the new Garmin Vista. Both are great units and if you look in the gps section of this forum you will see I did a write-up comparing both units feature to feature. But if you decide to go with either of the ones I have mentioned, you can't go wrong. they are both top shelf if you ask me. you can find the IIIPlus for around 279.00 if you look well, and the Vista for around 300.00 , A nice feature on the Vista is the WAAS and the Compass. But there are several things I could sit and write about all day on this Unit. Just check out the other thread for more details! There are many great places to buy a gps, but I have found www.advancedgps.com to be one of the better places. But check around first and be sure you get the prices you want and expect to pay.

good Luck in your choices! icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

------------------

Quinn Stone

Rochester, NY.14616

www.Navicache.com

Guest Quinnow

quote:
Originally posted by hoyt:

What im worried about is that now that im getting into the use of my unit heavily is my unit outdated.

For geocaching by no means is that unit outdated. But I am not one to sit and preach on it as I don't own one. Though I have heard about them and several good things at that.

------------------

Quinn Stone

Rochester, NY.14616

www.Navicache.com

Guest Anton

Greetings,

No, your unit is not outdated. Remember, GPS receivers don't find caches; people find caches. YOU are the search engine!

There are probably some hardcore hikers and orienteering folks out there who could find a geocache with a compass, a topo map, and the clues posted on this website.

Anton

------------------

Anton Ninno, N2RUD

Syracuse, NY 13210