Strange GPS reading

ZoomZoom

I went quadding yesterday and it must have been a bad day for reception even though it was a clear day. I live on Vancouver Island and when we stopped at this lookout point, I waited for my gpsr to get a lock on the signals. This was in an open area but anyway once I got a lock after many minutes, apparently we were in the Northwest Territories, (Kaminak lake).

Now that's like 1500+ km away. What gives? Was I being jammed somehow or could it be a software problem? Anybody else have this happen to them.

I'm using a Magellan SportTrak Map.

Woah...that's weird. I have a Sport Trac Map as well and was going to do some geocaching yesterday as well and couldn't get a decent signal. It was a crystal clear day and I was picking up a weak signal from 1 satelite. I finally gave up. Went today and had a minimum of 7-8 satelites with strong signals. I was wondering what was going on??? By the way, I'm in central Texas.

You get these kind of readings now and then. Considering all the complex mathematics involved in receiving and precisely ranging signals which are so weak, that they are below the surrounding noise level, it's more bizzare that it ever works than that it occasionally fails.

There is nothing wrong with your unit. It happens to everyone, providing they use their unit enough.

Anders

Even though the system is good it's not 100% perfect (not much is, especially measurement type systems) as there are user and system issues that are basically un-controllable.

One of the reasons why system specs are based on stats and relative to a certain %, as in the most common referenced 95% of the time etc. There are specs based even at the 99% (and 99.99%) but there's no 100%

Cheers, Kerry.

I never get lost icon_smile.gif everybody keeps telling me where to go icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Anders:

Well, I wrote that it happens to everybody, "providing they use their unit enough".

If they do, they are bound to meet the hoovering thing now and then... icon_biggrin.gif

Anders

Let's see ... Anders must obviously be aware that "Hoover" was the original serbocroation noun meaning "vacuum cleaner." (It's true.)