Will Garmin replace a scratched screen?

snarfblat

My eTrex Vista's screen has a bunch of small scratches on it, from being wiped off repeatedly due to gathering dust while ATV riding. It's very hard to read as a result.

Has anybody gotten Garmin to replace the clear plastic cover on the screen? I haven't tried calling their tech line yet about it; I thought I'd ask here first. I'm wondering if they can just send me a new part (whether it's just the clear part, or the top case, or what), or if I'd have to send it in?

In other news, I just got my new GPSMap76S, and it's WAY COOL. It's much larger than the Vista, which I'll keep around for hiking, but dang is this thing slick. It's the ultimate GPS for using on an ATV. I got the 12v cord so I don't have to worry about batteries anymore, and I can now run the backlight at night without worry.

Rob

quote:
Originally posted by RobG:

My eTrex Vista's screen has a bunch of small scratches on it, from being wiped off repeatedly due to gathering dust while ATV riding. It's very hard to read as a result.

I use (read cut down to size) PDA screen protectors that adhere with removable adhesive to the GPS. The sheets are disposable and inexpensive. They take the abuse and are discarded once they wear. Works Great! icon_biggrin.gif

"Never have a philosophy which supports a lack of courage..."49061_400.gif

quote:

I use (read cut down to size) PDA screen protectors that adhere with removable adhesive to the GPS. The sheets are disposable and inexpensive. They take the abuse and are discarded once they wear. Works Great! icon_biggrin.gif

"Never have a philosophy which supports a lack of courage..."49061_400.gif

No, Garmin will not replace this as a warranty repair. There's no reason that they should. But that's not really the question you asked.

To answer your question. Yes, Garmin will replace the case of your Vista. If you shell out the $125 flat fee that Garmin charges for any and all repairs of the Vista unit then you can get a completely refurbished unit. That does entail sending it in and being without it for about 2 weeks. It may be cheaper and easier to try one of the various plastic polishes like Meguire's sells.

I'm not lost!

I just don't know where I am.

quote:

Thanks for the info... for $125 I'll live with the scratches and do as you suggested -- try glass polishes.

Thanks!

Rob

Maybe what you need is:

My previous career in the military put me in contact with plastic scratch problems from time to time. The Army had a very nice kit for polishing cockpit canopies etc. It consisted of various very fine grits of sand paper, up to 8000 grit, and some chemicals to assist polishing. I have never seen this available to the civilian market, but I have never really looked.

On the other hand:

My current carreer in the power industry finds me using a product called NOVUS PLASTIC POLISH. It comes in three bottles. Number 3 is used for bad scratches. Number two is for use after number three, or on fine scratches. Number one is for a final polish job. Or go HERE to visit the web site.

I do not know price or avilibility, and I have no monitary interest in NOVUS. Just a satisfied user.

icon_biggrin.gif

Mike. KD9KC.

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

quote:

Thanks for the info... for $125 I'll live with the scratches and do as you suggested -- try glass polishes.

Thanks!

Rob

Maybe what you need is:

My previous career in the military put me in contact with plastic scratch problems from time to time. The Army had a very nice kit for polishing cockpit canopies etc. It consisted of various very fine grits of sand paper, up to 8000 grit, and some chemicals to assist polishing. I have never seen this available to the civilian market, but I have never really looked.

On the other hand:

My current carreer in the power industry finds me using a product called NOVUS PLASTIC POLISH. It comes in three bottles. Number 3 is used for bad scratches. Number two is for use after number three, or on fine scratches. Number one is for a final polish job. Or go HERE to visit the web site.

I do not know price or avilibility, and I have no monitary interest in NOVUS. Just a satisfied user.

icon_biggrin.gif

Mike. KD9KC.

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

quote:
Originally posted by KD9KC:

My current carreer in the power industry finds me using a product called _NOVUS PLASTIC POLISH._ It comes in three bottles. Number 3 is used for bad scratches. Number two is for use after number three, or on fine scratches. Number one is for a final polish job. Or go http://www.novuspolish.com/ to visit the web site.

I had trouble with that site (I'm not Flash friendly), but a quick search on Google turned up this site which has pricing and ordering information. It's not cheap stuff, but it's much less expensive than the Garmin option. icon_smile.gif

I'm not lost!

quote:
Originally posted by KD9KC:

My current carreer in the power industry finds me using a product called _NOVUS PLASTIC POLISH._ It comes in three bottles. Number 3 is used for bad scratches. Number two is for use after number three, or on fine scratches. Number one is for a final polish job. Or go http://www.novuspolish.com/ to visit the web site.

I had trouble with that site (I'm not Flash friendly), but a quick search on Google turned up this site which has pricing and ordering information. It's not cheap stuff, but it's much less expensive than the Garmin option. icon_smile.gif

I'm not lost!

The Novus stuff works great. been using it on motorcycle windshields for years. problem is if the scratches are real bad. Then u have to go with something a little harsher like Simichrome. It will fog your screen at first as it is a pretty good abrasive. Then you have to use the progressively less abrasive grades of Novus to get it back to clear. Takes alot of elbow grease.

You could also try using the polish with a cloth buffing wheel or a pad on a drill. It will work much faster but be sure not to over heat the plastic with friction. We used to polish laser discs this way when I worked on video games. icon_wink.gif

The Novus stuff works great. been using it on motorcycle windshields for years. problem is if the scratches are real bad. Then u have to go with something a little harsher like Simichrome. It will fog your screen at first as it is a pretty good abrasive. Then you have to use the progressively less abrasive grades of Novus to get it back to clear. Takes alot of elbow grease.

You could also try using the polish with a cloth buffing wheel or a pad on a drill. It will work much faster but be sure not to over heat the plastic with friction. We used to polish laser discs this way when I worked on video games. icon_wink.gif

One trick I learned with motorcycle faceshields is to polish the scratches with toothpaste. Not some fancy gel with stripes and extra whitening, just plain old toothpaste. It's an extremely fine abrasive, and much cheaper and readily available then the other products mentioned. Doesn't work on really deep scratches, but then again, if they ARE that deep and you succeed in polishing them out, the screen will probably be too wavy and distorted to use anyway.

Illegitimus non carborundum!