GPS 12Xl Question

Guest Haps

I just recently got a 12xl second hand. The problem I assume is the software version. The version is 2.02. The 12XL is supposed to have wayupoint symbols as well as more trip features(max spped, avg speed etc).

I assume that the reason my doesn't is because of the software version. On garmin's site they have software updates for my unit but I don't see one that brings a 2.02 up to 3.53 or whatever.

I don't want to just try it because if I'm wrong no more GPS.

That is correct that the software can not be updated. It would require a hardware change.

You could send it to Garmin and pay for the upgrade I think they can do that.

I have the older 12XL but I still love this GPS just the way it is. It's very accurate and locks like there is no tomorrow.

I called Garmin and they will upgrade the hardware for $100.

The GPS is adequate. Much better then the GPS38 I had. I bought it second hand and was looking forward to having the basemap and Waypoint icon features. Then I get the GPS and discover it has older hardware.

Guest Team JackQuest

I ran into the same issue a while back, pre-internet access days (there was no upgrade for my version). I paid the 100 bucks and basically got a "new" unit complete with carrying case and manual. I'll assume it was a factory reconditioned but now I keep up-to-date on all the software upgrades via the garmin site. So far so good.

------------------

TEAM JackQuest

Jack & Cyber

www.jackquest.com

Base Camp N 40° 20.268' W 75° 37.969' (WGS84)