Nother Newbie question.

iweb

Santa brought me a new Platinum and I have read the manuel 4 or 5 times and I have been all over the internet but my first question is this: How and where in the heck do I enter Coordinates to go find my first cache? Which ones are best to enter? Do I just leave a blank where the degree symbol is? Do I need to have the gps unit set for whatever type of coordinate system I type in?

THANKS.

How come you got to open your presents early?

quote:
Originally posted by iweb:

Santa brought me a new Platinum and I have read the manuel 4 or 5 times and I have been all over the internet but my first question is this: How and where in the heck do I enter Coordinates to go find my first cache? Which ones are best to enter? Do I just leave a blank where the degree symbol is? Do I need to have the gps unit set for whatever type of coordinate system I type in?

THANKS.

Santa brought me a new Platinum and I have read the manuel 4 or 5 times and I have been all over the internet but my first question is this: How and where in the heck do I enter Coordinates to go find my first cache?

>Try looking the manual under "entering a coord"

Which ones are best to enter?

>Depends what cache(s) you want to seek for.

Do I just leave a blank where the degree symbol is?

>No, there shouldnt be any blanks.

Do I need to have the gps unit set for whatever type of coordinate system I type in?

>Yes, you probly want to set your unit datum: WGS-84 Position Format: hddd.mm.mmm

You can use just about any datum/format but since the cache pages use wgs84/hddd.mm.mmm its easier when entering by hand.

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

You got a Platinum for Christmas? YOu must have been VERY good this year.

I've got a MeriGreen, but the process should be similar, so here goes...

Turn on the GPS and let it get a fix of your location. You can do it without getting a fix, but the GPS will give you an extra message.

Once you have a fix, press and hold the GOTO button. A waypoint screen will open. Use the up/down/left/right arrows to highlght the field that you want to change and press ENTER. You might change the NAME field from WPT001 to something that makes more sense to you. You might also want to change the icon.

Highlight the location field and press ENTER. Then use the arrows to increase/decrease each digit of the coords to match those on the cache page. Use the left/right arrows to advance to the next digit. Don't worry about the altitude field.

Highlight the SAVE field and press ENTER. You have now saved those coordinates under that name.

To GOTO those coords press GOTO, select USER and press ENTER. Highlight the name of the location you just entered (like WPT001), and press ENTER.

Then press NAV to choose whichever screen you prefer to direct you to the cache. I prefer the map screen to get me in the area, and then the compass screen to direct me to the cache.

Hope this helps.

geospotter

The only thing I'd add to geospotter's excellent instructions is that, at least for the SporTrak Pro, you don't need to enter the degree sign. It's just sort of there, and when I enter the numbers, my cursor automatically skips over it.

The best way to figure it out is to play with it. As you get more expertise, you can always remove the strange data you've entered. icon_wink.gif

Shannah

geospotter, woohoo, found my first cache! Your info was perfect and worked like a charm. Why can't Magellan put that kind of info in the book instead of being so vague? In fact have you thought of writing a book? I would sure buy it.

Welch, what page would "entering a coord" be on? I just read through the book twice and still don't see it.

Thanks all, I need to go find another!!!!!!!

Ummm....everything in geospotter's message is in the users guide. It is located on the CD-ROM. May I suggest you print it out (I did)? That way you will have it handy for reference. Happy hunting!

quote:

geospotter, woohoo, found my first cache! Your info was perfect and worked like a charm. Why can't Magellan put that kind of info in the book instead of being so vague? In fact have you thought of writing a book? I would sure buy it.

Welch, what page would "entering a coord" be on? I just read through the book twice and still don't see it.

Thanks all, I need to go find another!!!!!!!

Imagine life in a cacheless society!

I must be either blind or dumb or both. I did print the manual and I have read it at least 5 times cover to cover and I do not see the info that geospotter posted nor do I see entering coord anyplace. Maybe if you know what you are doing and pick and choose the info from all over the manual it might be there but if I knew how to do that I wouldn't be posting as a newbie. I do appreciat the help and I will look at easygps too.

Iweb~/geospotter~

Like you as a newbie I was also very confused by the page 12,13,14,15,16 prints out of the Meri/Plat instruction CD. The Instructions of Mr.Geospotter were very clear and not 5 pages of gobble goop!....Thanks MR. GEOSPOTTER for your help, icon_cool.gif I was about to give up on this most important use of the GPS and I am still at a loss as to the poor quality of written instructions that come with such a sophisticated machine.

Please if you have any more tips I am sure that most of us with new Christmas presents would benefit from your experienced instructions. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

quote:

It wasn't easy to find, if you don't know the terminology: The instructions in the manual are on page 47 under the heading "Creating New Waypoint Manually"

Stick with the instructions you got here...

ApK