How to get MapSource to recognize my etrex Legend?

If the USB-Serial adapter works with other hardware/software then at least you know it's not that. I tried a few different connectors before this one would work. I think it was the drivers in most cases. Anyway, in Mapsource try the various ports (1 through 4 or possibly up to 9 I think) and see which works. If you check your hardware settings in System in Windows you should see what port the USB adapter is using.

Ok, so I checked and it's COM1. I go to the "upload from GPS" option and try the "autodetect" and it just sits there and sits there and doesn't do anything. I then went to the GPS tab on the main page and tried to "Start Tracking" and it tells me the device is not ready. I have tried the GPS on both "Garmin" mode and NMEAin/NMEAout mode and no luck. Anyboy? Thanks for the help!

You could look at the settings in the software that works and set MapSource to the same. The COM port my USB to Serial uses changes once in a while when rebooting. Sometimes it's COM3 then COM4 then COM5. Autodetect has failed in MapSource for me when I have changed USB devices on the USB port my converter is in with no reboot. That always happens if I use my palm sync cable in the same port or a port on the same internal USB hub. This can be fixed by using another program such as EasyGPS to detect the port then go back into MapSource or by rebooting.