Which GPS Units support topographic display

Guest jamesb

Guest jamesb

I'm about to buy my first GPS. Trying to keep the price under ~$400. I want a unit that will support topographic display. What are folks recomendations?

Thanks

Guest Quinnow

If you want a top shelf unit for well under 400.00 then think no farther than the IIIPlus by garmin. It supports Topo and is very receptive compared to other units. I have both the IIIPlus and the Vista and would take the IIIPlus hands down over anything I have seen out there.

try www.advancedgps.com but check around first to be sure what you are getting and how much you are paying for it.

------------------

Quinn Stone

Rochester, NY.14616

www.Navicache.com

Guest Anton

ntenna jack, all in a handheld shape rather than the dashboard prism.

Anton

------------------

Anton Ninno - N2RUD

Syracuse, NY 13210

Guest Moun10Bike

The problem with the III+ (which I own in addition to an eTrex Vista) is its limited memory -- 1.4 MB. The topo maps in my area have a lot of detail, so I am limited to roughly 1 degree by 1 degree upload. With the Vista and its 24 MB of memory, I can put in almost twenty times as much. The GPSMAP 76 (8 MB), eMap (8 to 128 MB), and eTrex Legend (8 MB) are other options to consider when looking for something for geocaching that will diplay topo maps. (Do any other brands, such as Magellan, offer topo maps?)

By the way, be sure to keep in mind the cost of the Garmin Mapsource CDs and necessary cables when you choose a model. Some Garmin models come with a PC cable as part of the price, others don't, and the Mapsource Topo map CD runs around $100.

Guest mcb

I would suggest the GPSMAP 76. It has a nice large screen (Yes this does make it a slighly bulky unit). It should be easier to read then any of the eTrex units. It has 8MB of memory. (That will load TOPO data for the top third of Ohio for example) It has a quadrifilar antenna and is WAAS capable. This is similara antenna to the III+ and should give you a little better reception then the patch antenna in the eTrex unit. I will probable replace my III+ with the GPSMAP 76 in the near future.

mcb

Guest Anton

And... The GPS MAP76 has an external antenna jack, too! Nothing improves reception more than adding an external antenna. That's tough to do with the eTrex series - no jack.

Anton

------------------

Anton Ninno - N2RUD

Syracuse, NY 13210

Guest jamesb

IT appears the GPSMAP 76 is a very new product. Most of the vendors don't seem to have it in stock. Any one have any idea if these are even avaialble yet?

I'm impatient and want to get started soon!

Thanks for all the info guys.

James

Guest jamesb

Checked with Tvnav and they are out of stock. evry place I have tried is out of stock. The guy at tvnav said garmin was holding them up for some reason. Hmmm, hope there is not something worng with them. I know the gpsmap 76 is WAAS enabled, are any of the others mentioned here?

James

Guest Moun10Bike

The Vista was held up, too -- it's probably just higher demand than expected.

The Vista and the Legend are the only other units mentioned above that are WAAS enabled. I own a Vista and really like it, though it does have its disadvantages (like any model out there).

[This message has been edited by Moun10Bike (edited 09 May 2001).]

Guest jamesb

Well that does it, just bought a vista from http://www.gpsdiscount.com/. They had the units in stock and with the overnight shipping cost me $320.00. The only thing I wish it had was a larger screen. I'm worried it will be difficult to read.

Looks like I'll be going after the first cache this weekend! I can't wait!

James

Guest Moun10Bike

Congrats! I think that you will like the Vista. The screen is small, but it is only a problem if you are trying to look at details while driving or the like. It has great clarity and legibility when you are holding it, and even when driving you can make out the roads fairly easily. My biggest gripe with it is that is doesn't support an external antenna.

Did you order the Garmin MapSource Topo CD for topo maps? I also recommend the Metroguide CDs. It's nice to be 200 miles from home in an unfamiliar area and be able to locate the nearest Italian restaurant! icon_smile.gif

Guest Moun10Bike

Congrats! I think that you will like the Vista. The screen is small, but it is only a problem if you are trying to look at details while driving or the like. It has great clarity and legibility when you are holding it, and even when driving you can make out the roads fairly easily. My biggest gripe with it is that is doesn't support an external antenna.

Did you order the Garmin MapSource Topo CD for topo maps? I also recommend the Metroguide CDs. It's nice to be 200 miles from home in an unfamiliar area and be able to locate the nearest Italian restaurant! icon_smile.gif

Guest jamesb

YEah I got the Mapsource Topo CD. I want to use this when up hunting or general hiking, and I know how usefull topo information has been to me in the past. That is the primary reason I was worried about display size, the topo stuff can get fairly detailed.

I should get it tomorow. Now I just need to learn how to use it in a hurry.

James

Guest Moun10Bike

Be warned, the topo data is based on the USGS 1:100,000 (or is it 1:250:000?) maps, so it is not as detailed as a 7.5-minute topo. Also, the data is out-of-date, so many roads fail to show. However, my biggest gripe is that the darker topo lines look EXACTLY like roads when viewed on the GPS, even the Vista -- it's very confusing when you are in an area with multiple intersecting roads and topo lines.

Guest n6mhg

Nobody seems to have mentioned the Garmin eMap. What is it, chopped liver?

I just purchased one at Walmart for $169 and change (the bare bones unit) and will be purchasing some accessories as I can.

The reason I picked it over the Vista is for the external antenna port (yes, I could use a reradiating antenna for the Vista) and the size of the screen (in spite of the high quality display of the Vista.) Also, I can jam a whole bunch of memory in the eMap should I feel the need for more than 8 or 16 meg.

Yes, a little more water resistance would be desirable in the eMap. I figure if I don't take it with me swimming and use a ziplock baggie if I'm going to be in the rain, that I should be fairly well off. :-)

The eMap is a fine unit but... I don't think is is the best unit for backwood navigation. It is not water proof and when compared to something like the III+ or GPSMAP 76 is missing some very nice navigation screens that are helpful. It also does not have the data display flexibility that the above mentioned units have. Its great for vehical navigation but it lacks some features to make a good backwoods navigator.

mcb

Guest peter

quote:
Originally posted by mcb:

The eMap is a fine unit but... I don't think is is the best unit for backwood navigation. It is not water proof and when compared to something like the III+ or GPSMAP 76 is missing some very nice navigation screens that are helpful.

When I did a survey of the available GPSRs about a year ago, I decided that the eMap was the most versatile unit for a variety of applications concentrating on hiking, bicycling, kayaking, and some driving. Even with the introduction of the new eTrex models (esp. Legend and Vista), the Mag. 330, and the Map76, I would still choose it for those applications. The only features I see it lacking are ones that relate to applications where you follow a straight line course and need to know by how much you deviate from it. Examples would be ships going in a channel or airplanes following a glide path to a runway. For these uses, the 'Highway' page and associated CDI, TRN, and alarms are valuable, but they are features I never used on my previous GPSR when hiking, biking, or kayaking. The versatility of the user-definable displays of the Map76 are valuable if it is mounted on a ship where you want to see all information at once without needing to take a hand off the helm, but while hiking it's not a problem to push an extra key every once in a while.

For hiking, the eMap has a case size and flat shape that make it the easiest GPSR to slip into a pocket yet it also has one of the larger screen sizes which is very useful when trying to interpret topo lines on the map.

As to the waterproof rating, the eMap has the memory card slot in the battery compartment that keeps it from being rated as submersible, but I've found it to be quite water resistant in normal use. It's been sitting on my bicycle handlebars through several hard showers without any sign of moisture getting inside. For seakayaking I do put it in a clear waterproof bag, but I wouldn't trust any other GPSR model to constant saltwater spray/immersion without similar protection. Most (all?) do not rate the electrical contacts and/or battery cases as waterproof against the type of pressure generated by a breaking ocean wave.