Discontinuing the Garmin V

I think they're "discontinuing" the GPS V in favor of the GPS V Deluxe, the only difference being that the deluxe comes with an unlock code for the entire US (or all of Europe in that market) rather than just for one region.

It's really only a change in the pricing model, rather than a change in the product line.

In general, I don't put too much faith in what the sales droids say. A few months back I asked a person at the counter in KMart which GPS units they carried, and responded "none", but then I pointed to the yellow etrex on the shelf behind him, and he said "Oh... that's the only one we carry", but I had already lost all faith in the answers he was giving me.

-- Mitch

"Dyslexics of the world, UNTIE!"

quote:
Originally posted by Pneumatic:

I think they're "discontinuing" the GPS V in favor of the GPS V Deluxe, the only difference being that the deluxe comes with an unlock code for the entire US (or all of Europe in that market) rather than just for one region.

I have to agree with you on that one.

My distributor has already discontinued the V but are now providing the V Deluxe instead.

If you look at the differences between the Garmin GPS V and the Garmin GPS V Deluxe you'll find that they are the exact same product except that the deluxe version comes with full coverage and full unlock and costs about a $100 more. Otherwise, its the same exact product. icon_rolleyes.gif

If you look at the differences between the Garmin GPS V and the Garmin GPS V Deluxe you'll find that they are the exact same product except that the deluxe version comes with full coverage and full unlock and costs about a $100 more. Otherwise, its the same exact product. icon_rolleyes.gif

You can get the GPS V Deluxe package for as little at $412 at sites like tvnav.com, gpsdiscount.com and thegpsstore.com.

The City Select maps included in the original GPS V package only cover about 120 major cities total and includes an unlock code for 1 area (about 20 cities). The GPS V Deluxe maps cover almost all cities (thousands and thousands) and includes the unlock code for all of them. The additional coverage and complete unlock code is well worth the extra money.

If you were to buy an original GPS V package today (which icludes only 1 unlock area), you qualify to get a free update for the additioan city coverage for your 1 area. If you then want to unlock all areas, it will cost an additional $100.

See: http://www.garmin.com/unlock/index.html

So buying an original GPS V package for $369 vs $412 for the Deluxe is not much of a bargain, especially if you don't have to pay sales tax for the Deluxe package.

Steve Simpki

I think if all other aspects are equal, I would buy the GPS V Deluxe in the hopes that it would have the most updated basemap. I don't know if the basemaps are different between the two products, but what the hey! Also, keep in mind that when Garmin updated the Metroguide CD, they were charging $100 to replace your old CD. They ended up only charging $48 after a couple of months.

I just got off the phone with tvnav.com about this issue. It seems they sold out of Garmin GPS V Deluxe units yesterday (8-Jul). Their price was $415 + $10 S&H. They still have the orig. GPS V in stock. Price would be $360 + $10 S&H. If you buy now, you can upgrade to the new software for $50 with all-unlock. So for $420 delivered you have an identical package to the GPS V Deluxe. The only snag is that you have to do the upgrade directly with Garmin thru the mail ... who know how long it will take the disc. If it's the typical 4-6 weeks, summer is gone.

I'm gonna keep looking for the GPS V Deluxe ... GPSCity says they are shipping on 7/18.

quote:
Originally posted by Scabbers:

I just got off the phone with tvnav.com about this issue. It seems they sold out of Garmin GPS V Deluxe units yesterday (8-Jul). Their price was $415 + $10 S&H. They still have the orig. GPS V in stock. Price would be $360 + $10 S&H. If you buy now, you can upgrade to the new software for $50 with all-unlock. So for $420 delivered you have an identical package to the GPS V Deluxe.

After seening this post yesterday I immediatly called tvnav.com and ordered the regular gps v. What a deal. I recently tried to buy one on E-bay and to make a long story short this is a better deal all around. Would suggest this site to anyone. I spoke to Glenda over the phone and she was very helpful. I dunno how many they got left though, she acted like only a few.

Seems to me that if you don't need all the fancy route planning functions, the MAP76S has more going for it at about the same price. Am I missing something here? Help!

I'm thinking about upgrading from the MAP76, which was an upgrade from my earlier 12MAP unit. I don't think I care about the routing features, but I do want more memory, an electronic compass, and the electronic altimeter-barometer. That would appear to make the MAP76S a clear winner.

Anton - N2RUD

Syracuse, NY